Nickelodeon is moving for a Sea change!

S.W24

Nickelodeon & Nick Jr. are coming to Sea World & Sea World Resort this Christmas! Village Roadshow Theme Parks and Nickelodeon have joined forces in an exciting new partnership that will bring the world’s first-ever SpongeBob SquarePants parade to Sea World on the Gold Coast this summer. A large-scale attraction for fans of all ages, the parade will be developed exclusively for Sea World by the creative team behind SpongeBob SquarePants and will feature key characters from the hugely popular SpongeBob SquarePants series. There will also be a live stage show of Nick Jr.’s Dora the Explorer that will feature character appearances to entertain pre-school aged kids at Sea World. Nickelodeon and Nick Jr will also be integrated into the Sea World Resort water park and kids’ club. Additionally, a range of SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer consumer products will be available as part of the Nickelodeon integration, including some items offered exclusively at Sea World. Further details of the SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer attractions and Sea World Resort attractions will be revealed in the coming months, with launch planned for late 2011 during the peak summer holiday period. http://seaworld.myfun.com.au/Visitor-Information/News/NICKELODEON%20COMES%20TO%20SEAWORLD.aspx

Wow. Great news for Seaworld. Makes more sense for Seaworld to be the home of Spongebob. I did not see this coming... Omg... The volcano could be carved into a giant pineapple... I wonder what the parade route will be. In other news this is a good sign for show and ent staff... Surely a parade and new show will mean seaworld will gain more show and ent crew ... Or will the show at sesame street beach be discontinued... Also, did dreamworld make the decision to dump nick, or did seaworld offer nick a better deal? My head is swimming.. I'm going to.bed

If you believe the rumor mill Dreamworld decided to change to Dreamworks, so Sea World picked up the license. For me the (perhaps) interesting question is who gets the rights to The Penguins of Madagascar, which a co production between Nick and Dreamworks. Also are they going to add any new rides to Nick Beach? The helicopter ride closed towards the end of last year and that spot could do with a new ride. Regardless you'd have to say it's a good move for Sea World. SpongeBob is a natural fit for Sea World, and Dora the Explorer (despite being one of the more painful kids shows going around) also fits Sea World like a glove. It'll also be the first time Sea World has ever had a parade, and this is supposed to be a big parade, so that might be good I guess. Have to say for me the biggest coup of this from Sea World's point of view must be having the Nick characters at the Sea World Resort. Kids love Nickelodeon, and it's no surprise that the resort is capitalizing by getting a Nick (and water) based attraction. Having the characters there should really give the Resort a huge boost, and their results over the next two years should make for interesting reading. As a final thing I have to ask, is the press release intended for media or the general public? It's up on the website in the news section for anyone to see, but the language in it is spectacularly dull:

"Additionally, a range of SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer consumer products will be available as part of the Nickelodeon integration, including some items offered exclusively at Sea World."

There will be consumer products available as part of the integration you say? Well now you make it sound that exciting I'm sure they'll be lined up all the way down to the Southport Yacht club. Plus I hear the parade won't just have SpongeBob, but will also "feature key characters from the hugely popular SpongeBob SquarePants series.", but we won't bore you with the details on which characters will be in it. Nor will we bore you with letting you know which Nick characters apart from Dora and SpongeBob will be making their home at Sea World, or indeed how long they might be staying for. I know I'm analysing a press release a little too much, but that dull professional corporate speak coming from a theme park really annoys me. It's a theme park, it's supposed to be fun and exciting! That is all :)

Media Release

MEDIA RELEASE August 16 2011 Village Roadshow Theme Parks and Nickelodeon Team Upto Offer First-Ever SpongeBob SquarePants Parade at Sea World Village Roadshow Theme Parks (VRTP) and Nickelodeon have joined forces on an exciting new partnership that will bring the worlds first-ever SpongeBob SquarePants parade to Sea World on the Gold Coast this summer. A large-scale attraction for fans of all ages, the parade will be developed exclusively for Sea World by the creative team behind SpongeBob SquarePants and will feature key characters and design elements from the hugely popular animated series. The multi-year deal between VRTP and Nickelodeon will also include a live stage show of Nick Jr.s Dora the Explorer that will feature character appearances to entertain pre-school aged kids at Sea World. The Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. brands will also be integrated into the Sea World Resort water park and kids club. Additionally, a range of SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer consumer products will be available as part of the Nickelodeon integration, including some items offered exclusively at Sea World. The Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. brands have a unique resonance with families and are the perfect fit for the Sea World and Sea World Resort properties, said Dale Stratford, Executive Director of Marketing, Village Roadshow Theme Parks. This is a fantastic union of world-class entertainment brands, which will be of great benefit to both parties. Nickelodeon is thrilled to be teaming up with Village Roadshow Theme Parks on these new attractions, added Ben Richardson General Manager for Nickelodeon Australia and New Zealand. This is a major milestone for our burgeoning local recreation business and an important next step in our brand expansion across all facets of entertainment for Australians. "We are looking forward to bringing Nickelodeon attractions to kids and families in Australia, said Gerald Raines, Senior Director, Nickelodeon Theme Parks and Attractions. Sea World is a premier family park on the Gold Coast and the ideal location for a one-of-a-kind entertainment experience featuring the pop culture icon and the worlds most optimistic sea sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants. Further details of the SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer attractions and Sea World Resort attractions will be revealed in the coming months, with launch planned for late 2011 during the peak summer holiday period.

