Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Something makes me think that people are never happy and just want to winge... oh yes actually that's exactly what they do. Look at other comments and see complaints about fright nights that you can't get on enough rides and it's just about theming and atmosphere, seriously, no one is ever happy.

I agree too actually...How long ago was it people were saying stuff to the effect of "MW needs one or two more decent coasters to really show up DW"...Come on, we've all seen those posts. And now we have a new coaster something else is wanted.

It doesn't mean the industry can't be shaped. Many Australian's have never been overseas and have never seen how much theming can change a ride. With WV parks having themeing that has not really been looked after too its best, causes people to be shaped to the state of mind where they believe that is the norm. If they did something like the Transformers Ride or many of the Universal or Disney ride I am sure they could really get back into themeing. They really need to look more towards universal who build there ride for a faction of the cost of disney by doing things in house. Plus it provides a balance between thrills and theme.

People are making it out as if MW has no themed attractions whatsoever :wacko:0219-1_Wild-West-Falls_012.jpg 0315-1145_Spooky-Coaster-_DSCF2524.JPG I mean really? 0611-88_Tidal-Wave_IMG_2442.JPG0124-88_Cheetah-Chase_IMG_3642.JPG What's wrong with MW being at that happy halfway point between theming and coasters...I've got parks like Alton Towers and Busch Gardens in mind.

The thing that upset me (being both a parent AND a rollercoaster enthusiast) is that a new rollercoaster (not referring to GL as it's not replacing anything) like Superman or Scooby, comes at the expense of a ride, or experience, that could be enjoyed by everybody. As parents who still enjoy a thrill, if we head to Movie World (or any park for that matter) as a family (ie, without other friends or family, just 2 adults and 1 child) then the number of attractions we can actually all enjoy together are very few, and we can only enjoy the thrill rides if we both queue and ride separately. Australian parks would do well to take a leaf out of Universal's book and have some kind of parent's switch lounge (not too mention a separate front row seats queue for coasters, but thats another thread) so that riding one ride does not become a 90 minute baby sitting / swapping ordeal. Do I like Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster? Hell yeah, but at the expense of the Gremlin Adventure, which I could've taken my son on as well, it becomes a little shadier. I guess most of the complaints and arguments on here would be moot if MW received additions rather than replacements. Closures outnumber new attractions, and that is what people get upset about. Would anyone begrudge MW for having 5 rollercoasters, if they still had LTRR, BATR, Gremlins, the studio tour, and a 2nd stage show. No, and it would be competing with the best parks in the world. Now, I know space (or lack thereof) is the main reason for replacements, but I think something needs to be done to expand the parks offerings, as I can't help but think that we spent a fuller day at the park in it's opening years, than we are able to now in the park's current state. /end drunken rant

Edited by strop

I agree too actually...How long ago was it people were saying stuff to the effect of "MW needs one or two more decent coasters to really show up DW"...Come on, we've all seen those posts. And now we have a new coaster something else is wanted.

Can't say I have ever jumped on that boat.

...so that riding one ride does not become a 90 minute baby sitting / swapping ordeal. Would anyone begrudge MW for having 5 rollercoasters, if they still had LTRR, BATR, Gremlins, the studio tour, and a 2nd stage show. No, and it would be competing with the best parks in the world. Now, I know space (or lack thereof) is the main reason for replacements, but I think something needs to be done to expand the parks offerings, as I can't help but think that we spent a fuller day at the park in it's opening years, than we are able to now in the park's current state. /end drunken rant

This, this right here. That's what I'm talking about.

Decided to take a detour home from Brisbane to Logan and pass MW. The coaster looks amazing but I'm not sure about the placement. It could just be the temporary fencing everywhere putting me off, but I must say it is a more intimidating sight driving into the carpark than Buzzsaw.

And GL being more intimidating than buzzsaw is a bad thing? What do you mean you're not sure about the placement? Where should it have gone? On the grass on the other side of the carpark next to the highway? oh.. wait... nevermind.

Didn't say it was a bad thing. If anything is a great thing. Don't have any alternatives in mind, just as I said, not sure about it. About the highway grass area, spoke with my source a few weeks ago and he confirmed from what he has been told it was to be part of the adrenalin park that has been discussed in this thread previously. However at the time he first mentioned it, the idea had not been confirmed due to the issues I have mentioned previously.

