Green Lantern Coaster

joz

From Movie Worlds facebook. "We know we’re all obsessed with GREEN LANTERN at the moment but let’s not forget our other favourites. Have you checked out the newly released trailer for The Dark Knight Rises yet? We feel a new obsession coming on!!! " Some sort of inference to whats going in next year? Or am I reading into it too much. :P Anyway, the line looks nice. Needs more shade, mist sprays or something. Maybe its just my inner 'Melbournite' coming out, but I would struggle standing around on a hot, busy day.

I think what Movieworld has shown with Green Lantern is their ability to adapt with their surroundings. Which they have done with all the other great attractions they have added over the years. From the photos i have seen Green Lantern fits very well into the space they have allocated it. The themeing that they have planned uses the environment to add to the attraction. What they did with Superman Escape and Scooby is fantastic but the location of the attractions lend themself to the type of themeing they created. Superman replaced the Studio tour so there where vacant sound stages to install the ride into and hence a dark ride section was created. Plus the sound stages were already constructed, there was no need to budget as part of the attraction the construction cost for new sound stages. Movieworld has strict sound regulations at the back of the park, AKA the scream shield on the side of Wild West Falls. The only vacant space in the park for GL was at the front, sure they could have enclosed the station like Scooby and Superman, but haven't they already done that?

I think that they have done a great job at theming it when it comes to overall appearance but when it comes to the actual theming you experience during the ride it lacks. There is hardly a storyline it kind of just feels like a roller coaster and nothing more (Similar to Buzzsaw). Superman Escape has a story behind it and it feels like there is a point to the ride other than it just being a ride. It would have been nice if they could play a bit of a story through the on-ride speakers and maybe added a few effects etc to the ride itself. To me the giant logo isn't necessarily theming but just kind of looks cool.

.The only vacant space in the park for GL was at the front, sure they could have enclosed the station like Scooby and Superman, but haven't they already done that?

Sure they have, but it makes the ride look less cheap.... Now it's kind of like "Jet Rescue" and it's station roof.

I loooooove love love the giant logo - well done Movie World.

It's pointless though and to me looks out of place, The point of theming is to add to the ride experience which this doesn't. Edited by whitsy

It's pointless though and to me looks out of place, The point of theming is to add to the ride experience which this doesn't.

I think it was more for the overall appearance of the coaster from the car park to get people excited about riding, a bit like the giant saws on the front of buzzsaws station.

Bmull (Or anyone who rode today) have they fixed the on-board audio? And does the giant green lantern symbol just light up, or does it pulsate like the ones on the cars? In terms of intensity, does it fit in between superman and scooby? Looks like one solid coaster atm through that on-board pov. Brakes aren't too harsh either which is fantastic! Although a great looking coaster; looks like heaps of fun! the themeing hmm :/ Compared to Movieworld's other coasters, green lantern is lacking themeing. From the pics I have seen it's much better than most things at dreamworld or any six flags park; much more organised and you can tell a lot of effort has been put into each comic panel and 3D figure. But it does lack that feeling of entering a different place/world...telling a story. And no, the generic story of Green Lantern doesn't count in my books. It's a bit of a shame really...missed opportunity. Imo Dreamworld's saw mill queue and station has is more immersive than mw's latest offering. I think it's partly because it fits in nicely with the existing Goldrush area. And partly because, as Gazza said, a rustic saw mill is much cheaper and easier to pull off than a Green Lantern theme. I always thought an easy theme for this ride would be to present the queue as the training centre/grounds (Green Lantern Academy??) for the Green Lantern corps. For some reason they need more lanterns to fight for peace and justice haha Thus they are recruiting new intergalactic police officers for the corps, and you, the rider, are trying out for this honor. Quoting this from the wbmw myfun webstie: " A GREEN LANTERN must be someone who has the fortitude and willpower to overcome great fear." I envisioned the coaster to be the final test/training unit used by the Crops. to sperate the men from the boys...or in this case to pick the new Green Lanterns out of the humans by riding the coaster (overcoming great fear). This helps tie in the "will you face your fears on the new Green Lantern coaster" that they have been trying to push through their ads. If they had more money after that....they could have done a cool real-time computer effect that selected out one person in each train to be the new green lantern recruit as the car arrived back in the station. Just using a tv-screen and a live video feed, they could display footage of the cars arriving into the station on an screen, where a computer program edits in a green glow around one of the riders. maybe a voice over saying "congrats, you've been selected....blah blah blah". *sigh* that would have been awesome. *EDIT* - Looked through my post tis a bit too negative. In saying that above, I do like the themeing for Green lantern, and the area is presented very neatly....looks very polished. The improvements to the coaster design are great as well; I love the coaster, no problems. But when compared to Superman, scooby, wwf, batman and loony tunes, green lantern just doesn't immerse you into a world/place. It's something what movieworld does best....and did do until batwing.

Edited by Luke

Sure they have, but it makes the ride look less cheap.... Now it's kind of like "Jet Rescue" and it's station roof. Eh i was there today and i thought it was a freash experience, the queue being really open and then the ride and station feeling almost exposed. It's pointless though and to me looks out of place, The point of theming is to add to the ride experience which this doesn't.

I guess i see the logo adding to the overall enjoyment of the experience with the Theme Park not just one ride. The lantern faces the highway so it creates excitement and interest for people driving past.... Plus it creates anticipation for guests arriving in the park in the morning... Each to their own i guess....

Visited Movie World today just to ride GL. I was there at 9.30 and it didn't appear like there were any media on the coaster? At first the Ride Ops didn't have an idea if it were going to open but it did around 12ish and it was running (with a few hiccups) when I left which was about 3.30 Got to ride it twice and I must say I am very impressed with everything! Loved the ride, Loved the station and queue graphics, loved the sound effects throughout the queue (near the entrance of the queue you hear the Green Lantern Corps. reciting the oath. As you move closer to the Parallax figure you hear it growl "Surrender to your fear!") I did notice in the queue there are misting/fogging tubing lining the tops of the concert walls either side of the path where all the hero and villain figures stand which will add to the atmosphere in that area once they are up and running. I think the thing that took me most by surprise was the onboard audio - its just so different to have a soundtrack in your ears (I read a few comments about the volume being to low, but I had no problem with it?) And of course I had to take a few snaps for us all! Enjoy: post-937-0-65983100-1324621328_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-24124800-1324621363_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-49585800-1324621388_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-40090500-1324621403_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-26305500-1324622362_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-11203400-1324622379_thumb.jpg post-937-0-69460100-1324622403_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-87859500-1324622428_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-81197100-1324622450_thumb.jpgpost-937-0-47917900-1324622469_thumb.jpg