Inside Today:the Bat, the Bunny & The Bermuda Triangle

MickeyD

Alan Griffith designed Bermuda Triangle and the ride was constructed by Alder. All were completed locally. Alder went on to design MW Germany. Much of the infrastructure for BT was based on the Lasseters (!) ride. I found some images, both internal ( a little grainy) and external circa 1988. I will scan and post next week. Was at Movieworld today, huge crowd, and extended wait times was the order of the day. As i was leaving around 5.30pm, a heavy duty crane arrived and proceeded to the LTRR area. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Alan Griffith designed Bermuda Triangle and the ride was constructed by Alder. All were completed locally. Alder went on to design MW Germany. Much of the infrastructure for BT was based on the Lasseters (!) ride. I found some images, both internal ( a little grainy) and external circa 1988. I will scan and post next week.

Thanks for the information! You've done some good research there

I went to Sea World today and it is the same story. SBNO! Anyway a bit off topic but the mist at the end of the tunnel on Jet rescue was not and the coaster seemed to be launching faster today. Also they were very efficient and basically as soon as one coaster came in the other went out. Also Sea Vipers screen the displays photos was displaying the Windows XP screen saver. Sorry no pictures, didn't have a camera today. Anyway just a little update.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a pointless post or if it has already been posted but I noticed they reworded the notice of 'Bermuda Triangle''s closure on the 'Attractions Maintenance' page of the Sea World website. It now reads 'Bermuda Triangle has been permanently closed'. The 'to make way for an exciting new attraction' bit is gone. I haven't been on here in ages so sorry if this has been already mentioned. If it is a pointless post because it could be just 'nothing' then well sorry. At least it can generate some discussion.

Wouldn't this now imply they're actually doing nothing?

LOL. Exactly! It would seem more likely to me that with MW potentially adding some new major attractions this year, Sea World would not get anything major in the same year. In saying that though, with the amount of ride removals over the last couple of years and the fact that the Village parks are already relatively small, it could justify an increased injection of capital in a short space of time. Either way, it'll be disappointing if they leave such a prominent part of the park empty for much longer

Food for thought: One of the changes since the cheap local passes came out is that Village is no longer competiting with itself. People aren't going to go to one park or the other anymore, they just get the VIP pass and go to both. Having attractions opening at the same time at different parks compliment each other now, making the VIP pass seem like a more compelling product, rather than canabilising each each other, so it's perhaps not an unthinkable thought to have major attractions opening at different parks at the same time anymore.

seaworld's major focus is marine wildlife - of which is has plenty including the new penguin exhibit. MW major focus is rides. Whilst i believe something needs to replace Bermuda, i think it is much more important for MW to get a decent family flat ride to replace LTRR prior to anything happening at SW. A theme park based around rides losing 2 attractions is more urgent than a wildlife based park missing a ride

But while Sea World is a marine life park, it's strength is maintaining a balance of rides, shows, and attractions. Many people would defer a visit if the park was simply animals with an expression of 'we've seen sharks and dolphins and penguins before'. Sea World doesn't need a LOT of attractions - and lets face it, they don't have the room for them, but they do still need a core ride-base to keep those non-animal-interested people coming for those unique rides. It's also not 'a wildlife based park missing a ride'... it's missing 3 - Pirate Ship, Bermuda and the Train (they ARE all rides)... Sure, they've put in the battle boats etc, but those took over an already popular waterpark area, so it's hardly a replacement for the three that are missing. IMHO - SW needs to replace those that are gone with something else - and perhaps explore the options of attractions that extend out over the carpark, so save losing too much space inside the gates.

They could fit some kind of coaster over the north end of the lake. I thought a B&M flying coaster would go nicely sweeping close over the water and doing an Immelmann loop around the bridge by removing the path underneath the bridge. It's a good quality coaster that itself would attract many more people to the park.

