POLL - What Theme Park would you like to see in Australia?

Thrillrulz

What Theme Park Do You Want In Australia?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What major theme park group would you like to see build a park in Australia?

• Universal
    • Disney
    • Paramount
    • Cedar Fair
    • Six Flags
    • Legoland

No Legoland option? I personally can see a Legoland style park working very well in the Australian market. Probably most suited to Melbourne or Sydney though. Of course we would all like to see a Disney or Universal here, but let's be realistic, of all the chain parks, it's Legoland that will be best suited, and most likely. No Legoland option? I personally can see a Legoland style park working very well in the Australian market. Probably most suited to Melbourne or Sydney though. Of course we would all like to see a Disney or Universal here, but let's be realistic, of all the chain parks, it's Legoland that will be best suited, and most likely.

Oh please, we already have a LegoLand - just without the lego. It's called Dreamworld. Same calibre of rides, only difference being Dreamworld calls theirs "thrill" rides. *snort*

No way in hell is Dreamworld like Legoland. I have never seen a Legoland park with a worlds highest freefall tower. Once worlds fastest roller coaster, Roller coasters with inversions, Large pendulum ride. Laser tag themed after horror movies. Legoland is a very kid centred park while Dreamworld is more for teens and old while still having plenty of space for the younger audience.

Yeah I agree that Legoland and Dreamworld are completely different. I have only been to one Legoland, but it was vastly different in the quality and types of rides, shows and experiences to Dreamworld. They are aiming at different demographics and organised differently. I don't think Merlin could buy Dreamworld add Lego and it would be a Legoland. I imagine it would have to be a major restructure of the park. Even Cypress Gardens had to have a fairly major refit to become Legoland Florida.

Assuming we're talking no budget limits Disney would be great over here as a family park Universal would be like movieworld was. Not really much point IMO of bringing it over - let's just fix up MW again Paramount - no comment as I've never been to one Cedar Fair - Only ever been to Knotts which was great, but basically Dreamworld so we could just fix DW up. Not sure about other CF parks Six Flags - Hell yes. Screw the theming, spend more money on kick ass rides with basic or no theming. Legoland - I wasn't overly impressed with much except the minitures they have built there. So screw the kids.

Assuming we're talking no budget limits Disney would be great over here as a family park Universal would be like movieworld was. Not really much point IMO of bringing it over - let's just fix up MW again Paramount - no comment as I've never been to one Cedar Fair - Only ever been to Knotts which was great, but basically Dreamworld so we could just fix DW up. Not sure about other CF parks Six Flags - Hell yes. Screw the theming, spend more money on kick ass rides with basic or no theming. Legoland - I wasn't overly impressed with much except the minitures they have built there. So screw the kids.

Universal is nothing like MW except being studio based. For instance Universal is my favourate chain but I have a strong dislike for MW.

For instance Universal is my favourate chain but I have a strong dislike for MW.

Well that clearly states your argument. Good job. Universal sound stage show = Movieworld sound stage show Universal theatre shows = Movieworld Roxy theatre Universal 1-ups MW with the studio tour and related events. Overall though, it's just a better MW on a larger scale and budget

I'm not sure If I'd care for Disney too much. My most recent trip taught me that they actually have a large number of attractions that simply aren't fun or entertaining. Or maybe it was just EPCOT. Oooh, and all this talk of Universal reminds me that Transformers opens in less than a month. I plan on heading over in February, so I'm making a real effort to abstain from watching any POVs before I visit.

Edited by Gazza

It'll be intersting to see peopels views where the next big theme park should be built. 4 in Qld is probably 1 too many. Sydney & Melbourne have institutions such as Luna Park & they'll be compromised. (I know you cant compare the 2 types of parks) Adelaide has no tourism WA is a logical choice for me.

It'll be intersting to see peopels views where the next big theme park should be built. 4 in Qld is probably 1 too many. Sydney & Melbourne have institutions such as Luna Park & they'll be compromised. (I know you cant compare the 2 types of parks) Adelaide has no tourism WA is a logical choice for me.

WA has adventure world, which would be compromised.

Sydney & Melbourne have institutions such as Luna Park & they'll be compromised. (I know you cant compare the 2 types of parks)

Good! Have you actually been to witness how bad Luna Park really is? And Sydney is Australia's most populated city, it gets the most tourism, and it's in good location of all Australia's other major cities compared to anywhere in WA, I'm pretty sure that would be the sensible solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love nothing more for a Disney theme park to open here right now, what ever come of those rumors a couple of years back? However Shangai is the big D's focus at the moment and you could amost see the Middle East popping up on their radar soon after that, as all parks want to get in over there. Universal would be cool, but it would be as discussed if Movie World were to get an overhaul. Last time I was there with VIP passes I was there for about 2 hours, the park feels 20 years old and in a bad way. If a big group were to open up a park here it would be good to see something different, the Disneylands are sort of similar, the alot of the Universal's really similar to the Florida park. The overseas visitors aren't going to flock here if the parks are similar to what they have at home.

Good! Have you actually been to witness how bad Luna Park really is? And Sydney is Australia's most populated city, it gets the most tourism, and it's in good location of all Australia's other major cities compared to anywhere in WA, I'm pretty sure that would be the sensible solution.

You cannot really compare the Luna Parks to a large theme park like the GC ones.Both Luna Parks are a fun park with very little theming as such and both draw heavily on their historical significance and historical rides (LPS Wild Mouse, Coney Island and Rotor,LPM Scenic Railway,Carousel and Ghost Train) to attract people. I think that Victoria and NSW could each have a theme park built which would have little impact on their operation. This would largely be due also to their respective locations right in the middle of Sydney and Melbourne- the infrastructure and people are right there. Any new prospective theme park in VIC or NSW will be mostly outside of metro areas and will have to rely on new infrastructure and allow travel time for their prospective patrons. Wonderland , to some extent in its early life, was hampered by this.

Personally, I think that the 'historical charm' angle of LPS/LPM is a bit of a cop out to actually providing a decent park on their part. Places such as Grona Lund show the right way to have a historical waterfront park with severe space limitations, yet still manage to provide high quality modern attractions.

I will say this about Luna Parks Sydney. They do not have the opportunity to really create high quality attractions. The reason for this, is that many of the building are heritage listed, so they can't do anything to them. (Examples Coney Island and the Rotor building) Their is also rides that are heritage listed (Coney island rides, rotor). Lastly they are the victims of complaining neighbors about noise. As was seen with the 2nd big dipper (now Cyclone at Dreamworld). There is also restrictions on what they can build because of high issues and other matters due to council regulations.