LA trip which parks to visit?

sammymoo88

Although I've never been to any of those parks in America, I know what they are like and what they have to offer. Me personally being a huge roller coaster fan, and having already been to Disneyland in Paris numerous times, I would visit Universal Studios and SFMM. The way I see it is this

• [*]The park mostly based on theming and actual park go-er experience and not on thrills - Disneyland [*]The park inbetween these two, which is much like MovieWorld, just more theming and better rides - Universal [*]The park mainly focusing on thrill rides and the coasters themselves, not much theming - Six Flags Magic Mountain

I did the Disney & Knotts at Halloween time (and the Knotts special after-hours event, which was amazing). I think in 5 days you could easily fit in SFMM, Knotts, Disney & possibly Universal. I didn't do Universal on my last trip though. We spent 2 days between the two Disney Parks (California Adventure & the main Disneyland). If I could, I'd probably spend 3 days there, but that's just because I can never get enough of Disney. We did get all the major stuff done in the 2 days though (with both days having 8 to 12 opening hours). So, yeah, I think you shouldn't have any problems in getting all the stuff you want to get done in the 5 days.

I did both Disney Parks, Universal and Knotts when I was there in '09. Unfortunately I missed out on SFMM, but had already been to a SF park on the east coast (Great Adventure). Disneyland was really great, you should definitely go there. You just have to experience it! Disney's California Adventure was ok, but far behind Disneyland. I don't think it's a 'must do' park. Knotts was very good too, so I recommend that one if you have time. A good mix of thrilling rides, family rides and theming better than Six Flags but worse than Disney and Universal. (also, Ghostrider is my favourite wooden coaster!) Universal was... eh. I actually prefer Movie World to be honest. Sure Jurassic Park and the Mummy coaster are fun rides and the Simpsons simulator is the best simulator ride I've been on, and they do have a few decent shows, but the park just felt... small. And lacking attractions that I was interested in. If you're really into movies and theming, I guess you'd enjoy it, but it was my least favourite of the LA parks. (the Studio Tour was probably the highlight of Universal, followed closely by the Jurassic Park ride) I haven't been to Magic Mountain, but it seems to be coaster heaven. I loved Six Flags Great Adventure, so if it's anything like that (and MM seems to be one of the flagship SF parks), then it'll be awesome. So, definitely go to Disneyland and probably also Six Flags. Knotts is great too, if you can fit it in. Hope you have a great trip!

It's all pretty much been said. Disneyland is usually a must - they combine thrills in their storylines, their theming is right at the top, and the overall experience is just magical. As for the other two choices - you really need to decide whether you just want thrills (SFMM) or more of an experience. Personally, i'd try and get in SFMM, DL Cali, Knotts and Universal - and california adventure if you have the time.

Thanks guys for all your responses.. Believe me if i had my way id be making my way through all the theme parks in the usa lol but my partner isnt much of a coaster fan and its our first time outta the country so i have compromised to 2 parks.. Disney i think is a must for me and im leaning towards universal studios only because im not keen on riding 17 coasters on my own lol

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think you should just go to SFMM. You're lucky enough to have the opportunity to be in the same state as a fantastic theme park, and I think it'd be a waste to go to Universal and Disneyland. I'm actually trying to save up money to go to California just so I can go to SFMM. I'll be riding the rides alone but it'll be more than worth it IMO. I think you should try going to SFMM and ditch Universal. Hollywood's Universal park is very mediocre, even Movieworld has more rides.

I visited last year, it just didnt do much for me personally. But I'm not saying dont go, I think you should go to Disneyland and SFMM, so thats one park your wife will like and another park that you will like. I just think the YOU needs to try one family-type themed park, and one thrill-filled amusement park.

Edited by alex_1

SFMM is a must do as people have said, a large number of coasters, some of them quite impressive. Keep in mind it will only be open on weekends until the last week of March, if that's the case go on a Sunday. Knott's should be absolutely dead on a week day in March (it's open everyday) so it's worth doing because you can get it done very quickly. Disney is a must-do, especially if you've never been before. California Adventure is okay, if you've got to choose maybe not. Universal should be pretty dead too. The bottom line is have a look at the park websites and work out which parks have the most stuff you want to do and prioritse accordingly based on what you like.