2012 International Additions

themeparkgc

While we are all waiting for the official announcement from Movie World about their 2011 addition (expected to open just 4 months), I thought I'd put together a bit of a summary of what some international parks are getting in 2012 (all are expected to open between 7 and 9 months from now). As more announcements come over the next few weeks I'll update this thread with the info. For now though, I'd like to see what everyone else things of the announcements thus far... Leviathan What type of roller coaster does a theme park get if they've already got a B&M Hyper standing at 70m tall? A taller and faster one of course! Leviathan was announced yesterday to be the 23m taller cousin to Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland. It will be B&Ms tallest roller coaster and first giga coaster (i.e. over 300ft / ~91.5m). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx0BZKwTZMc Mammoth Nate mentioned it in 2 weeks ago but I'd thought I'd include it here anyway. Going with the theme that bigger is better, Holiday World announced a second ProSlide Hyrdomagnetic Rocket which will be the longest in the world (taking the title from their 4 seater rocket Wildebeest). Not only will it be longer but it will include new CloverWheel rafts (kind of like the CloverLeaf rafts) which seat 6. The Swarm Set to be the world's second B&M Wing Rider, The Swarm will open at Thorpe Park in March 2012. Wing Riders basically have all the seating in a floorless style on either side of the track. It was originally codenamed LC12. Some images of the layout were posted at the start of this year by Gazza As he stated in that post the ride will do a inline twist before entering into a large half loop. Looks like it will definitely be an interesting one with some great themeing. Skyrush Intamin's latest offering at Hersheypark will open by May. In a first for Intamin, the company has opted for 4 across seating with 2 seats above the track and a single floorless seat on either side of the track. The park's had an elaborate viral marketing campaign running since October last year regarding this attraction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbnqifrqE Just finally I thought I would mention that it looks like Six Flags might be restarting their ride rotation program which has been defunct since the early 90s. They have already announced the closure of B&M stand-up Iron Wolf at Six Flags Great America with rumours suggesting it could be relocated to Six Flags America. It also looks like Deja Vu at Six Flags Magic Mountain might be relocated to Six Flags New England.

Awesome idea for a thread! Was just coming by to post about Leviathan, and saw this thread. Leviathan looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G . It makes a trip to Canada seem even more crucial to my life. You can follow constuction at http://www.leviathan.canadaswonderland.com/ I love that the overseas parks tend to announce coasters and release a lot of info even before it begins construction!! Makes me wish our parks did the same...

Leviathan looks cool but I seriously question the park's decision to go with a coaster they already have, only taller. You've suddenly taken the park's premier coaster (Behemoth) and turned it into the "kiddie" version of Leviathan... so strange. Even though I'd say Behemoth has the better elements of the two, a whole lot more interesting than overbank, camelback, overbank, camelback etc.

Woops. I forgot about the Disney parks for the moment after all the announcements in the last 2 weeks. Just to expand on what keadz said I've dug up some information on them. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they move along the track. It will be an indoor/outdoor ride designed for families. This is part of the Fantasyland expansion at the Magic Kingdom park in Walt Disney World. The rest of the expansion will include the duplication of the Dumbo elephant ride, addition of a Little Mermaid dark ride as well as the retheming of a few others. fla019301SMALL.jpg Cars Land Part of the Disney California Adventure Park $1.1 billion makeover, Cars Land is set to add one of (if not the) most expensive amusement rides ever built. Costing $200 million, Radiator Springs Racers will be similar to Test Track at Epcot. Another two rides and a series of other smaller attractions and shops will complete the new 12 acre themed area. Radiator-Springs-Cars-Land-Disney-California-Adventure_55600848.jpg Hong Kong Disneyland The original theme park that opened in 2005 wasn't enough so Disney is adding a further 3 themed areas over the next 3 years. Toy Story Playland (opened last year at Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris), Grizzly Trail (gold mining town with coaster which is essentially a cross between Big Thunder Mountain and Expedition Everest) and Mystic Point (will feature a Haunted Mansion clone).

