Construction Moves Forward...

Richard

I have to say that I really like the sound of Dreamworld's refurbished Wildlife Experience. I like the fact that they have separated the area into different themes (each representing a distinct Australian environment). Afterall, it IS a THEME PARK. I would be very impressed if I was visiting from overseas... much better than Wonderland's very basic Australian Wildlife Park (it is in a particularly bad state right now). Congrats to Dreamworld for all the great recent refurbs! On another note, I was looking over DW's owners corporate website and reading some of their reports. It noted that attendances have continued to increase during the second half of last year and the first half of this year. It also mentioned that the temporary Tomb Raider exhibit was very well received and that this proved that DW was able to 'prudently manage its capital investments'. I am concerned that DW may feel that it is not neccesary to add expensive new rides when they are able to add temporary exhibits and still gain an increase in visitation. I also read that DW's 'intensive 3 year capital investment campaign' has come to an end. Do you still think it is likely that DW will continue to add major new permanent attrations on a regular basis? How sure are you Richard that a new RIDE is actually coming this year? I may be just reading into it all a bit too much

Well, reporting season is upon us, and Dreamworld have released a huge amount of information on www.asx.com.au. It's been a good 6 months for Dreamworld, which proves what you can do when you ignore 'economic downturns'. Dreamworld has been heavily targeting the local market, and with great success. 40% of the parks visitors are now from Queensland (up from 35% 4 years ago) and 39% are interstate (up from 32% 4 years back. Four years ago, 33% of the parks guests were from overseas, while today that figure is at 21%. On the whole this year, attendance is up a huge 13.2%, however per capita spending is up 1.5%, which isn't as promising as it sounds. In perspective, this means that last year, guests were spending $50.68 on a day, and this year, the average guest spends $51.44. This is at a time when the price to enter the park rose $2. Add food and Bev and retail increases and you can see what I mean. I suspect this may be due to increased 'Max Action Pass' sales, and increased numbers of kids in the park (see below) Also interestingly listed are the groups success (so far this year), which include an increase in 20% of the number of kids in the park (may also explain the low-ish per capita spending), and higher show & entertainment content. Apparently, these include the Tomb Raider exhibit, Big Brother House Parties and the petting zoo (what the...?) Sadly, among the success, minimal Capital expenditure for the financial year 2004. In other words, don't count on Thunderbolt's shinny new replacement anytime soon.

Second the thoughts on the new animal exhibits being only a good thing for the park.  I do get the feeling though that this one will be aimed more at the domestic market and School groups than at the international market (although most of the tour groups will probably see it). Wilsy, what did you ask Dreamworld?  Did you ask what their new attraction is or what is being built up the back of the park?  Depending on how you asked the question could explain the bizarre answer...  unless their calling the Gyro Swing Tomb Raider - which is such a bad idea I'm surprised no ones done it yet. Also on a final note www.dreamworld.com.au doesn't capitalise the 'w', so I think you better e-mail them quick and point out their mistake  :D
Yeah i dont know y one person told me that it was tomb raider, i asked what the new attraction was currently being built in the back half of the park. And thats what the guy told me from public realations. So i runfg them up the next day and spoke to some lady and she said it was a petting zoo as richard said. Dreamworld are realeasing an offical press confrence on monday she said about new attraction.

Well, I'm sure enough to actually post it here. As I've said before, I don't play the "rumour game". With me it's about reporting on the industry. If I overhear two operators discussing a new whopping great ride, I'm not going to go around and spread the word. I use stock exchange reports, council and government documents and the first-hand words of park officials. The ride has been confirmed for me by two of the above sources. As far back as August last year and as recently as a few weeks back. With Nick Central, they finished their four year plan to strengthen their position in their three key demographics - teen (thrill rides - Giant Drop and Cyclone), foreign (wildlife - Australian Wildlife Experience) and family (childrens area - Nickelodeon Central). I'd not think for a second that Dreamworld, now that Tomb Raider proved to be the success that it apparently was, would shift away from thrill rides. I remember Dreamworld's CEO, Tony Braxton-Smith being quoted in a number of articles and whatnot saying that Cyclone was not the end in terms of thrill rides and the future direction for the park would still remain on thrill rides. In short, this year will be a year for one of these new thrill rides. :)