But while Sea World is a marine life park, it's strength is maintaining a balance of rides, shows, and attractions. Many people would defer a visit if the park was simply animals with an expression of 'we've seen sharks and dolphins and penguins before'. Sea World doesn't need a LOT of attractions - and lets face it, they don't have the room for them, but they do still need a core ride-base to keep those non-animal-interested people coming for those unique rides. It's also not 'a wildlife based park missing a ride'... it's missing 3 - Pirate Ship, Bermuda and the Train (they ARE all rides)... Sure, they've put in the battle boats etc, but those took over an already popular waterpark area, so it's hardly a replacement for the three that are missing. IMHO - SW needs to replace those that are gone with something else - and perhaps explore the options of attractions that extend out over the carpark, so save losing too much space inside the gates.

Really well said Alex. I totally agree with all of that

They could fit some kind of coaster over the north end of the lake. I thought a B&M flying coaster would go nicely sweeping close over the water and doing an Immelmann loop around the bridge by removing the path underneath the bridge. It's a good quality coaster that itself would attract many more people to the park.

I doubt Seaworld will be getting a B&M anytime soon lol In fact, considering their only rides at the moment are 2 coasters, I think they should really get a good family ride or flat ride before even thinking of another coaster (as much as I love coasters lol)

At the risk of flogging a dead horse :D , I agree with these sentiments 100%, as they only build on the long held view shared by myself, GoGoBoy and others on the board. I am actually a little surprised that you share this view AlexB, as this situation is similar to the one currently afflicting Movieworld (ie attractions being removed without replacement and pesky Parkz posters having the temerity to question and discuss managements decision on why ;) ). Seaworld is a park that requires a fine balance between animal attractions and rides. In recent years, starting with the removal of the Thrillseeker rollercoaster, Seaworld has steadily added animal based attractions (and don't get me wrong, these have been world class such as Polar Bear Shores and Shark Bay) at the expense of ride based attractions.Their ride line up has dwindled until it is what it is today. Seaworld desperately needs at least 2 decent family flat rides, the eventual replacement of Bermuda and the reopening and re-invigoration of the Seaworld railway before they consider expanding up and over the carpark. I say lets fix what lies within the parks boundaries before pushing them. The imbalance needs to be addressed. This brings me to another point. Does anybody have any explanation for the removal of The Pirate Ship? It obviously was not mechanical in nature, as it has now been successfully relocated to a park in Victoria (Funfields) So...why?? Does not really make sense to remove a perfectly working ride and NOT replace it? :blink:

I doubt Seaworld will be getting a B&M anytime soon lol In fact, considering their only rides at the moment are 2 coasters, I think they should really get a good family ride or flat ride before even thinking of another coaster (as much as I love coasters lol)

Don't they have the monorail, splash boats, skyway, flume and the ones in the Sesame/Nick area? I thought these were rides but I guess I was wrong.

Don't they have the monorail, splash boats, skyway, flume and the ones in the Sesame/Nick area? I thought these were rides but I guess I was wrong.

I don't see many people in the middle of winter going, "lets go to a park to get wet and cold then to top it off lets get some rides around the park on the monorail, before trying to fit on the little kids rides." Basically all Sea World has (apart from the coasters) is two transport rides, one ride that leaves you soaked and one that's a very basic flume ride. Other then that you need to be a kid to ride them.

I guess it's different messages in different areas - my post here was to correct the assumption that sea world was a marine park that was just missing a ride. Sea World as 'just' a marine park won't survive as it is. On the other (and slightly off topic) hand - my discussions for MovieWorld surround the allegation that the closure \ removal was a poor management decision - and me saying that without inside knowledge, nobody knows the truth of that statement. I can see how you may view my comments as you have, but realistically, they're both just trying to correct the views stated by someone whom I believe to be wrong.

This brings me to another point. Does anybody have any explanation for the removal of The Pirate Ship? It obviously was not mechanical in nature, as it has now been successfully relocated to a park in Victoria (Funfields) So...why?? Does not really make sense to remove a perfectly working ride and NOT replace it? :blink:

I think surfrider was going there. Sold the pirate ship then change there mind to WW