Bermuda/LTRR/Batman - replacements?

GoGoBoy

So we all know Village recently closed their 2 major dark rides Looney Tunes River Ride and Bermuda Triangle. These rides were state of the art (especially for their time) and great family offerings. An announcement has also just been made that Batman Adventure 2 will close in October. No doubt the closure of these rides leaves a big gap in this market. The claim is that these rides will make way for "exciting new attractions" but we are yet to see any work taking place. Many people have commented that Movie World should be expanding rather than replacing rides, but at least we can be grateful that we are getting new attractions (hopefully!). My question to all of you is - what would you either LIKE to see these rides replaced with and/or what do you THINK they will be replaced with? Put your best guess forward but try to be realistic, keeping budgets and space requirements in mind. Would you use the existing buildings or start from scratch? What do you think can be achieved? Will be interested to see the creative stuff everyone can come up with...

LIKE: Tatsu clone. :P THINK: Probably not a Tatsu clone. I would like them to replace LTRR with something similar, still LT based as I love LT. Hopefully they just update the ride a bit or at least keep the theme. LT has a new show which started this year so the franchise isn't dead yet. I hope they keep it with a water theme, but I guess same as Bermuda there was something they didn't like with their water rides so they had to go. As for BMTR2 I would like that to stay as a motion simulator but have the pods updated with new hardware and since it will fit into the area, I'd be expecting a July school holiday 2012 opening which would make it a couple of weeks before the new Batman movie came out (Jul 19 according to IMDB) Not sure about Bermuda but I can't imagine any work starting on this for a while. Seaworld seems to be the forgotten park

Edited by reanimated35

I agree that they should definately keep it LT themed in the area. I would LIKE to see something like the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin themed on an Elmer Fudd hunt or the ever loved Rabbit / Duck season cartoon. Sure this is a little old for the younger kids but shooting stuff that reacts will overcome this hurdle. The wife and I were talking and with the Justice League Movie in the works, why would they not rip out the batcave and make the JLHQ and we have to help them save the world from some catastrophe by getting into special pods? This would completely revamp the BMTR2 area both inside and out, give a new attraction using the current setup with some modifications? Especially since we have a Batman, Superman and now Green Lantern ride and the new DC Universe store all in that area? Either way my money is on another superhero theme. As far as Bermuda Triangle, with the recent additions of rides focussing on animal and marine rescue I would dare say that this would be another ride they may carry this theme into especially being so near the JetSki Rescue.

Edited by Wyncenuros

I want LT to remain LT, how about maybe going with some high-tech rapids like we've seen around the world... theres a Popeye one themed at Universal... why couldn't MW do one with LT? ^ Or something like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, however that park gets so hot in Summer and WWF gets so busy with people trying to cool off I would love to see a second water ride. For BMTR2, I would like to also stay Batman themed as the only Batman themed ride at the moment is Batwing, which is a nice but no story that BMTR2 or SE has/had. Hopefully Green Lantern will also have a story/theming of some type. Anyway, keep the Batman theme, maybe update for current franchise, keep a simulator, its really something you can't experience here, add some 3D maybe and update the pods so they can do a lot more to make it a much more enjoyable experience! A compelling story, that really takes on an adventure and a fun ride, that seemed to be the biggest complaint with guests, they found it boring, which is a shame. For BT, BT please? No, I just thinking back about it before. That had such a great story that really got you involved and for first time riders to found out the girl was an alien and UFO's disappearing and then going through fire. A story about the famed Bermuda Triangle the Coast Guard, that whole areas theme, just awesome. I could see something to do with Atlantis, it seems to be big with the overseas SW's and then theres whole thing of how SW loves to promote conservation and education with a ride, show or attraction. Imagine, Planet SOS, Jet Rescue and Polar Bear Shores all examples.

I would LIKE to see something like the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin themed on an Elmer Fudd hunt or the ever loved Rabbit / Duck season cartoon. Sure this is a little old for the younger kids but shooting stuff that reacts will overcome this hurdle.

I like the concept, but think it would be much better suited in the super hero area. The Zurg \ Alien guys are easily attacked by kids in the Disney parks, but ALL of the LT characters are lovable, and I can't really see kids loving the concept of shooting Marvin or Elmer. On the other hand - theres plenty of evil villains in the comics universe that everyone would love to shoot. Maybe put that concept into the old BATR2 showbuilding?

