Fright Nights 2011

aussienetman

Yeah, we were a bit outnumbered but everyone seemed to get along and got a vibe from the group that it was a good afternoon and they were grateful for the opportunity. Will say this orgy mentioned in the other thread didn't happen but upon first arrival it was kinda obvious why! But yeah, given everything that has happened of late with all the pages everyone was well behaved and was great to see people together enjoying an common interest. Will say I have already got people I work with asking me about the fright nights so I will say it has worked for a word of mouth advertising point of view.

Hi, We did not get to experience the whole Arkham maze, only the entrance corridor and Poison Ivy's lair. Perhaps something big is planned that they wanted to keep under wraps? Inside yesterday we saw Poison Ivy, the Joker and Scarecrow (who was just standing quietly behind me and when I turned around I got a big scare) so without the proper lighting and staging in place it was still an awesome costume and is going to look incredible on the night. Nate

Edited by aussienetman

The Zombie Apocalypse maze sounds similar to the prison break maze they had at Luna Park Melbourne a few years back.(2006?) Effectively was just a maze with strobe lighting, smoke, chain link fence and mirrors. The prisoners would come up from the other side of the fence (from pitch black) and scare the crap out of you, in the end even seeing your reflection in some of the mirrors gave you a fright. At certain points through the maze, very angry prison guards would lead you a certain direction. It was always funny seeing the people trying to get the actors out of character, and then in the end getting a big fright themselves.

Edited by keadz

This sounds like it was an amazing night! I CAN'T WAIT for fright nights now! I'm a bit worried that someone had a panic attack to be honest. A bunch of my friends who I'm taking have quite severe anxiety disorders and it would be absolutely paralysing for something like that to happen to them :( Hopefully the staff can identify those who look like they're having trouble and discretely take them to an exit? I know I'm dreaming big here and I know that the purpose of the mazes is to scare the pants off everyone (and personally I can't wait :lol: ) I just can't turn off my psychologist brain sometimes and am a bit worried about what would happen to those people, especially in zombie apocoalypse which seems to be really hard to escape. I love the idea of the fright night VIP passes. This is definitely something I would jump on board with. I guess the main downside is potential overcrowding again. I guess with the vampire bar, and the extra maze this year, it should spread everybody around enough to keep line sizes more reasonable.

I'm a bit worried that someone had a panic attack to be honest. A bunch of my friends who I'm taking have quite severe anxiety disorders and it would be absolutely paralysing for something like that to happen to them :( Hopefully the staff can identify those who look like they're having trouble and discretely take them to an exit? I know I'm dreaming big here and I know that the purpose of the mazes is to scare the pants off everyone (and personally I can't wait :lol: ) I just can't turn off my psychologist brain sometimes and am a bit worried about what would happen to those people, especially in zombie apocoalypse which seems to be really hard to escape.

Personally knowing some of the actors and their previous scare experience (which includes dealing with a lot of these situations) and taking into account the importance of guest safety and customer service to the park, I would think it's a pretty safe bet that if somebody was suffering from an anxiety attack inside the attraction, the staff would be able to provide adequate assistance. Seeing the amount of effort that's being put in to continually improving the evenings only makes me more excited, i'm looking forward to making it over to at least one.

The Saw Maze is in Soundstage 1 (I believe where it was originally designed for) with the Zombie Apocalypse Maze being in Soundstage 2. Arkham Asylum is in the show stage and Psycho 3D will return to the Scooby Doo queue.

That'll be excellent. I felt the saw maze last year lacked some atmosphere being in the tent. If you ever got to frightened you just looked up and realised you were just in a tent. The soundstage will provide a much more immersive experience.

I haven't posted in a while as I've been on a skiing holiday. There hasn't been much mention of the overcrowding of last year... I really hope it doesn't happen again! Do you guys think that now because VIP pass holders are only guaranteed one entry into Fright Nights the overcrowding will be dealt with? Also is anyone going this Saturday night? I will be heading up there on October 8th and will take some pics and do a minor report, but if someone is already planning on doing this at the first event then I won't bother.

I went last night. I really enjoyed it from about 7:45pm on wards. At the beginning there were problems like the fire alarms going off at the sound stage for zombie and the wind was blowing all the smoke away from the park and the mazes, so zombie was pretty much nothing. I talked to Lynton (the guy who designs and directs the mazes) and he was getting everyone to turn the smoke up. It was just after this the fire alarms began. Then later on, after doing Arkham for about a 4th time (it's definitely my favourite!), Jordan & I saw Dominic, a worker for Lynton, and he said the smoke machines were working really well now and that it was like a cloud there now. I didn't have enough time to do Zombie again, as I saw the burlesque show (which was awesome ;) ) and then did Arkham again, Psycho (as I hadn't done it without a camera in front of me yet) & rode Scooby. The circus show was cancelled due to the high winds, so that's one I'll have to see the coming Saturday. All in all, it was an excellent night. I think the nights from now on will be better, assuming the wind dies down by then or they keep the smoke machines going at their current rate. Arkham is definitely my favourite, followed by Zombie & Saw and Psycho at the bottom.

Edited by Bmull19

Thanks for the info Bmull, what were wait times for ,both mazes, and rides like. I haven't been to a Fright Nights yet, and am curious as to how busy they are and whether you get to see everything they have on offer. I am booked in for the 15th, and am super keen, but am wondering whether you get to do a lot?

Remembering that the first night is usually the quietest, here were my wait time approximately. At the start of the night, Arkham and Psycho began to build up quicker than the others. From about 6pm to 6:30pm, it was probably a 5 to 7 minute wait for both of them. Over at Zombie (at about 6:40ish) and SAW, no one was ever over there yet making them both pretty much a walk through. After having done them both, SAW instantly became a long line, so long I just never bothered for it again. Zombie never really got a long line. At about 7:30, Psycho probably had a 20 minute wait and Arkham looked as if it had a massive line, but was only actually 10 minutes, which is definitely worth it for that maze. Toward the Burlesque show beginning, the lines of all mazes died down, so definitely do them around this time. At 9:40, we were talking to the attendant of the Arkham maze and she said if it stays like this, she's going to be lonely for the rest of the night (there was no one else behind us once we got to the front!). The maze lines stayed pretty short after the Burlesque show through to 11pm. As for the ride lines, depends what ride. Lethal Weapon 30+ minute wait, Scooby had a 5 minute wait and I'm not sure about the other rides, but Batwing's looked about 15 to 20 minutes.