New Attraction

seaboi

Hi guys, This is my first post, so i hope im doing it right. I got some goss from Sea World is that Shark Bay has been either cancelled or delayed big time. In its place will be a crocodile enclosure. This enclosure will hold more than 60 crocs, and will be located behind the mid monorail station and next to polar bear shores. So this must be what John Mennzies was talking about when he said that we were getting an exciting new attraction in the coming year.... 'Chricky, i wonder what thats all about' It looks as if plans are finalised and construction could be starting soon as peg markings can be seen behind the monorail station. Have Fun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - salt-water crocodiles (the ones that are of any interest - freshies are smaller, and I'm sure Steve Irwin would agree with me in that they don't put up much of a fight) are quite common in mangrove areas of North Queensland. Swimmers at beaches have been mauled by them etc. I'd think that such an exhibit would include mangroves, salt water - all within the spirit of the sea. Perhaps not the bush/outback environment you see in Crocodile Hunter episodes. 'Shark Bay' sounded like an interesting concept. Perhaps Mr Menzies couldn't get ahold of that White Shark that he was allegedly hoping for. If there's one thing I'd like to see happen at Sea World, and that's the boardwalk project they had on the boards years ago. Over on the west side of the park, behind the water park. It'd involve reclaiming some more land on that side, and building out over the water, but I'd probably say that Sea World could get the permission to do it without too much trouble. Though I doubt it'll ever happen.

yeah I understand that but I still don't think it really fits in with dolphines and seals :? But i'm sure SW would do a good job of it anyway. I am also intrested in this shark thing? tell me more... It sounds great anyway. SO the board walk would actualy go out over the sea and you would have exhibits out there? Intersting What about if they had like an under water glass passage way like Under water world that you walked through and viewed the animals. They could even just have one these going under one of the dolphin pools. Anyway And I forgot to say welcome Seaboi :D Shaun

From looking at some of the concept art, Shark bay was to be a 4 meter deep pool, in some parts themed to a reef, and another section which was meant to house a great white. Presumably not getting the right species of shark has something to do with that going project going down the toilet. Seal Rocks was to be a new seal enclosure where the Thrillseeker used to be, with 2 primary pools and one nursery pool, each with underwater viewing on the side closest to the flume ride. The area was meant to include (among other things) a wave pool, different textures for the seals (wood, sand, loose rocks) improved drainage compared to the old enclosure, and environmental enrichment controls, similar to those found at Polar Bear Shores. The story I'm hearing most these days is that Shark Bay and/or Seal Rocks have been canned, and a crocodile enclosure will be built instead (possibly by Easter). The sea connection is that Salt Water Crocs have actually been seen quite a distance out too sea (60kms or something outrageous like that), and I get the feeling that Seaworld will milk that for all its worth. As for the Broadwalk, project name was 'Seaworld Wharf' and was due to be built next to main monorail station. There's some great colour concept drawings in the 1987 Seaworld Property Trust prospectus which is available for viewing in the 'Local Area Library' in Southport. For all those people not able to make it to Southport, here's a scanned version of a photocopy http://www.geocities.com/doza35au/History2.html Seaboi, welcome to Total Thrills, and I congratulate you on being able to hear that full sentence. Where I was sitting everyone was talking and I was only able to get the word 'Crikey!'

• 2 weeks later...
...as peg markings can be seen behind the monorail station.
Just curious mate, where abouts are the pegs? Closer to the station or the road? Weren't the crocs meant to be next door to PBS? Are you sure the pegs aren't from the thrillseeker storage or stuff that's been leftover from the monorail rehab? Wow, I ask to many questions, I'm too nosy for my own good :?

Hi Joz, Not sure, i got the info from an ops member, who said they were there and by the way he was talking sounded like he knew what he was talking about. However even if the crocs were to be next to PBS, to hold 60+ crocs would mean it would have to up behind the mid mono station. Im gona have to go and take a look for myself though. Any other news on Seal Rock?

Not sure on the status of Seal Rocks, my understanding was that it was canned when it became apparent that it wasn't going to be ready for Xmas. Though I'm not sure, since I doubt the crocs will be built onto the old thrillseeker site. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only shark bay that got the chop, though I could be wrong. Since there were already plans for how they were going to expand cartoon beach (apparently) I would be thinking that something is going to happen sooner or later.

• 2 months later...

In what can be described only as a victory for common sense, Seaworld has decided that the crocodile thing has been done to death, since in the local area, Dreamworld, Aussie Zoo, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary & Fleas' Fauna already have crocodile exhibits. That's right folks, word off the street is that the Crocodile project has been given the chop!!! So what now? Well the word I'm hearing is that Shark Bay and Seal Rocks are back on the agenda, and one or both attractions will be open by September (although I'd like to make a bet on that date getting pushed back :rolleyes: ).

• 2 weeks later...

Very good to hear. They've really come out of nowhere with this latest news. I mean, there was speculation and rumours, but most of the talk ended a few weeks ago with the news that they'd cancelled all their current projects. Let's see this Shark Bay go ahead! I'm quite eager to see the Great White that they've had lined up all this time. :) Flea, be sure to post some of your photos in the album.

be sure to look out for new pics in 2-3 weeks! :)
Look forward to seeing the photos Flea :D In the meantime, I have a couple of photos showing where the new enclosure will be built http://www.totalthrills.com/forums/album_p...c.php?pic_id=16 http://www.totalthrills.com/forums/album_p...c.php?pic_id=15 So far, this garden/picnic area has been removed, and looks as though it takes up about 2/3rds of the land between Polar Bear Shores and the Waterpark.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope the new attraction has "sharks with fricken laser beams attach to there heads" involved
Well, as reasonable request as this is :rolleyes: I can't see it happening, but you never know.... Just a few quick points, the sharks involved will probably not be the great whites we were originally promised. The most successful Great White in captivity only lived for 9 months, and it costed $750,000 to keep it alive for that long. The sharks involved are confirmed (well, kinda) to be around the 8 foot mark, and probably be a combination of grey nurses and Bull sharks (like those found in Gold Coast cannels) as these two species are relatively safe to go scuba diving with. The area is also to have a touch pool, where kids can touch different (safe) sea animals. Groundwork is continuing, so far a small bird rehabilitation building has been demolished (the building was holding Owls from Movieworld. The birds have since been taken back to Movieworld) and thats pretty much all I can report. In other news, it appears that the new Seal Enclosure will go ahead on the site of the old Thrillseeker. Apparently Seaworld is very interested in expanding Cartoon Beach, and moving 'the Rock' out of the way is the first step in achieving this.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippie for updates! A few features of the new "Shark Bay" have been made more readily avalible, and I thought I'd share some of the 'Key Elements' :D * Touch pool with water overflowing into 'inter-tidal' zone, home to smaller (sting)ray species, which in turn flows into the 'Reef Lagoon' * The ability to walk around the top of both the 'Reef Lagoon' and main Large shark pool (60meters long). * The two pools (Reef Lagoon, large shark pool) will be seperated by acrylic. This will greatly enhance planned Interactive programs, as divers in the "Reef Lagoon" will feel like they are in the same tank as the large sharks. In other news from the park, Seaworld has welcomed yet another baby dolphin into the world on March 10 with Kiama (Pronounced 'Kee-arr-ma'). Both baby and mother (Stormy) are doig well, and Kiama is expected to begin training in around 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Joz, received a few wild e-mails about a possible Wicked Twister style ride to be built at the park within the next two years. Are you able to shead any light on this for us. The rumor puts the ride along the road on the same side of the park, or a wild one with the ride built outside the main entry with a walkway from inside the park for the entry. While this would be great for the park, I don't think that these ones are true.

Best I can tell, after Shark Bay, the next attractions will be Seal Rocks (On old thrillseeker site), then a new attraction for cartoon beach. I know the park is keen on building a new ride (Scooby Doo is rumoured to have originally been intended for Seaworld) near the corkscrew. I'm also aware that on park surveys, the option of a Roller Coaster is included as one of preferred future attractions. As for the two locations, well, along that far road is somewhat doubtful, since there is currently a new emergency generator (In case of blackouts) next to the Pirate Ship. Besides that, there is a park service road, and Monorail track to contend with. They could build over the lake, but I'm honestly not sure if that would leave enough room for the ski show boats to turn around. As for out the front of the park, well there were rumours years ago about the park expanding out around the back of the carpark. For some reason (probably because someone just made it up) that rumour vanished, and the plan was to build an outback themed theatre restaurant on the land, however that plan was scraped due to a native title claim. From what I can gather, it doesn't look likley, but it does sound like a good idea :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Joz, the rumor mill from OS is still claiming that an Australian park is looking for a wicked twister style coaster to be built here by the end of next year. No park was mentioned, but I am hoping to find it going to either Sea World or Movie World. Will check with Rabid but Sea World would be my choice of destination for this ride as stated above. Any where else that you can think of for this project to be built?

I see a impulse as a great space saving coaster and they are a bit cheaper then full circut coasters. It would be great for Seaworld as it would fit nicely down the side of corkscrew. But it would also be a good theme for the 3rd Matrix movie at MovieWorld as it is a lauch coaster, (paint black, and have black tunnel station with green lights along bottom section). I will keep my eyes open anyway ;) heres a photo of a impulse to get a idea of what we are on about (I will be riding this at SFMW in a month and a bit)