Nice photo Ian. Is the track now fully complete? looks like they are planning for a pre-Boxing Day opening

The track was already complete in the October 22 Parkz Update. Cool pic Ian, can't see it in full since I'm on moblie, but it reminds me of the artwork on a Knex coaster box. Edited by Gazza

^^ With construction being completed so quickly I wouldn't be surprised. I'd imagine testing will start within the next couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see whether any more trims are added to the first drop. Compare it to this pic of Mumbo Jumbo. It seems the trims on existing El Locos make the drop seem too controlled (based on the few POV's I've seen). I know they're required to keep forces intact but I do wonder if the unique elements (8 person cars and what appears to be a taller variation of the standard layout) of GL have allowed S&S to get away with less trims. If so that first drop will be brilliant!

The track was already complete in the October 22 Parkz Update.

Sorry, I've just found out I missed the 3 most recent updates. I used to rely on them being posted in the Latest News & Updates forum. As I come straight to the View New Content page on the forums, I have missed them just being posted on the home page. Thanks for the heads up though.

It'll be interesting to see whether any more trims are added to the first drop. Compare it to this pic of Mumbo Jumbo. It seems the trims on existing El Locos make the drop seem too controlled (based on the few POV's I've seen). I know they're required to keep forces intact but I do wonder if the unique elements (8 person cars and what appears to be a taller variation of the standard layout) of GL have allowed S&S to get away with less trims. If so that first drop will be brilliant!

I don't think any more trims will be added actually woo! But...this might not exactly translate into more speed down the drop. My theory for why there are less trims on Green Lantern has to do with the small incline just before drop. I'm going to borrow Gazza's pic from a couple pages ago to explain this one: post-1433-0-86394700-1320391106_thumb.jp If you look closely at the turn around section after the lift hill, Green Lantern has a small incline/hill after the turn around leading into the drop. However, Steel Hawg has just a straight peice of track; no elevation change. So on SH more trims are needed to reduce the speed, to keep the forces intact (hopefully that makes sense). But with GL i'm guessing S&S's design intent is to slow the car right down just before the drop....to give it a 'Shiekra hanging sensation'. So the car will reduce it's speed because of the incline, hit the trims, crawl through them......and then drop. Yes there won't be trims down the drop, but you'll probably be going at the same velocity as SH because of that small hill; keeping the forces at a safe level. It'll feel different though as the car will be accelerating down the whole way...unlike SH which is a controlled descent. I much prefer our altered version as their won't be any brakes, all free-fall :D Edited by Luke

I don't think any more trims will be added actually woo! But...this might not exactly translate into more speed down the drop. My theory for why there are less trims on Green Lantern has to do with the small incline just before drop. I'm going to borrow Gazza's pic from a couple pages ago to explain this one: post-1433-0-86394700-1320391106_thumb.jp If you look closely at the turn around section after the lift hill, Green Lantern has a small incline/hill after the turn around leading into the drop. However, Steel Hawg has just a straight peice of track; no elevation change. So on SH more trims are needed to reduce the speed, to keep the forces intact (hopefully that makes sense). But with GL i'm guessing S&S's design intent is to slow the car right down just before the drop....to give it a 'Shiekra hanging sensation'. So the car will reduce it's speed because of the incline, hit the trims, crawl through them......and then drop. Yes there won't be trims down the drop, but you'll probably be going at the same velocity as SH; keeping the forces at a safe level. It'll feel different though as the car will be accelerating down the whole way...unlike SH which is a controlled descent. I much prefer our altered version as their won't be any brakes, all free-fall :D

If you're right, that's fucking awesome.

I think that most people on this board and, indeed the general public included, are more than happy to see Movieworld gain another coaster. I count myself amongst those and especially as it is an El Loco model, whose virtues I have been extolling for quite a while. ( I have been campaigning for one of these to be added to either Luna Parks ride roster ever since I first saw them). The coaster is going to be a massive hit, that is a given. However, I feel that some criticism should be leveled at Movieworld for their removal of attractions and the timing in when they have been removed. As has been stated before, we now have seen LTRR, Marvin The Martian Rocket ( no explanation given for this ride removal at all), Batman the Ride 2 all bite the dust WITH no replacement whatsoever in the wings.I am happy to see these rides be replaced with something new and exciting but surely their removal could have been tiered so that their actual replacement would be closer to being announced?? It doesnt make sense to close a major ride like LTRR or Batman 2 without having some idea of what is going to replace it. Now that these 3 rides are gone, to be replaced with only one new ride (Green Lantern) the value of Movieworld appears to have lessoned considerably. Dont get me wrong, I am sure that MW will eventually replace both LTRR and Batman with something that will be brilliant, but the way in which they have managed these closures (for whatever reason), to me, appears off the mark. Its a similar story at Seaworld. Pirate Ship, Bermuda and even the Seaworld train have all gone quietly from the ride roster. Sure we have had Jet ski and the Battle Galleons added since then but in my mind a theme park should GROW and ADD new attractions, not simply replace older ones. The ride lineup should at least increase, not decrease over time, and if it does, this will add to the perception of value to any family visiting the park. As it stands now, MovieWorld have a long way to go before it is percieved a full day park. Just my perception. :)

