Green Lantern Coaster

joz

The parks have been extremely busy (with the exception of yesterday at Wet'n'Wild due to the rain). Wet'n'Wild has been hovering just below 10, 000 guests on a given day for the past few days with the expectation of over 11, 000 today. If the council was smart, they'd head down to Wet'n'Wild and Movie World and book all the illegal parking.

Didn't stop me from shitting myself on it.

I thought that seat smelt funny. I guess it's all relative, I just about shat myself on the Star Flyer at Tivoli in Copenhagen, I couldn't wait for it to end. They were pretty much a double seat version of a wave swinger seat suspended by chains. It did not inspire the slightest feeling of security. I shudder to think what the lines will be like now for Green Lantern, and everything else for that matter. Would positioning rides at the front of the park like the have with GL give MW less noise hassles with their neighbours, do noise issues with neighbours limit development options?

Majority of the people parking on grass are in fact parking on private property. The few who do park on the outside of the perimeter fence aren't worth it. If WVTP don't complain to council \ police about the parking (and why would they when they're making money off of it), it's unlikely that would happen. On the other hand - the police should grab a group together like they did at Ipswich and Gold Coast V8's, and run through the parking lot checking rego and defects. THAT would be worth their while.

Theres been a few complaints on the MW facebook page about Green Lantern having problems. These people just dont get it. Theyre moaning that its a new ride so it shouldnt have any problems, dont they get how coasters are complex machines and in early stages theyll break down? Then they pull the whole "Guess Im going to Dreamworld where all their rides are open" Oh wow.

Majority of the people parking on grass are in fact parking on private property. The few who do park on the outside of the perimeter fence aren't worth it. If WVTP don't complain to council \ police about the parking (and why would they when they're making money off of it), it's unlikely that would happen. On the other hand - the police should grab a group together like they did at Ipswich and Gold Coast V8's, and run through the parking lot checking rego and defects. THAT would be worth their while.

Not bein a cop myself I'd probably go and offer some help cause MW has a massive carpark - and especially full up there are rows and rows of cars that look like they stretch for miles. The cops would need a big group though - they could split it up so that one lot does one quarter of the cars. Would probably speed things up a bit.

In all honesty - Ipswich's carpark for the V8s would have easily been bigger than MovieWorld's. They took a team of 10 people - two to a row, and just walked up and down each car. They know what they're looking for and can judge by eye whether they need a closer look. They don't actually stop - except to put a small slip of coloured paper on the wipers. Another crew will come through (with the infringement books, measuring tape, etc) in a vehicle, and they issue the tickets. Its surprisingly fast how they accomplish it. I would wager that Movieworld's blacktop carpark could be knocked over in less than an hour. The grassed area in about another 45 minutes.

http://www.facebook.com/movieworldgoldcoast/posts/10150478568982182 Looking for ride ideas, or just some random "fun" thing to post? I doubt they'd ask the public for ideas, if there's a new ride they probably know what it'll be, but is this maybe a hint for a replacement for Batman, or just wishful thinking? Have to say, I see no point in a "woman super hero ride" and I think its stupid that people are complaining about the SuperMAN, BatMAN ect. There really arent any female super heros besides Wonder Woman and "The Wonder Woman Ride" sounds stupid.

Seriously whether a ride is Superman themed or Wonder Woman themed what difference would it make? Of course Superman is more popular, but lets say if they renamed Green Lantern to "Wonder Woman - The Amazing Flight", there would be just the same amount of visitors wanting to ride, as almost all of the GP come to ride the actual coaster regardless of the theme. Of course Superman would be much easier to market, I can't see a female superhero ride being a bad thing, or a bad move.

Edited by Linus1995

^Totally agree, a good ride is a good ride, I couldn't care less what they call it. I mean I'll still think Bizarro at SF New England is great even if they called it "Nickelback's Ride of Steel" or "Fairly Boring Coaster". There are some fairly mystifying names and concepts out there, Rita: Queen of Speed at Alton is one of the first that comes to mind.

Edited by downunder

I think if a coaster got a name like that, it would be seen as a parody. Its kind of like how on TV and Radio shows they often give segments ridiculous sounding long names. Not meant to be taken seriously, but to draw attention and a laugh.

Seriously whether a ride is Superman themed or Wonder Woman themed what difference would it make?

Merchandise sales. Edited by Gazza

After riding it today will say I was impressed. The looping audio in the queue became somewhat annoying though. Still not as good as Superman but it is up there. Dreamworld may have a well themed ride with Buzzsaw but Green Lantern beats it hands down through ride experience. One thing it has against it is loading though. Seems a complicated setup which gets worse when for some reason something goes wrong and they have to restart the whole procedure from pulling down the lap bar. Looking forward to getting out of the peak period and getting a large number of rides in. On board audio wasn't noticeable either but even without it the ride is a solid addition and something the park should be proud of.

The onboard audio was out of action from around 11:30am... technical difficulties apparently. One thing that I thought was REALLY poor of them today was around 3:30pm they announced that the ride was going to close to add an extra train to "increase capacity" so it went from 4 trains to 5... this whole process took around 40 minutes and the coaster didn't open till around 4:15pm... IMO it would have been better to not bother adding the 5th carriage so late in the day and just keep loading the ride... turned a 40 minute queue into nearly 90 minutes...I will say though, the staff on the ride really did do the best they could to keep moving the queue through today... but the loading procedure really does seem very complex and frustrating. Unloading 2 carriages first while 1 is behind it waiting to come into the station... then loading the 2 and moving them both forward while one starts the ride and the other waits for the train ahead to clear the block before moving forward again (much like scooby doo.) This system works well for rides like scooby as the cars are moving very often whereas with Green Lantern there is almost always 4 trains in the station whilst one maybe 2 are on the circuit...

I think it works fine for GL too. They just need to not stack, and that's not an easy trick to pull off with the way checks are performed and how long unloading takes. I think they'll be doing well to not stack with 4 trains, and they'll be doing very well to run 6 with with only minimal stacking. As it is I think they've been doing an ok job of it, but agree with Spotty that trying to add a 5th train was a bit silly though, gotta give them credit for trying I guess. Hopefully then can get that down to an exact science and get trains on and off the track in 5/10 mins or so, but with the cumbersome operations procedures preferred by Village, I do wonder if the ability to add extra capacity quickly is a pipe dream.

I know nothing of the reasons why, and I'm guessing it had more to do with Australian regulations than anything else, but I've always been impressed at how parks like Disneyland add and remove vehicles seemingly on a whim. And they do this with little fuss, disruption or down time. Most other parks adding or removing a train is a major effort.