Superman Escape effects?

GoGoBoy

I just noticed a post someone wrote on Movie World's facebook wall asking why they turned off the 'water sprays' on Superman Escape. I'm guessing this refers to the flood scene in the dark ride portion before the launch? Does this flood of water no longer happen? Very disappointing if true, though not surprising. The whole sequence works well but there aren't that many effects that actually take place, so it makes it more important that everything actually works Update: I just had a thought. Is it possible he was actually referring to the old mist sprays on Batwing and just got the ride name completely wrong?

Edited by GoGoBoy

He was referring to the mist sprays - but the mist sprays on Superman Escape. When it originally opened (and for a while), it sprayed mist as you came back out of the building (you know, the time you go through the building after the second hill). The flood scene still works fully.

Glad to hear. Although I think it was actually steam that sprayed out of the Superman Escape 'portals' rather that water mist, right?

trouble with Steamers (hehe) over time they rot away their surroundings exposing them to moisture and rust. High upkeep costs for past attractions like Gremlins were largely caused by the amount of steam and moisture used. By the time the ride got it's first big overhaul the squad vehicle at the unload dock (which had constant steam running through it) literally fell to pieces when it was taken away! I noticed they removed the steam effects from the Tune ride a few years back as well. WWF used a mi-fog effect that created a cool misty haze around the geyser area without steam or chemicals but I haven't seen it running in years. I thought this was the same kind of machine used over at Superman

I haven't seen the Superman projection on the ceiling just before launch for awhile. Unless I was imagining seeing it before...

I normally have the opinion that all effects should be working, but the projection of a flower that's supposed to be Superman is one of the weakest effects known to man. Nothing wrong with this one not getting fixed, the ride is stronger without it IMHO.

I normally have the opinion that all effects should be working, but the projection of a flower that's supposed to be Superman is one of the weakest effects known to man. Nothing wrong with this one not getting fixed, the ride is stronger without it IMHO.

I know it was just a bad blur but it added to the idea that Superman had arrived to push us clear. And for the same reason you can't get rid of him from the back.

Can anyone confirm what the image on the gobo actually was. And +1 to your post Joz. Its like when Everest got rid of the bird on a stick. Better of without it.

^ You do realise that's pretty much the entire point of the ride, right?

I personally don't think the silly looking midget Superman is the point of the ride. The people on the ride can't see him while their riding so it doesn't impact the ride experience, all they need to hear is the Superman audio and launch to get the concept. Everytime I see the little tacker attached to the back of the train I cringe, it looks so much smaller than a regular sized human being. Overall I really like the theming of the coaster, and I think it makes Superman unique in the coaster world. Though I'd happily trade all the theming for more airtime hills or some maverick-style inversions.

Nor do they have OSTR's..... I'll add my 2 cents worth, I actually like the Superman figure on the back of the trains. I see why downunder isn't a fan of it, but it isn't causing anyone harm. Talking theme wise though, if there is one thing that needs changing, it's the plaza area. I've always thought that area feels somewhat unfinished, and that some form of Central Park theme would work well for that area. While we are at it, why not chuck up some Metropolis building facades on the side of the show building, and finish it off with some Subway Entry style of signage pointing to the entry?

Agree with most on here. Don't think Superman at the back of the carriage is gimmicky at all. Fits with the theme and 'story'. As for cringing when u see it, I honestly dont think most people notice it as they as focusing on the train itself. I don't think they put it there as a focal point. Can't make some people happy. World class ride, great theming.

Talking theme wise though, if there is one thing that needs changing, it's the plaza area. I've always thought that area feels somewhat unfinished, and that some form of Central Park theme would work well for that area. While we are at it, why not chuck up some Metropolis building facades on the side of the show building, and finish it off with some Subway Entry style of signage pointing to the entry?

That reminds me of what 4 years ago. I agree it would be a good idea though.

Talking theme wise though, if there is one thing that needs changing, it's the plaza area. I've always thought that area feels somewhat unfinished, and that some form of Central Park theme would work well for that area. While we are at it, why not chuck up some Metropolis building facades on the side of the show building, and finish it off with some Subway Entry style of signage pointing to the entry?

Yeah totally agree. I think I remember lots of discussion on these forums about it when the ride first opened. Such a plain, sparse courtyard and entry area. Same with the queuing area. The ride makes up for it with decent on-ride theming, but a more impressive entry would have been nice. This seems to be a worrying trend with Village parks (Superman, Batwing, Jet Rescue, Green Lantern (?)) - cutting back on ride and surrounding area presentation. It is disappointing as theme parks are supposed to make you feel like you are in another world. Not to mention people who might not want to (or can't) go on all the rides but still want to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere

Agree with most on here. Don't think Superman at the back of the carriage is gimmicky at all. Fits with the theme and 'story'. As for cringing when u see it, I honestly dont think most people notice it as they as focusing on the train itself. I don't think they put it there as a focal point. Can't make some people happy. World class ride, great theming.

I agree that it's a world class ride, and has many unique features - the best ride in Australia IMO. I understand midget Superman isn't the focus of the ride, and I'll just continue to find it a source of amusement. As long as the coaster is good, I couldn't care less if they had midget Superman dry humping the train from behind doggy style. I'm a hard marker for rides because I've had a chance to travel a bit, and I think your perception of a ride changes the more rides you've experienced and parks visited. For instance I thought Magic Mountain was the ants pants until I went to Cedar Point, but then Cedar Point lost a lot of it's lustre when I rode coasters like El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Balder, and Super Ride of Steel (aka Bizarro). I also think there's a divergence of opinions on theming and no one's wrong, we all have our preferences. I prefer thrills over theming, but if a ride has theming and it adds to the ride then I'll enjoy it. Sometimes even simple theming can really work, for instance Top Thrill Dragster makes every ride seem like an event with the Christmas Lights, audio, mini grand stand, and speed read out on a sign.

I'm a hard marker for rides because I've had a chance to travel a bit, and I think your perception of a ride changes the more rides you've experienced and parks visited.

I think a lot of people on this forum have actually traveled overseas and visited superior theme parks. I'm one of those people, but I still think Superman Escape is one of the best rides I've ever ridden (because it has everything. Amazing acceleration, good theming and a good story-line). Superman Escape came in at #17 around the world. Just a note on that though. This is what it would have ranked if it had enough opinions put in. Because, obviously, it's in Australia and didn't have many riders in the poll, they put it in a separate list and said 'here's what it WOULD have been if we put it in'. http://www.ushsho.com/detailedsteelrollercoasterpollresults2010.htm Edited by Bmull19