Fave Major GC Theme Park  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Fave Major GC Theme Park?

• Dreamworld
    • Movie World
    • Sea World
    • Wet N Wild
    • White Water World

That's interesting that you mention continuous loop... I note that many of the dark rides overseas at Disney and at Universal featured scenes with continuous loops. That might be more to do with the fact that they have such high throughput due to number of visitors and so for capacity reasons the boats/vehicles are all very close together

Many of the animatronics at Disney parks (dancing ghosts in the haunted mansion for example) never stop. They run 24 hours a day. At night time during maintenance periods, they simply turn the sound off so the workers don't go absolutely bonkers. The reason (as I understand it) is because it is too complex to shut down, and then start up the attractions every morning.

Many of the animatronics at Disney parks (dancing ghosts in the haunted mansion for example) never stop. They run 24 hours a day. At night time during maintenance periods, they simply turn the sound off so the workers don't go absolutely bonkers. The reason (as I understand it) is because it is too complex to shut down, and then start up the attractions every morning.

Could you imagine their electricity bill? They'd need to buy a crapload of solar panels from Julia if those Disney 2012 rumours are true.

and filling the park with something it was said it would never be about (coasters) I can't bring myself to vote for them anymore.

But, does anyone actually care what some executive said 20 years ago when the park opened? The place opened in 1992, and then 3 years later they built.....a coaster, so whoever made the original statement obviously didn't leave much of a legacy, and had little impact. Who knows his motivations? Was he trying to be 'noble' by being different to the "other" theme parks? Or was he a Stephen Gregg type character who didn't see the value in coasters, and thought people liked other attraction types better? Couple of other points. -What about the other Movie Worlds, in Germany, and later, Spain? They both have had many more coasters over their life. -What about other movie studio type parks, such as the Universal and Disney ones? Both of these retain "Movie magic" type attractions, along with modern thrill rides, but the thing is, when I've been to these places its the full blown rides that are the overwhelmingly popular ones. Certainly, stuff like TOT and RNRC craps all over that studio tour/disaster canyon thing etc

^ LOL. I think Movie World, without the coasters, would have gone bankrupt. Think about it, people see the shows and tours once, but they will keep going back to ride rollercoasters every weekend. I actually love that Movie World puts in high quality coasters/rides instead of lots of crappy rides like Dreamworld, thats what makes it a cut above the rest.

-What about other movie studio type parks, such as the Universal and Disney ones? Both of these retain "Movie magic" type attractions, along with modern thrill rides, but the thing is, when I've been to these places its the full blown rides that are the overwhelmingly popular ones. Certainly, stuff like TOT and RNRC craps all over that studio tour/disaster canyon thing etc

Apart from at Universal Studios Hollywood the studio tour is one of the most popular rides and is the main reason for people visiting the park, as many international tourists know the park mostly for the tour. Unlike Disney's pathetic excuse for a studio tour at WDW Hollywood studios.

Apart from at Universal Studios Hollywood the studio tour is one of the most popular rides and is the main reason for people visiting the park, as many international tourists know the park mostly for the tour. Unlike Disney's pathetic excuse for a studio tour at WDW Hollywood studios.

Yeah the Hollywood Studios tour was the WORST ATTRACTION EVER. There used to be slightly more to it as the truck would go down a 'residential street' lot and pass the house used as the external shots for the Golden Girls house. They demolished it to build the oh-so-crappy Lights, Motors, Action stunt show. Big mistake to demolish the Golden Girls!!

I think USH is a special case, since it has a large and busy studio (Perhaps why the WB studios find it worthwhile to run tours too) attached to it, and the reason for the park existing in the first place. But what about Orlando, Japan and Singapore?

I think USH is a special case, since it has a large and busy studio (Perhaps why the WB studios find it worthwhile to run tours too) attached to it, and the reason for the park existing in the first place. But what about Orlando, Japan and Singapore?

Japan and Singapore don't have a studio tour and Orlando, as far as I know did have a small studio tour (No trams though) but was closed as it wasn't on an actual film studio and wasn't getting the numbers and was wasting space. So here the situation applies.

But, does anyone actually care what some executive said 20 years ago when the park opened?

