VIP pass after 31st Oct

SteveB1

I think that the current VIP pass offer will no longer be valid for purchase after to October 31st. With the wife and I the only 2 who would a VIP pass, this offer did nothing for us as would be the case with anyone not in a family situation. I say they will scrap it and do nothing until the christmas period where they will once again lower to $69.95.

Edited by Wyncenuros

Three options: "Extended due to popular demand" "reduced price \ offering" eg: $69.95 until Xmas etc. "nothing until after the Xmas holidays" Or a possible combination of (1) and (3)

Option 4: No need to offer a VIP pass beyond this period, is because the world will be ending in 2012 anyway, so people wouldn’t get the full 12 months use out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the death of these passes. The quick revenue raiser seems to be coming to an end!!!

Speak for yourself, dude. I think something like that is easy to say if you only have yourself to cater for, or are financially better off than most. As a family of four on a tight budget we can't always afford the big price tag that comes with 2 x adult + 2 x child (well over $200 mark) entry into the theme parks when we visit the Gold Coast. These passes have been a saviour for us and others in a similar situation, they have granted us the opportunity to experience and appreciate more of these parks where we wouldn't normally be able to afford it. Had it not been for them, we wouldn't have been able to take our kids to Movieworld AND Seaworld during our visit down there in August, it would have just been the one park. And believe me, they had an absolute ball at both! The smiles on their faces were priceless. I think the VIP passes have been a fantastic option, and I'll personally be very sad to see them go. Hopefully they will still be around for many years to come, given the stressful financial situation that so many families are struggling with in this day and age. Edited by OceanGirl

I think they'll perhaps gradually put them up in price. I think a real test was getting them above the psychological $99 mark. Agree with what OceanGirl is saying in that the old price structure of both the big theme park players was probably pricing them out of the very market they were trying to attract (I've got a better post to make on this soon) But that said I think $99 was a bit too cheap , and even a VIP pass at $130 or above is great value for money.

I'd like to see them bring back a "locals only" style pass - QLD postcodes only - your locals won't spend on merch and F&B as much as the tourists, but it is easy for them to make frequent trips to the parks - so a couple of bucks each visit will make more from them in the long run. Also - having them available only for a limited time means you force people to make a decision early, rather than deciding to get one for christmas, making peak season even more unbearable (pass processing centre also). Allowing people to reuse the same pass, and simply "electronically" extending them is also a great idea. The VIP needs to replace the traditional "annual pass", at a pricepoint somewhere between the two. $200ish, with your buy 3 get one free offer, and add in hallowe'en and christmas events (maybe another one for easter?), and toss in some minor discounts on merch or F&B (the gold VIP had a booklet of discount offers that were quite popular) and I think they're on a winner. If Dreamworld keeps their pass at the same markers, they run the risk of appearing "inferior", so they'll follow with something similar too. That being said, i don't think we'll see it return until june\july.

Annual passes should only be used by parks who have a larger percentage of international tourists. Like Universal studios, or Disney. While it works for them it doesn't work in Australia due to small international numbers which means less sales and the low price of the passes makes matters worse, with a few visits the parks are already out of pocket.

Speak for yourself, dude. I think something like that is easy to say if you only have yourself to cater for, or are financially better off than most. As a family of four on a tight budget we can't always afford the big price tag that comes with 2 x adult + 2 x child (well over $200 mark) entry into the theme parks when we visit the Gold Coast. These passes have been a saviour for us and others in a similar situation, they have granted us the opportunity to experience and appreciate more of these parks where we wouldn't normally be able to afford it. Had it not been for them, we wouldn't have been able to take our kids to Movieworld AND Seaworld during our visit down there in August, it would have just been the one park. And believe me, they had an absolute ball at both! The smiles on their faces were priceless. I think the VIP passes have been a fantastic option, and I'll personally be very sad to see them go. Hopefully they will still be around for many years to come, given the stressful financial situation that so many families are struggling with in this day and age.

I can only speak for myself as I do not know the circumstances of every person in the forums. From your post I will say for you and your family yes they were a fantastic option. I had an Annual Pass to MW from New Years Day 2000 through to a couple of years ago. The VIP passes came out and I stopped attending MW almost altogether as the direction of the park was no longer of interest to me. Remembering that the park is first and foremost a business and all businesses need to turn a profit to remain operating. The passes did what MW intended them to do, kept revenue up and kept the park operating during a financially difficult time for everyone. Sure the flip side is it became a great deal for a lot of people but I am sure they didn't decide "Hey why don't we bring out this pass because it will be a great deal for the general public. Oh and we just might make some money along the way." Edited by Wyncenuros

So they went with option number two... Seems a bit silly though to sell "cheap" passes that are specifically just for the busy summer holiday period... But from a business perspective, there's a lot of teenager's Christmas presents... So I guess it makes sense from that angle.

I find it funny the way that Dreamworld have altered their pricing for this financial year. They have ditched their traditional annual passes completely in favour of the Unlimited World Passes (till June 2012 or 2013). Dreamworld have also been doing something similar to what Village have now picked up on - have a $99 Holiday World Pass for 21 days.

So they went with option number two... Seems a bit silly though to sell "cheap" passes that are specifically just for the busy summer holiday period... But from a business perspective, there's a lot of teenager's Christmas presents... So I guess it makes sense from that angle.

There's also the fact that people visiting might be only wanting to visit one or two of the parks (but aren't decided as to which). If one company can offer a better deal than the other one then the tourists might be more likely to spend their money on that pass. Any revenue would be better than no revenue in that situation.

• 2 months later...