Legoland Australia?

themeparknut2011

I was just reading about the upcoming Legoland Malaysia on Screamscape and saw this article: http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor/legoland-park-to-offer-seven-themed-areas-1.16781 One particular passage caught my eye: "Legoland Malaysia is the first Legoland in Asia and the sixth in the world. Other Legoland are found in Denmark; United Kingdom; Germany; Florida and California, both in the United States. In the pipelines are plans to bring Legoland to South Korea, Australia and Japan." Australia?? Did I miss something? I've heard about locations being picked for Legoland Japan, and about Merlin buying Sydney Aquarium. However, Legoland in Australia that is news to me! Has anyone heard anything about this?

I think Legoland parks are kinda neat... especially for kids/families. I could see Legoland being a big hit over here. When Village sold Sydney Attractions Group to Merlin, they mentioned they would look at teaming up with them on projects in Australia such as Legoland Discovery Centres (smaller indoor amusement centres). They didn't specifically refer to Legoland parks however

I'm a big fan of Legoland! Definitely not a daycare centre. I've only been to Legoland Billund, which isn't the biggest merlin park, and we could have spent 2 days in it easily (without children). Definitely planning to visit other Legoland parks in the future! While it is not a thrill park, it is definitely a wonderfully themed family park. I've heard on twitter that they might be refering to a Legoland Discovery Centre rather than a full park. Even so it would be big new for the industry here if it is true.

• 6 months later...

just got back from sydney, didnt check out madam tussards but i did notice, now please keep in mind that i have not been to sydney in a few years, but the aquaruim had a few lego ststues around. they have probably been there for ages but i dont recall them before.

They have been there for close to a year now, alot of them have been taken out (we have 3 out the back that look like they're grinding each other). WILDLIFE used to have them around but we got rid of them aswell, and to be honest i don't really see where they would of fit aswell because its already tiny enough in there, and school groups dont do any justice to it either..... I haven't had a look at Madam's either but i have seen some of the 78 (?) characters and they do look really well done, even up close.

This would be awesome.. I think it would really do well, although the location might be a make or break factor, seeing as though SegaWorld died even though it was in the prime Darling Harbour district (although it was a fair way back from the boardwalk area where most restaurant/shops are. Yet the Aquarium survives and it's even further away, though somewhat of a tourist icon. They are redeveloping the Harbour area behind the IMAX where SegaWorld was, with a massive new play area, park, kids fountains and shops, so perhaps there's something on the cards although from the sounds of the article, not to happen for quite a few years. Either way I'm pretty pumped for it!

This would be awesome.. I think it would really do well, although the location might be a make or break factor, seeing as though SegaWorld died even though it was in the prime Darling Harbour district (although it was a fair way back from the boardwalk area where most restaurant/shops are. Yet the Aquarium survives and it's even further away, though somewhat of a tourist icon. They are redeveloping the Harbour area behind the IMAX where SegaWorld was, with a massive new play area, park, kids fountains and shops, so perhaps there's something on the cards although from the sounds of the article, not to happen for quite a few years. Either way I'm pretty pumped for it!

That areas been complete since like last march.... And what boardwalk? its ON king st wharf? No one goes towards the "Ent Cent" where SW was. Also where would anything new in Darling Harbour fit? theres literally no room.

That areas been complete since like last march.... And what boardwalk? its ON king st wharf? No one goes towards the "Ent Cent" where SW was. Also where would anything new in Darling Harbour fit? theres literally no room.

Oops sorry, I wasn't trying to troll. I do live up in QLD now, but I swear they were still working on the new area when I was in Sydney last December. Must have my years mixed up! By boardwalk I meant the area where the IMAX/Home nightclub/restaurants are, from memory Sega was on the other side down towards the Ent Centre. Yeah, you're right there isn't much left, I wonder where else would be a tourist-y enough area to have a park, though. Or what sort of size they are after. Given Western Sydney is getting a Wet N Wild, maybe there will be a location that's more suitable out that way.

While I never attended the Brisbane ones, Grace Bros. (now Myers) In Sydney also used to host a Lego World Display once a year. They were fairly large exhibitions and always very popular. I remember having some official guides or souvenir books from them (may still be packed away somewhere). After they stopped holding them at Myers they actually opened a permanent Lego World at Birkenhead Point, but it didn't seem to last long...

seeing Nintendo consoles treated to the bargin bin without a perminant display was most distressing on my last visit!

Any gamer over 12 will tell you that Nintendo have dug themselves the same hole that Dreamworld are currently in. They are STILL trying to be innovators in the gaming world- this is something thats been happening for countless years now right back to the Powerglove an Virtual Boy. Now try and find a decent game on a Nintendo console that doesn't involve Mario, Yoshi OR Luigi. I only know 1-Epic Mickey.