Again Gazza, just because my opinions, which is exactly what they are, are not identical to yours does not make them any less relevant. As far as any overseas parks I cannot comment as I have yet to attend any as of this moment. In relation to the comment 'Both of these retain "Movie magic" type attractions, along with modern thrill rides', if MW did this I would not see this as a problem, but they haven't. They have ripped out every last aspect of "Movie Magic", and replaced it with these rides that in some cases are loosely based on a movie. Take the BWSS for example. At the time of the opening of this ride there had been no batwing in the new movie franchise so realistically the ride has no connection to the movies it is tied to. I have said before and I'll say again... I am not mainly interested in the big rides (in saying that Green Lantern will warrant a trip to MW once), but in the theming and shows side of the parks. MW has all but destroyed this. Yes removing PASS was necessary to keep up with the times, but replacing it with a poor excuse of trying to copy Light's, Motor, Action and watching 3 cars basically drift and doughnut for approximately 10 minutes and a guy ride through fire no more that a foot high without anything happening such as a body burn stunt... Adding rollercoasters to the mix is not always a bad thing. Sure they opened LW 3 years into it, but, when it first opened it was a "The ride you are about to experience will allow you to share in some of the mental and physical forces associated with stunt driving. A task that few are expert enough to master. We hope this short film will stimulate your sense. <Watch movie> Now that you have experienced the visual stimulation the real G forces await. Stunt drivers please exit through these doors." That set the feeling that you were going to feel what the stunt people might feel during performing some of their stunts. This tied into the movie magic and not into the here is another coaster because we can afford it feel of the park. WWF was the same when it opened with the story of going through a haunted western backlot. By simply removing the one video pre loading the ride they have removed the entire story of the ride, so for those who don't know the story it is simply a flume ride with some effects going on around you. Why could they not have the video going on loop like they do in Scooby Doo or on Superman? With a lot of little changes they could bring back a lot of the "Movie Magic" for those who want that sort of experience while still making it possible for those who are simply interested in the thrills not to be forced to sit through it. Edited by Wyncenuros

Tip: If you are not an infant, and make sure you don't lay face down in shallow water whilst breathing in, you should be right. If you were going to avoid riding watersides for this reason, you'd also have to avoid using bathtubs, after all, the depth of a bath, and the depth of a runout chute are the same.

Gazza... Do you feel threatened by me? Or are you afraid of being proven wrong? The reason I ask is that every post I make you have some derogatory comment to make about it. I would think that as a Community Leader you would have a little more respect for other peoples opinions and comments in what is basically an open forum for thoughts, opinions and ideas. I am simply presenting facts. If you look at my previous posts in this and other threads you will see I present personal opinions and facts. I would not post anything that was knowingly incorrect or false. I did not say anything about a specific person drowning in it. I simply said, "people can drown in less than 10cm of water if the conditions are right, or wrong in the drowning persons case." Which is a fact. I went on to say "Perhaps he just feels safer staying away from them." which is in no way related to the first part of the post. Personally I feel safe jumping out of a plane with a parachute strapped to me. I don't feel safe bungy jumping, looking over the edge of a building or over the railing of a set of stairs 5 floors above the ground. We all have our quirks and sometimes there is no real reason for them, they are just there. Edited by Wyncenuros

The reason I ask is that every post I make you have some derogatory comment to make about it. I would think that as a Community Leader you would have a little more respect for other peoples opinions and comments in what is basically an open forum for thoughts, opinions and ideas. Again Gazza, just because my opinions, which is exactly what they are, are not identical to yours does not make them any less relevant. Not really sure what you are trying to say. Yes, I know your opinions are different, but there is a quote button on this forum (Like every other forum), which you can use to respond to what somebody else has written, so it’s not like I’m singling you out, or being unusual, by doing this. You aren’t the only person I have ever disagreed with you know. Or were your earlier posts intended to be the ‘final word’ in this discussion or something? And how is drawing comparisons with other movie parks, questioning the relevance of old executive decisions etc being ‘derogatory’ anyway? Yes, I mean obviously you care about the exec said 20 years ago, but the thing I was asking is “does anyone else care?”...So, Other members on here, Parkz visitors in general etc. I still stand by my point that if the park was “never” to be about coasters then the guy clearly had little influence, because a large coaster was pretty much the 2nd new ride to be built in the parks life. Adding rollercoasters to the mix is not always a bad thing. Sure they opened LW 3 years into it, but, when it first opened it was a "The ride you are about to experience will allow you to share in some of the mental and physical forces associated with stunt driving. A task that few are expert enough to master. We hope this short film will stimulate your sense. <Watch movie> Now that you have experienced the visual stimulation the real G forces await. Stunt drivers please exit through these doors." That set the feeling that you were going to feel what the stunt people might feel during performing some of their stunts. This tied into the movie magic and not into the here is another coaster because we can afford it feel of the park. It’s still gotta pass the entertainment value test though....What’s the point for instance of making riders all watch the Lethal Weapon clip if it makes the experience less enjoyable? WWF was the same when it opened with the story of going through a haunted western backlot. By simply removing the one video pre loading the ride they have removed the entire story of the ride, so for those who don't know the story it is simply a flume ride with some effects going on around you. Why could they not have the video going on loop like they do in Scooby Doo or on Superman? If its a ‘haunted’ movie set then why are there Mexicans? Furthermore, you made a point about rides vaguely matching the film....But there were no ghosts etc in Wild Wild West. With respect to having stuff on a loop like Scooby, well they do have TVs showing clips from classic westerns in the WWF queue, and these are about as relevant to the ride as the “behind the scenes” clip for Scooby . I did not say anything about a specific person drowning in it. I simply said, "people can drown in less than 10cm of water if the conditions are right, or wrong in the drowning persons case." Which is a fact. I went on to say "Perhaps he just feels safer staying away from them." which is in no way related to the first part of the post. Personally I feel safe jumping out of a plane with a parachute strapped to me. I don't feel safe bungy jumping, looking over the edge of a building or over the railing of a set of stairs 5 floors above the ground. We all have our quirks and sometimes there is no real reason for them, they are just there. This is a moot point because after I pointed out the slides generally don’t require swimming, he said. “Oh really? TBH I've only ever been to WnW once and just sat in a ring at calypso (assuming it's still called that)”

