Fave Major GC Theme Park  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Fave Major GC Theme Park?

• Dreamworld
    • Movie World
    • Sea World
    • Wet N Wild
    • White Water World

Vote :D Im QUITE interested to see the results!!! I went with Movie World. Been there the most and its the most world class theme park in Australia by far. Ranks with the best (only issue with it is that it needs a few more major rides so it can become a full day outing instead of a few hours). My ranking: 1. Movie World 2. Wet N Wild 3. Dreamworld 4. Sea World (used to be higher until they got rid of Bermuda Triangle, Flume & Pirate ship) 5. White Water World

i would have to say dreamworld only cause its more of a fuller day then movie world even know movie world rides are world class often it can be done in under 2 hours have done it in around 1 hour with 2 rides on most but hopefully in the next few years movieworld can add some great replacements for looney tunes river and batman 2 my order is 1. Dreamworld 2. Movie World 3. wet n wild 4. seaworld and white water world as both are very poor and run down

Really hard to split DW and MW In the end I went with DW only due to number of rides/attractions that make it a complete full day experience. If MW added 2-3 top line attractions as replacements for LTRR and BA2 then I think it would well surpass DW but there current strategy of ride replacement rather than additions unfortunately makes it less attractive. If I had $70 to my name and could only attend one park - I'd choose DW as I would get more for my money. Thankfully I have a VIP and World Pass so get the benefits of both.

Movie World, because its the only one with good coasters and good theming.

even know movie world rides are world class often it can be done in under 2 hours have done it in around 1 hour with 2 rides on most

But Disneys Animal Kingdom can be done in as little as a couple of hours too, but that place is better than most full day parks.

I went with Movieworld as I haven't been to Dreamworld in quite a few years (motocoaster wasn't open last time I went), but I am planning on paying DW a visit in the next month or so and am looking forward to seeing how it is faring these days. Movieworld gets the nod from me for the quality of Scooby, Superman & Wild West Falls, but I really hope they bring a decent family attraction back into the mix soon.

Umm, you do know the Vikings Revenge Flume Ride is still in operation at Sea World don't you?

Oh I thought I read here that it was closed. Well that's good news, although that ride REALLY needs a revamp. Fun little fact about that ride: I went to Seaworld when I was 12 and my dad took me on this ride and our flume was accidentally released immediately after another flume and another flume was immediately released after our one. So we were sandwiched between two flumes and my dad started freaking out because he thought that something bad was going to happen going down the hill and he jumped out of the flume on the way up (where the stairs are) and he pulled me out too. We went back to the line and got told we had gotten the ride shut down and that there was a mechanism at the top of the hill to stop flumes. You cant really blame my dad though, it wouldnt have been the first accident on a flume ride.

To be honest. I can't vote for any of them. A few years back I would have chosen MovieWorld hands down, but with the current trend of closing well loved family rides, keeping storefronts closed for half the day, lack of use of the extremely well themed areas (china town and western area), and filling the park with something it was said it would never be about (coasters) I can't bring myself to vote for them anymore. I had a yearly pass every year for 12 years and then a vip pass for the last 3, but when my last pass expired I never considered renewing it as the life and spirit of the park that was "Hollywood on the Gold Coast" and a place where "movies come alive" has gone. I am not one for rides that you wait more than 30 minutes for what is a less than 1 minute on ride experience so this removes Dreamworld from any chances. No point paying to use a pool when I have one at home so Whitewater World and Wet 'n' Wild are out. Finally after killing of the origins of the park by removing the Ski Show and any elements of it in any shows since and the single best ride they had in Bermuda Triangle, and updating an older ride which had nothing wrong with it, Seaworld does not get the vote either. I recently had relatives from Europe on holidays and they were looking forward to returning to the parks after their last holiday 6 years ago. They were extremely disappointed after visiting all the parks mentioned. Sure the VIP passes are aimed at locals as that is where the market is for the parks, but think if you had one day to visit a park after 6 years of waiting only to be welcomed with what many have come to see as standard for our parks. A very poor effort.