That's news to me considering that in the Video Game setor alone, they are kicking Sony's ass in terms of sales. Just look at the latest Nintendo sales slaughterhouse of a new Sony console.... 3DS VS Vita.... Absolute slaughter in the sales.... In fact Vita is performing WORSE than the PSP did against the DS. To quote a recent game magazine title concerning the Vita..... "The Third Place"..... That says it all, well third behind Apple, and Nintendo. "Resident Evil: Revelations" is a great little game(better than Resident Evil 5!) and Super Street Fighter 4 3D is the best portable fighting game ever. Nintendo's only problem, and it's a pretty big one at that, is that they spent a shitload of cash developing the Wii U and their last financial year was troublesome because of it and a botched launch for the 3DS(which has since gone on to become their fastest selling console ever, breaking all of their own "first year sales" records, and is poised to become one of their biggest sucess stories yet). Profits on the 3DS will be seen this year. And the thing is, Nintendo spends cash developing new consoles(heck they have forced Sony and Microsoft to prematurely begin development on PS4 and X-Box 3, when their original plan was for 7 to 10 years of the PS3/X360), and the 3DS looking awesome against the PSPGo(an abject falure) is what made Sony put the Vita on fast foward(a mistake in hindsight as it came into a hostile market and all but bombed). Dreamworld is more comparible to Sony than it is to Nintendo, Spend nothing and when they do it's only because the rival company has been spending shitloads on tech for years, getting the sales as a result... but also much short term financial problems. Nintendo is more like Movie World, they spent shitloads on new tech and risk sending themselves into financial peril by overspending, after years of underspending and developing "safe" consoles(see the Gamecube era). During that GC period, yes the Dreamworld comparision would have made sense, but Nintendo is spending massive amounts of cash on development in the recent years, as they seemed to hit on a sucessful formula with Wii of spending large on development of inhouse titles, launching early on their "Next gen" console(always aiming for profit in the second year), while Sony and Microsoft have actually been playing catchup and suffered to be fighting for second and third in sales. Dreamworld continues to spend nothing on any costly/risky project at all... Just like Sony. Nintendo have also been a bit cheeky with the 3DS, offering third party developers/publisher their distribution services(cutting costs for the developer/publisher).... ensuring there will be a glut of Third Party support for the 3DS and Wii U, that will remain Nintendo exclusive despite bearing another publisher's name. That's why the 3DS has seen alot of Third Party support so far. See, they do learn from their mistakes, this was them learning from their Resident Evil 4 mistake of taking Capcom at their word. Now Nintendo holds the distribution rights to "Resident Evil: Revelations" and other such third party titles(DOA:Dimensions, the latest Tekken, etc), there will be no repeat of that particular incident. It's almost as if the infamous "Nintendo Seal of Approval" is secretly sneaking back in.... late 80s style

Actually the amount of sales in this means jack. The wii has been losing money for years as almost everyone (who wants one) has already got one. In terms of money earn't the Wii has done by far the worst. If they had learnt from their mistakes what is up with the Wii U. Many sources are saying that it has less power then the current gen consoles and Developers saying it has slightly more power, but Sony and Microsoft are about to go to the next gen and then the Wii U will once again be in the past, plus its controller is weird. In terms of sales the PS3 and Xbox 360 have sold around the same amount consoles. Xbox slightly more with the PS3 catching up, but due to the pricing difference the PS3 has made a lot more money then the Xbox. So the order of sales is Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 but when it comes to money that the companies have earn't are PS3, Xbox 360, Wii. The only reason why the Wii sold more was because of the low price and target market (casual gamers). Although this brought people in quickly it has failed for them in the long term due to lack of sales in the latter part of its life. Sales on the portable systems also can not speak for the companies as each have a different target market causing the difference sales. The DS is marketed at kids while the PSP/Vita is marketed at gamers and older kids/young adults. Anything marketed at kids will always sell more due to kids always wanting what they see (not the best way to explain but you know what I mean). The PSP and Vita suffer because the target market is for elder gamers. The problem is that most elder gamers don't want to play on a portable device. Also developers are not making games for the devices so it suffers from a lack of games.

The only issues for wii's are the lack of decent follow up "big name" games, and how easily it is to pirate games for the console. I know it's a problem for all consoles, but does any other console have the ability to be modded for free in less than 30 minutes and have every game on the market available to it? I own a wii and a 360 (never found a game worth buying a ps3 for). The wii only gets used if I have people over, and the 360 only when I remember I have it as it's in a different room. Kind of back on topic a little, Sydney Aquarium seems to be getting re-branded to "Sea Life Aquarium" to fit in line with the ones overseas. Or maybe it's a new section opening within the place, I didn't take much notice of the sign and the map with the info on it is downstairs and I'm lazy

Kind of back on topic a little, Sydney Aquarium seems to be getting re-branded to "Sea Life Aquarium" to fit in line with the ones overseas. Or maybe it's a new section opening within the place, I didn't take much notice of the sign and the map with the info on it is downstairs and I'm lazy

As part of Merlin's takeover of a heap of attractions in our region, they have been renaming them all slowly: - Sydney Wildlife World has become WILD LIFE Sydney - Sydney Tower has become Sydney Tower Eye - Hamilton Island Wildlife Park has become WILD LIFE Hamilton Island - Sydney Aquarium will become SEA LIFE Sydney - Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World will become SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's/SEA LIFE Auckland - Melbourne Aquarium will become SEA LIFE Melbourne* - Underwater World will become SEA LIFE Mooloolaba* * - although these two are not confirmed, they are listed as such on Merlin's website - http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/en/company/locations.aspx

I don't think that it's going to be a new area at the aquarium, although we are fiddling with something.....I just can't remember what.... But with the whole Sea Life crap thats supposed to be happening in september, or at least thats what the map says anyway. Honestly they should of just left everything as it was, everybody knows them by the old names and not the new ones. Particularly cause they're not plugging them enough, if at all. Seriously in my animal studies class, with at least half of us going onto captive animals, if i said to anyone in my class that i work at WILD LIFE Sydney their direct reply is "Where the fuck is that?" but when i say Wildlife World they know exactly where/what it is. With some just needing me to say that its next to the aquarium because they were unsure of the name. Wii is shit. End of story.