And drum roll please.... Cedar Point with Dinosaurs Alive - okay maybe not. There's more to come as well, in particular I'm watching with interest to see what Dollywood will be adding, the rumours are 212 foot wingrider but we'll have to wait and see. Sea World San Diego will get Manta which looks a similiar sort of coaster to Cheetah Hunt, and also Busch Willimasburg will get probably get something like that too. It will be very interesting to see if Knott's get their rumoured 340 foot hyper, they deserve something decent. Also I'm wondering if Everland in Korea will have their replacement for Eagle's Fortress ready in 2012. From what I've been told, it will be something f****ed up.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the B&M Invert going in at Parc Asterix trumps everything :) http://www.potionmagix.fr/forumix/gallery/image.php?image_id=10022 http://www.potionmagix.fr/forumix/gallery/image.php?image_id=10011 http://www.potionmagix.fr/forumix/gallery/image.php?image_id=10024 http://www.potionmagix.fr/forumix/gallery/image.php?image_id=9990

2012 is going to be a huge year for the industry. http://www.latimes.c...38.photogallery SFGA gets a B&M wing rider, SFDK gets an insane Maurer Sohne (?) that Dreamworld should have ordered and SFMM gets a drop ride that dethrones Giant Drop as tallest in the world. EDIT: Looks like LA Times leaked the information a little too early and took the page down. Luckily the pics are still available: SFGA's Wingrider post-39-0-49153300-1314850409_thumb.jpg SFDK's launched Maurer Sohne (?) post-39-0-14404500-1314850275_thumb.jpg SFMM's droptower (both sides of S:EFK) post-39-0-55516800-1314850568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flea

These all look pretty Cool: X-Flight @ SFGA: So happy to see more of these B&M Wingriders getting built. Anyone notice in the pic it will have the same headfirst drop as is being done on the Swarm at Thorpe..A great "all rounder" example of a B&M. Dollywood are supposedly due to announce one soon too. I can see these being a popular new product to install just because of how 'different' it looks and the way it rolls a number of B&Ms experiences into one product. Superman @ SFDK: Looks pretty cool, except for the fact that X-Cars just shake side to side the entire ride. Hillarious to see Six Flags getting back into their old nonsensical method of theming by putting large emblems up etc, rather than relying on a story like our Superman Escape. Lex Luthor Drop of Doom @ SFMM: Umad Dreamworld? I've noticed people are already 'dancing on the grave' of GD by posting this on DWs FB. Still, I think they should have made the cars wider (like this http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/103/sky- ) to get around the capacity issue. I'm liking the Lex Luthor theme too.drop.html?category_id=8

EDIT: Official information has now been released:

• [*]
Press Release [*]Official Webpage with a heap of information on everything post-2117-0-72666700-1314872861_thumb.jp

SFDK gets an insane Maurer Sohne (?) that Dreamworld should have ordered

I think a combination of the two would have been ideal for Dreamworld. A chain lift up into the heartline roll but on the decent it would go into the non-inverting loop like Superman: Ultimate Flight will. I don't think a third launch coaster at Dreamworld would be good.

I've noticed people are already 'dancing on the grave' of GD by posting this on DWs FB.

Others are fighting back - I just saw this on Facebook. Edited by themeparkgc

*sigh* the only record Australia holds...a unique one as well. Gone. Ahh well it was bound to happen though. I'm actually surprised it took this long...almost 13 years. Quite a long time considering how quickly coaster records are trumped. Top Thrill and Kingda Ka are a perfect example. That launched Maurer Sohne just goes to show how cool an x-car coaster can be. Dreamworld.....whyyyyy?!! why the skywheel model :/

I don't think the record thing really matters. I mean giant drop isn't getting any shorter, and it's still an awesome ride, and in the end that's all that matters. I also feel the need to point out that it'll have the same capacity as Giant Drop, which is barely enough for Dreamworld as it is, I shudder to think what the lines will be like at SFMM, so chin up Aussie theme park fans, Giant Drop still holds it's own. Having said that Buzzsaw does look a bit sad now doesn't it?

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed the different manufacturer, I bet as we speak they're having a good chuckle at the Maurer Sohne offices about how similar those rides are :) Now I'm looking properly, I must admit I much prefer the look of the Premier version of that ride, it does away with the ugly scaffold supports (which IMHO don't look that bad at DW) as well as the dodgey looking version of Intamin track that Maurer Sohne uses for the top of the Skyloops. Again though, not trying to diminish what's at Dreamworld, but just making observations, besides the upside down lift hill which is missing from the Preimer version should be neat-o.

i imagine it's not that easy, and tbh wouldn't be worth the money to do so. it would only serve to further reduce the ride's capacity by taking longer to cycle. let them bring something else in and shoe horn it into ocean parade... or perhaps - we'll see them focus now on developing rocky hollow \ gold rush themed areas - i can see it now... 'ye olde adrenaline alleye'

I was just checking out the B-Roll video for the new Premier superman coaster. Something that kinda startled me was that there are trim brakes on the top portion of the ride o_O. Two of them actually... One just before the heart line roll, and then another before the twisting vertical drop. I'm guessing it's done to tease the riders before heading into the roll and the drop (kinda like the slow creeping motion that Sheikra does before the vertical drop). I don't think it suits this coaster really. IMO the ride would be more thrilling without them; probably a lot more airtime down the drop. b-roll clip: