I was in the Daily Telegraph

Jaggie

GoBoi, you mentioned...

If you are not willing to pay good money you often won't get great staff. This applies to the divisional and operational managers at Wonderland which is why a lot of them probably aren't the best suited to their roles. Wonderland simply wasn't willing to pay for top people.
Then mentioned...
The department is run by a small group of compassionate people who are obviously good at choosing the right person for the required job
Contradiction? I think so.

This is going to be the last time I type in this thread. Yes, I am an ex employee who was there for over 3 years. I did start of in the retail department and then moved to the attractions department, which to this day was a decision i didnt regret. I enjoyed my time in this department along with working with a great bunch of people. But the thing that annoys me the most is there were the bad things about this place that no one realises, because it was behind the scenes. eg: lack of staff treatment etc. I had a incident while i was operating the dodgems. Guests were coming up to me complaining about a certain group of people pushing in the queue. I told these people to go back to end of the queue, and boy did i cop an earfull of abuse. I rang certain channels eg: security who never showed up. This abuse kept on going and eventually me being physically abused by a punch in the face by these guests. I was told to have a few days of work the next day just in case they came back. Was I paid for those days off? No! Did Wonderland management apologise for not looking after there employee in the first place? No! Could I have taken this further? Yes! But i didnt (stupid me). Another incident was when I was operating the demon not so long ago. I refused a small child on the ride because he was under the height (by about 3cm or so). This certain supervisor came up to the ride measured this kid and to my astonishment and also to the unloader let this kid on. I gave the keys to this supervisor so he could operate the ride. Well was that a big mistake! I apparently undermined this supervisor authority. It is amazing how peole can get away with things like this when they were chummy with the operations manager. This supervisor go away with everything! just to mention a few. I could tell you more! Am i taking this further? YES! Human Resources a good little department! I dont think so! They really wouldnt know how to hire people and organise themselves if there life depended on it. I worked my butt of in that place and absolutely got nothing in return. Well thats going to change. One last thing, I did enjoy working there up until a few months before i left. I will always say this: 50% blame on sunway, 50% on wonderland management but how on earth can you blame the government! NO WAY!

Yet again Jack is talking out of her arse. Yes I do know exactly who you are and im a lot closer to you than you think. Every time something went wrong everyone else was to blame but yourself, try looking at yourself (attitude wise) a bit before blaming others. Saying that those two examples you have given were incorrectly delt with by everyone invloved. As for the HR department, they did the best they could with what they had to offer, and don't tell me that thats a load of crap. What experienced manager would work at WS, when, lets face it, the money is crap. Yes the higher level managers would have a nice package, including a car (some very nice ones too). Im talking about the lower levels of managment, if you offer peanuts you get monkeys. As for not giving some blame to the government, give us a break. The state government would of been informed of the decision to close and had to give approval. The approval would of been based on a few things and the major influences would of been two things money (think of how much money they are going to get from land sales) and employment. I think the employment issue would of been the biggest factor in the decision, think about it, 400 low paid jobs (less tax for the government), compared to several thousand job, many of them skilled postions (lots of tax on wages). The govenment could of zoned the land according to its use, forced Sunway to inject money to keep the park open, or force them to find another theme park operator to take over. The government could of also made a injection of money to keep the park open. ~Former

Screammachine - what a smug little comment that was you made about my post. Did I contradict myself? No. Here's why - The Human Resources Department manager is part of the executive team. As mentioned above, all of the exec team would be on good salaries and have overall very decent packages. I was referring to the operational managers which, in terms of pay, are a huge step down from the execs. I believe a lot of these ops managers are/were not good at managing staff and keeping them happy which has led to a few internal issues. This is simply because Wonderland was not always able to hire the most experienced people for these particular roles as they could not cough up enough cash for them. I am certainly not saying that this is the case with ALL of the ops and dept managers. Obviously there would be a number of them with good management skills. But in general terms you are not going to get great managers to stick around if you pay them lousy wages. Simple as that. Regarding what I was saying about the Human resources department being good at hiring the right people for the right jobs... I was talking about the level 1 general park positions ie. attractions, food & bev, guest services etc. The majority of them are friendly, enthusiastic people as i'm sure everyone will agree