^spot on what you said here. i know myself and so many others have all expressed the same concerns. Unfortunately we are the voices of the Enthusiasts who no doubt make up less than 1% of the people going to the Parks. The loudest our voices can shout is through sites like this one but at the end of the day we are still only 1% and care about all the shit that most people out there don't even notice. I think they are now treading a little dangerously with the most recent decision to close batman though You know what? I bet all of these closures came about as a result of Guest feedback surveys.The closures only started happening after the VIP passes kicked off. I am sure the surveys would have asked multiple choice questions like "What types of rides or attractions would you like to see more of?" with everybody circling a roller-coaster over other options like dark, family or water rides. Remember about a year ago some individuals who worked at the Park were blabbing on here about something being planned to replace the Looney Tunes Ride for a Christmas 2011 opening? BTW this person hasn't been back here for nearly a year.. anyway it was probably announced at an awards night ages ago.. Anyway whatever ''it'' was had no place whatsoever themeing wise in the realm of the Looney Tunes.. Evidently some surveys were later put out to customers voting on for another rollercoaster and forcing it to be built at the front. They probably reviewed the customer reaction to the closure of Bermuda finding the level of complaints to be surprisingly few and thought ''fuck it, you reckon anyone will notice if we shutdown the Tune ride?" And perhaps 6 months on after the Tune ride's closure they again saw surprisingly few complaints and negative feedback. Seeing that both Batman Adventure and Tunes drew about the same average daily attendance figure and with marginal complaints coming through from one closure they would expect the same again, I'm probably so right on the money with what i just said that if MW management read this they'd probably go blaming known staff for talking out of line. I want to make it very clear that I have never discussed with or passed on any gossip, rumours or sensitive information from anyone here. In reality, I just know the Park like the back of my hand even after 10 years. I also know that if they can get away with shutting a couple of rides to save drastically under budget that end of year bonus cheque would be looking pretty tasty for somebody - especially with retirement surely just around the corner

I for one know the general public hate these ideas. The only reason they get no complaints is because many of them just wont go to the park. I live in NSW, just north of Gosford and everyone of my friend, have said the same thing about the parks. Here is the list:

• [*]Sea World: Why even bother going all you do is look at animals (Due to lack of rides). If I wanted to do that I would just go to the Aquarium (Sydney), as the only different animals are the Dolphins. Plus the Aquarium has more. [*]Movieworld: Worn down, Very little rides. Combination day with Sea World, and hanging out at surfers. Only three rides. waste of money. With the Green Lantern the park seems confused ( "Management" Should we spend money on thrills or theming) [*]Dreamworld: I have found this to be the most popular. Due to larger amount of rides. Isn't a confused park (Light theming on all rides)
Edited by Cruiseshipfan

I don't know who they are surveying because anyone I have spoken to aren't very happy that two of the most iconic rides of the park are gone. I know these day some of the newer rides could be argued to be more iconic but the majority people I know have grown up with these rides and majority don't want to do roller coaster. Heck, one of them will only do Batman without the simulation, but they still use to do it because they loved the atmosphere and show it put on. Now I am sticking up for them and saying I have no doubt that what will replace them will be fantastic and VRTP have always completed world class top notch rides for their budget. I don't think that will change, but the timing sucks and people who find out what rides have now closed, have basically been very disappointed and said they have no interest to return until those rides are replaced and as long as they are replaced with the same quality and are family friendly; because they really aren't a fan of coasters. I love that we are seeing GL and another coaster for the park it will really help to compete with DW, but I do hope with see some great theming here and I did notice someone asked on Facebook would they do this with GL. I also hope we get very some replacements at both SW and MW and that they can return with some world class family dark rides. People may say in surveys they want coasters, but its amazing how people can love and swarm to well put together attractions/rides. Look at WWF its more of a family/thrill but everyone I know loves because it really seems to get them involved. Another ride like that would no doubt have the same effect, but I just don't see people writing that on a survey I can just see them going BUILD A COASTER!! However, then complaining there isn't enough family rides for them to do, but they'll ask for another coaster int eh next survey. I couldn't agree more with the statement people just look for something to complain and whinge about. So overall, I have faith that we will something, but the timing absolutely sucks and I hope we see replacements soon and some complaints, because the people I know are disappointed!