The Parkz Update: Movie World, October 4 2011

Richard

That drop on WWF, is it just me or does it no longer seem as steep? Also, why the scream-shield? Are they planning on running the park later? Just found a picture of mine from a year or so ago, and I must say I've never noticed the shield before but it was always there. 197402_1019886395378_1771738659_37961_1479582_n.jpg

Edited by reanimated35

That drop on WWF, is it just me or does it no longer seem as steep? Also, why the scream-shield? Are they planning on running the park later? Just found a picture of mine from a year or so ago, and I must say I've never noticed the shield before but it was always there.

^ No it's definitely not just you... I thought exactly the same things. I really hope they didn't make the drop less steep otherwise it's becoming like death by a thousand cuts to this ride

That drop on WWF, is it just me or does it no longer seem as steep? Also, why the scream-shield? Are they planning on running the park later? Just found a picture of mine from a year or so ago, and I must say I've never noticed the shield before but it was always there.

Definitely looks less steep - no matter which way you look at it IMO Anyone been on it since the refurb who can confirm? MASSIVE FAIL if it has been changed

Anyone been on it since the refurb who can confirm?

Me ;) I had the chance to ride it the week after it came out of its refurb. And no...i'm pretty sure the angle/slope of the drop hasn't changed one bit; it's just the camera angle that the photo has been taken at. Incidentally, I also took some photos of the ride when I was there. So here is my picture, which you can compare to the Parkz update and reanimated's pic: tumblr_lsofpr4KpJ1qekpf3o1_500.jpg As you can see it really just depends on where your standing around the ride. yeah maybe the drop was tweaked a little during the rehab. But they would have been small changes; nothing blatantly obvious like the slope. In fact I just noticed it now, if you look carefully at reanimated's pic, under the drop, you'll see some wooden trusses. Look at mine, the wood is gone. Also, the doors on the final drop have been replaced with a brand new set of doors, which have a grey colour. As for how it now rides, my brother and I found that the drop was actually a lot smoother and a little faster (probably because everything is new again). Angle felt the same as before. But holly crap....Wild West Falls now looks amazing! Maybe because I haven't been to mw in 3 years, but the area around the ride and queue seems to have been given a fresh coat of paint. The area looks so nice...truly a world class themed area and ride. Effects have been fixed as well, which really shows that WVTP's still want to keep their rides up to standard. Before the first lift hill, the sign swings a little and the crane/digger does a cool jolty lift as your boat passes (haven't seen that before). Before the backwards drop the peppers ghost is back and they actually speak. The lever pulls down and your sent backwards. Their is an air cannon affect it the drop I'm pretty sure. You can feel a lot of air rush by you. The dynamite affect on the bridge actually smokes now (yes smoke!), just before the blowing up sound effect. The smoke is also working on the fire near the tepees. Moving on, the swinging tavern doors, air through curtain, collapsing railing, water trough and water barrel holes effects were all working in the western town. On the lift hill there is one peppers ghost working that screams..."get out, get out she's gonna blow". Apart from that the drop is still short of the sparkers, and the top of the hill is under par. I'm still confused why there is a mirror there :S Can anyone tell me what themeing used to be on the lift hill and around the turntable at the top? Edited by Luke

I'm still confused why there is a mirror there :S Can anyone tell me what themeing used to be on the lift hill and around the turntable at the top?

It used to be themed like a powder storage room and had a rather neat looking large barrel they would flex outwards as if under great pressure from the inside. There also used to be smoke and an air cannon that blew out to from above you to make it look and feel like it had exploded behind you. Also quite a decent amount of sparks.

So they've fixed and updated some theming and made other parts worse?

Well the top room (turntable before drop) has been under par, themeing wise, since the fire (in 2003/02?). The fire ruined all the effects and movieworld didn't end up replacing the original effects; which is a real shame now reading Wyncenuros' post. Also since then, the sparkers in the lift hill stopped working as well...which i remember being a really cool effect. BUT, I remember going a couple years back when there was no ghosts, and no audio...now they are back, so props to movieworld for fixing those :) They have pretty much fixed everything now. Maybe the only negative change is the removal of those wooden trusses. IMO the ride looks and rides better than before. defs check it out if you get the chance :) Edited by Luke

I'm glad to hear they have reinstated some of the effects on the ride including the bridge smoke and peppers ghost cowboys. Disappointing though that they did not do anything to try and fix up the top turntable room. As I have often said, the previous effect with the giant expanding TnT barrel, sound effects, wind and smoke all worked so well. It simulated an explosion as the boat turned away from the barrel which had the effect of 'pushing' you down the final drop. At the very least I would have liked them to remove that weird mirror. And would it be really that expensive to reinstate an explosion sound effect and maybe a few fans and smoke? I also agree that it might be a nice idea to have the original pre-show on loop so that people can watch it if they want to as they walk past. It helped set up the story of the ride and the 'ghost cowboys' etc.

At the very least I would have liked them to remove that weird mirror.

Agreed. I mean I think the mirror is there because they wanted to do that whole "infinite mineshaft" deal. But I reckon an 'over the top' stack of TNT crates, with dynamite sticks wedged in the gaps created would be the best. I could have sworn I've still heard the explosion sound on some of my rides though.

Agreed. I mean I think the mirror is there because they wanted to do that whole "infinite mineshaft" deal. But I reckon an 'over the top' stack of TNT crates, with dynamite sticks wedged in the gaps created would be the best. I could have sworn I've still heard the explosion sound on some of my rides though.

That's exactly what I was thinking Gazza. Just some very basic theming like that to replace the mirror would be fine. And it would not be expensive. That whole room just looks crappy now... it was obviously a quick fix after the fire. Hmm maybe they still play the explosion sound effect - it's been ages since I've been on it. I just remember it being underwhelming compared to how it was before. Overall still a great ride - but could be even better with some small finishing touches to restore it! Edited by GoGoBoy

The facelift looks great and it's very odd to see some people here bagging it. But I guess you can't please everyone lol. PS Richard, are you guys getting up to Aussie World again? It would be cool to see another update especially with the Flume/water playground progressing.

All this stuff happening at Aussie World kinda makes me want to make a visit. Can honestly say I have never been there however its distance is a bit of a put off for me at the moment!

I've been there several times over the last decade. Back when Aussie World was mostly known for 'The Luge', my dad and I used to go there quite a bit. Was a LOT of fun, but they closed it in 2004 because of public liability + rising cost of insurance (so I heard). We went in 2003 for my 14th bday. Went again at the beginning of 08 and then again at the beginning of 09. It's certainly come a LONG way and it has some good fun rides. I can honestly say the Bumper cars shit on the ones at Intencity in Movie World and the Wild Mouse coaster is always fun. The Octopus ride is always good too. And now with the Disq'O it should be even better. I plan to take my 4 yo cousin on the summer holidays when the flume opens - its very kid friendly. And the best part of the park is definitely the theming and presentation. It always looks spotless, even more so than Movie World. It's a world class park albeit small and with fairground rides. And for 1/3 of the price of the big parks + no lines + no rude staff + cheaper, yummier food - its definitely worth a visit. Go on a weekend though, its a better vibe with more people there.