I got a message from my best friend the other day about the Bermuda Triangle.... I think I'll just quote it word for word and see what you guys think!!

"Apparently Seaworld has big plans next year to replace the Bermuda, one of my friends who works there says its a big secret apparently."

Exciting, no? Looking forward to 2012 and seeing what happens, hopefully its true :D In regards to the other rides, I'd like to see LTRR turned into a Neverending Story rapid ride, similar to the german version but with better, more advanced animatronics. And I'd love to see Batman stay as a motion simulator, whether its an updated version of a Batman adventure, or a completely different theme altogether!!

I would love to see the pre-show area for BMTR2 re-worked to fit the queue inside, as well as some of the queue for Batwing. I know I find it more terrifying before riding a ride when I can't see it cycling right in front of me. The simulator equipment could probably do with an update, maybe get some newer footage - perhaps we could be passengers on the bike used in The Dark Knight? Loony Tunes River Ride - I'd love to see it remain as some form of water ride - maybe throw in targets to shoot at with water cannons in the boat. Not too sure about what story to use though. Bermuda Triangle - go again with a water ride - theme each boat as an Ice Breaker ship, and make everything look like Antarctica, and make it a Happy Feet themed ride.

I couldn't really see Happy Feet being something that would last though. They would have to replace it in a couple of years once the hype wore off (hasn't it already though?). IMO they should stick with a generic water theme like BT was.

yeah well happy feet 2 comes out this year and would be a great replacement for seaworld if they kept the same dark water ride and upgraded the ride and added happy feet

I agree with most of you and personally really hope they keep these rides as dark rides, preferably boat/water rides. To me there's nothing quite like the feeling and atmosphere on a dark boat ride. My concern is that Village might not be interested in maintaining animatronics and effects any longer? I certainly hope that's not the case as these type of rides add a lot to the Village parks and are a point of difference. As an alternative, perhaps they could create partial dark rides. For Sea World, something similar to Atlantis (as others have mentioned) at SeaWorld Orlando could work well. It's a great combination of some effective dark ride sections, flume drops and a coaster chucked in too. This is a major part of the park so they really need to do something special with it. Just hope they don't replace it with another animal exhibit. For Movie World, if they don't keep it as a dark ride, I would agree that a themed rapids ride could work well. Popeye's at IOA was just pure fun. Great theming, long ride time and some brilliant water sprays and effects. Everybody is in hysterics at the end of that ride as you just get so soaked. You could also incorporate some dark ride sections too, similar to the Neverending Story rapids

Edited by GoGoBoy

LT could be turned into a duck dodges shooting ride. keep the boats but have guns on them like Buzz or MIB. Then you go along and help him fight evil and along the way can be some comedy elements where he daffy stuffs up like always. They could even have a pre-show of some type, to tell us whats happening and daffy seeing it happen and saying its a job for Duck Dodges, so on and so forth.

The wife and I were talking and with the Justice League Movie in the works, why would they not rip out the batcave and make the JLHQ and we have to help them save the world from some catastrophe by getting into special pods?

I like the concept, but think it would be much better suited in the super hero area. The Zurg \ Alien guys are easily attacked by kids in the Disney parks, but ALL of the LT characters are lovable, and I can't really see kids loving the concept of shooting Marvin or Elmer. On the other hand - theres plenty of evil villains in the comics universe that everyone would love to shoot. Maybe put that concept into the old BATR2 showbuilding?

I think the above combination would be a good replacement for Batman Adventure. Bermuda Triangle: I'd like to see something like that I came up with last year. Looney Tunes River Ride: I'd like to just see the whole ride refurbished from the ground up. Maybe some new scenes would be good also. I feel a Looney Tunes shooter ride would be a bad move. In saying all of this though, I am thinking that Village Roadshow are starting to move away from dark rides after letting these three rides slowly deteriorate. The sort of "partial dark rides" that GoGoBoy has mentioned are probably more realistic as the style of replacements we will see.