-- ---------------- Edited by aussienetman

I spoke with VRTP today, and at this stage no plans have been made to remove the Sesame Street Beach theme. Elmo and Spongebob can live harmoniously side by side ;) Nathan

That depends on if SW later decides to give the Nick characters somewhere to hang out when they're not out on parade. If they later do and SSB (Sesame Street Beach) has to go, then I'm sure most families will be disappointed with Elmo being served an eviction notice. Just my two cents on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

If they later do and SSB (Sesame Street Beach) has to go, then I'm sure most families will be disappointed with Elmo being served an eviction notice. Just my two cents on the subject.

I agree with your two cents! With its exclusive payTV station and only the odd program from it being shown on free to air, I can only assume Nickelodeon caters mainly to pay TV viewers, whereas Sesame Street has always been a free to air program, has a bigger fanbase (not just with kids but with adults such as myself who grew up with it) and is definitely a lot wider recognised in general. The first time I sat down with my kids to watch the show, I got so excited over seeing Big Bird and all the other characters in "real life" up there on the stage. Brought back so many childhood memories and feelings for me :wub: On the other hand, during the time I worked at the park, I didn't even recognise half the characters they had in Cartoon Beach :huh: I think it would be the same for Nick characters, and this is speaking as a parent of 2 small kids lol. I think Sea World would be making a massive mistake if they ever replaced Sesame Street beach, so I hope VRTP are telling the truth when they say its not going to happen <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Parkz will be visiting Seaworld early tomorrow morning for a a sneak peek of the parade and Nickelodeon characters. Also, Michael Croaker – Sea World Director of Operations will be taking questions. If I get the oportunity, are their any burning questions Parkz members would like to ask Michael? Nathan

What's Going on with the Bermuda Triangle?

^ Yes, great question and I would also like this asked. Even though we won't get a real answer I think it's important to let anyone involved with Sea World know we are disappointed it closed and are hoping for an equal or better replacement. SBNO is not good enough, especially for such a small park!

Does the Nick announcement involve any new rides? How long did they secure the contract for at this stage? Are we likely to see any new rides as a result of this? What did you have for breakfast this morning? Will Seaworld be putting on any kind of show/event for Christmas? How much did the contract cost? Can I have free accommodation at the resort?

Parkz media call at Seaworld This morning I attended the media call with the outsiders and channel 9 at Seaworld.. Full video of thr event will be uploaded late tonight so stay tuned. Michael Croaker Director of Operations was our host for the morning. Launching in December is the Spongebob Squarepants parade. Each of the characters in the spongebob universe will be shown in a "narrative" The main stadium will be the area that comes to life everyday. Rather than just using the space directly in front of the stadium, the lake will come to life as well. The central island will become a replica of Bikini bottom and the lake will be installed with high pressure water jets, fountains and geysers. So rather than just a linear parade it will be an immersive experience. Bubble machines installed on the top of the stadium will fill the space. There will be 5-6 floats all with intricate moving pieces. For instance , the Plankton float has 13 different moving parts. All floats are independantly driven by an operator inside each and the total parade will use around 30 staff each day. There will be oportunities for guests to interact with the Spongebob Squarepants characters during the parade. Dora the Explorer and Diego will be taking over thr Sesame Street stage which will be rethemed to match that show. There are no plans to remove sesame street beach. Seaworld resort will be receiving the Spongebob Squarepants aqua playground which will feature a 10 minute show each night . Seaworld resort will also have character meet and greets In my opinion this sounds like an amazing addition to Seaworld and after speaking with Michael he is passionate about creating new experiences for guests. He would not comment on Bermuda Triangle or its planned replacement. Thanks to Seaworld and VRTP for hosting Parkz this morning and stay tuned for video late tonight.

Edited by aussienetman

Does the Nick announcement involve any new rides? How long did they secure the contract for at this stage? Are we likely to see any new rides as a result of this? What did you have for breakfast this morning? Will Seaworld be putting on any kind of show/event for Christmas? How much did the contract cost? Can I have free accommodation at the resort?

I don't see the answer to my most important questions :(

• 1 month later...

It looks like Sesame Street Beach will now be known as bikini bottom or something along that line. I was at sea world yesterday and was in the Sesame Street Beach area and noticed that a few of the rides have been taken down and replaced with seating areas. I also noticed that the arch leading into the area has had all the characters taken down. Thoughts?