Edited by Wyncenuros

No point paying to use a pool when I have one at home so Whitewater World and Wet 'n' Wild are out.

You have waterslides at home? To be honest, if you are going to a water park just to swim, you're pretty much missing the point of what water parks are about: Edited by Gazza

I guess I should have also referred to the waiting so long for a short ride part again. But yes I go there to laze in the wave pools or calypso beach. Not one for slides either. Either way it still says that no interest in the water parks, and I don't get a day pass or yearly pass to these parks, just make use of them with the VIP passes. And on a seperate note Gazza, just because I don't go to themeparks for the same reason you do, although I may miss the point for you to go, I don't miss the point in me going.

Edited by Wyncenuros

Gazza, people can drown in less than 10cm of water if the conditions are right, or wrong in the drowning persons case. Perhaps he just feels safer staying away from them.

Tip: If you are not an infant, and make sure you don't lay face down in shallow water whilst breathing in, you should be right. If you were going to avoid riding watersides for this reason, you'd also have to avoid using bathtubs, after all, the depth of a bath, and the depth of a runout chute are the same. Edited by Gazza

Had the question been what is the BEST theme park on the Gold Coast, I probably would have voted Dreamworld, based mainly on its size, ride variety, and value for money... the last time we visited DW (about 3-4 years ago) we spent the entire day there and STILL didn't manage to fit everything in. I think its also the best park for overseas tourists, given it has a great range of Australian wildlife on offer. Dreamworld basically is everything (rides, attractions, animals, water park) wrapped up in one ideal package. However, whilst I think Dreamworld is the best park, Movieworld is my favourite park :) I've been following the park since it first opened (I lived like 10 mins walk away at the time) and had a yearpass there as a teen. A lot of fond memories stuffing around MV every single day of the school holidays... going on Lethal Weapon 5 times in a row. Memorising the words of the Warner Bros Classics outtakes (Gremlins ride) word for word. My bestie and I having a boat to ourselves and ducking all the sensors on the Looney Tunes River Ride, so that nothing actually happens and you spend the entire time just cruising around in the dark lol. Even after going there recently after a massive period of time (way TOO long!!) I was just so excited about revisiting it. I think its because I'm a big movie buff too, I just love the atmosphere and themeing of the place. It may not be in its best state now, and missing most of the rides I grew up enjoying (or still in the process of closing/removing them :() but its still my favourite park overall. I love Movieworld :D

I have such fond childhood memories of Movie World. I still love going back there and just walking around all the original themeing even though most of the original attractions are gone. On a different note. Does anyone remember there being a jack Nicholson joker character walking around back in the day? (or part of the parade?) I could swear I saw it but I can't quite remember.

My bestie and I having a boat to ourselves and ducking all the sensors on the Looney Tunes River Ride, so that nothing actually happens and you spend the entire time just cruising around in the dark lol.

Call me crazy but I call Bullshit! The sensors for the LTRR animatronics are not far above water level. It is the boat the triggers the animatronics, not the passengers.

Call me crazy but I call Bullshit! The sensors for the LTRR animatronics are not far above water level. It is the boat the triggers the animatronics, not the passengers.

Haha, ok I'll be honest, I admit I personally didn't do it ;p I always wanted to... just for fun of course lol. But my bestie claimed he did it numerous times, so maybe it was possible in the early days? Edited by OceanGirl

Actually I think the sensors in Lassiter's/Bermuda & Looney Tunes were just above boat level. I used to assume they were triggered by people rather than the boats themselves too... presumably so that the scenes would not activate if the boats were empty. I remember as a kid I always wanted to duck the sensor to try out this theory - but there'd always be someone else in the boat. I remember once on Lassiter's Lost Mine (when I was really young) riding in the back row of the boat holding an umbrella. As the boat passed the sensor and the scene activated I would lean back and swipe the umbrella through the sensor again. I don't know what I was trying to achieve! I think I thought the scene might reset or get confused or something. Kind of naughty really! Aaah, I loved that ride