I'm (like Spencer) a MASSIVE Batman fan. I really hope they revamp the simulator to give it a Chris Nolan workover. If they turn it into the lame kiddy batman animation deal I'm not going to be happy - that would be even worse than what they had for BA2 (and that's really saying something...). It *could* be something in line with the new justice league movie like Wyncerous was saying, but it's going to be opening in two months, and the movie isn't out, so that moots that idea. To be honest, I'm going to be super disappointed if they get rid of the dark rides/dark ride hybrid. I agree with what others are saying, that the atmosphere of a dark ride can not be matched. Atlantis or neverending story would be freaking amazeballs, I just can't see it happening. Imagine if they replaced LTRR with Alice in Wonderland, not going to happen - still, it'd be rad to go hunting for the chesire cat down the river.

It's probably not a good sign that they closed both of the dark rides around the same time as each other. It could very well be that that's the end of them - especially since no construction has started on either. I do hope they keep them and revamp them though, since water rides are my fave :D

Perhaps my ultimate 'foamer' replacement for Bermuda is a Robocoaster G2 system (Eg, what Harry Potter uses), themed to "Davy Jones' Locker". The story could be that you're prisoners onboard a pirate ship sailing through a foggy, stormy night. Evidently you've done something quite bad, so you are sent down into the ships hold (Which would be decked out with stacks of crates, barrels, complex rope pulleys overhead etc) As an ulimate punishment, you are restrained to a wooden bench that is lead weighted. A pulley system is activated, helplessly sending you out a hatch and plunging you into the depths. the ride would kick off with the bench passing through a cloud of mist and immediately turning to face a massive screen, with footage of sinking into the ocean. Everything would soon become ghostly and fade away (Including the footage on the screen) and your bench would twist and turn into blackness, and you'd hear the screams and howls of souls that have been lost at sea as you pass into the world of the dead. This section would deliberatley quite stressful and disorientating. Without a break,, the ride basically becomes an exercise in scaring the crap out of riders, and the movements would be much more severe than Potter (Eg it would be more like a traditional Robocoaster, with full inversions etc). You'd twist and turn through very dark undersea caverns filled with skulls, pass through giant whale carcasses, face off sailor ghosts on fog screens, pass through shipwrecks (And nearly become impaled on broken masts) etc etc. Everything would take on a greyish tone (So the lighting would not be coloured) Another scene would be passing through blackness, only to see a small light. The light brightens, revealing a skeletal giant anglerfish which violently snaps at you. The climax comes when you pass into a sort of undersea embodiment of a pirate village , inhabited by rowdy ghosts. You'd pass the jail, where the ghosts inside beg you to try and defeat Davy Jones . I haven't quite got as far as resolving what goes on, but by some happy accident, Davy Jones is defeated (Its a tough one, because with riders being passively strapped in, they cant do much to push the story along) With Davy Jones defeated you pass another screen (Roof mounted, so you would be on your back for this sequence) where you drift back to the surface, with a number of ghosts rising up with you, and you eventually 'bump' into something and turn upright, which reveals that you have washed up against some rocks in a grotto, allowing you to exit the ride.

Edited by Gazza

I was clearly bored and just looking at stuff and found this http://www.newsparcs.com/en/article/00005476-eas_2011__interview_with_john_wood_chairman__ceo_of_sally_corporation it talks with the CEO of Sally Corp and something interesting is the mention of something BIG slated for Christmas 2012, now this could be for any park in the world I'm not always on top of what some international parks are doing, however Christmas is winter for the majority of the big and I don't see too many opening rides in winter around the Christmas period. It says a major location at a major park which makes me think not us, but when it says intellectual property it made me think straight away of a Batman or LT replacement (especially if they kept the themes or DC theme and changed the ride). I'm probably way off, but it just got my imagination going, I want these attractions to stay dark rides, they make dark rides and Christmas 2012 sounds about right. When it comes to dark rides (I've never experienced one of their products) but I have heard they are one of the best when it comes to these attractions.

• 4 weeks later...

Other than the generic maintenance statements, no, nothing...

Bermuda Triangle has been permanently closed to make way for an exciting new attraction. The LOONEY TUNES River Ride is permanently closed to make way for an exciting new attraction. BATMAN Adventure - The Ride 2 will be closing permanently from Monday the 15th of October 2011 to make way for an exciting new attraction.

It is a bit of a shame that it has been more than a year since Bermuda closed (18 October 2010) and we still haven't heard any more details then what we knew then.