Edited by Gazza

I guess I should have also referred to the waiting so long for a short ride part again. But yes I go there to laze in the wave pools or calypso beach. Not one for slides either. Either way it still says that no interest in the water parks, and I don't get a day pass or yearly pass to these parks, just make use of them with the VIP passes. And on a seperate note Gazza, just because I don't go to themeparks for the same reason you do, although I may miss the point for you to go, I don't miss the point in me going.

Also, it wasn’t so much about reasons for visiting, it’s just that it’s as if you were ‘downgrading’ water parks to the level of suburban backyard pools, or municipal swim centres (Which often have wave pools and lazy rivers these days anyway) by suggesting they are more or less the same. ...It’s like, slides such as Aqualoop, which are quite sophisticated on the engineering side, and a large investment, should be putting water parks a cut above regular swimming pools (Or for the kids, those big water play structures like Pipeline Plunge should be considered a cut above an inflatable wading pool)....We want water parks to go to the effort to build stuff like this, don’t we?

Except there is a difference between speaking your mind and simply being so narrow minded you do not acknowledge the ideas or opinions of others.

Tell me how I should reword my earlier post, and what should be omitted then... Edited by Gazza

I am not refering simply to this post but almost every post I have made on these forums. I agree you have valid points that make me sit back and think "Yes I can see that now" where I may not have before. I am not simply saying you are disagreeing with me, you can't agree with everyone on everything, that's what makes us individuals, but that you constantly shut down anything I post as ridiculous and not worth spit. See first part for thoughts on derogatory not being simply for individual posts. As far as entertainment value "test" if you quoted my post a little further you will see I also said "With a lot of little changes they could bring back a lot of the "Movie Magic" for those who want that sort of experience while still making it possible for those who are simply interested in the thrills not to be forced to sit through it." I did not say force everyone to watch it because again we all have differing likes and dislikes. Why does a haunted movie backlot mean there can't be Mexicans? They were in Blazing Saddles which is in part where this comment of "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges." came from. The story was the haunted movie backlot, not the Wild Wild West movie so it did have that feel to it. As far as the water being a moot point... So why did you then move on to again attempt to shoot down my comment, especially if this was a moot point? I was in no way downgrading water parks. I said that to me, which again seems to be the whole point you miss each and everytime I post anything, they are a waste of my time. I did not say they were useless and have no reason to exist. Yes I agree that some slides are an engineering marvel along with the likes or some rides, shows and theming. But again, TO ME, there is no interest. I never expect my posts to be the "final word" as you put it. I simply hope they make people think and realise that there are people out that with differing ideas and opinions.

Tell me how I should reword my earlier post, and what should be omitted then...

Still missing it... It is not that one post. It's every comment you make about everything I post. If you can't acknowledge other peoples opinions then maybe your position as a "Community Leader" should be rethought. To be a leader, one must have followers. To have followers, one must have their trust. Sorry but shooting other down is hardly a wait to gain trust. Edited by Wyncenuros

POP & skeetafly, My original post was an elaboration on my response to the topic of this thread. From that Gazza proceeded to degrade me and my opinions for what only seems his own satisfaction. i for one value the opinions of others and have not and will not sit down when others attack mine. If you want to take this up with anyone might I suggest Gazza as this was fine until his comments. Wyn.

Edited by Wyncenuros

I am not simply saying you are disagreeing with me, you can't agree with everyone on everything, that's what makes us individuals, but that you constantly shut down anything I post as ridiculous and not worth spit.

Bro, it says you've made 98 posts on here, and I've "shot down" / disagreed with just 4 of them. -Saying that frozen coke at MW is not outsourced. -The one about GL being built out in the front corner of the car park, which was silly. -The one saying a water park is not comparable to your backyard pool -The one saying the opinion of an early exec re coasters in the park is probably not relevant anymore/ at other movie parks rides/coasters are more popular too. Dunno, maybe it seems worse because two happened close together in the same thread. Either way, its not every time is it? Edited by Gazza