New Attraction

seaboi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems some things are more news worthy then others. The RSPCA has said that the sharks don't appear stressed and were in a good condition. The RSPCA has not given Seaworld any flack about the condition of the sharks, even after making first hand inspections. Don't forget as well, these sharks are still recovering from injuries they received when they were caught by a commercial fisherman. Without Seaworld, these sharks would have killed, finned & filleted and would have become someone's dinner. The thing you have to remember is that this current controversy comes from the same people who before Dolphin Cove was built, said that the exhibit was not fit for Dolphins as the land was 'unsuitable'. Since then the Dolphins who call Dolphin Cove home have been conformable enough to breed, and Dolphin Cove has been proven as an excellent enclosure. These are also the same people who said that it was inhuman to bring Polar Bears to the Gold Coast. Since then adult bears Ping Ping and Kanook are the happiest, and in the best condition they've been in, and cubs Lia and Lutik are healthy, and show no behavioural problems. Greenies love having a go at Seaworld. Back in the early 90's there was a huge protest against Seaworld keeping animals in captivity, and Ray Martin was there, joining in with the protests against Seaworld. Months later, he went for a swim with the dolphins on TV and said it was wonderful and encouraged everyone to come to do it.

As joz suggested, it's all been blown out of proportion by the media. The greenies are making a fuss because they can. Bringing this back on track, the latest issue of Warner Village Theme Parks' quarterly publication has some nice information about Shark Bay. There was nothing really new in the article - everything said was said here months before the attraction was even announced, but now at least everything's confirmed. The Planet SOS film is also coming in September, as rabid said many months ago. To be honest, it sounds like just about any other glamourous documentary - too short and too fancy to provide any real facts or anything. I'm sure many would have preferred Haunted Lighthouse (myself included - who'll see it soon :)), but I'm guessing this might have been a cheaper option that is more marketable with Sea World's environmental focus.

Fact: Infected eye caused by commercial fishing Fact: RSPCA has no problem with the sharks Fact: The people still appearing in the media to condemn Seaworld are those who have not yet made an inspection of the park. Don't know if the park really has to "get out" of this one really. I'm looking forward to this new 3D movie. Steve Peet has been talking it up as if its the best 3D film ever (not surprising), even going so far as to say it will be an "Absolute Sensation". So I'm keen to see it out of morbid curiosity more then anything else.

Sea World decided last week to release their four metre Tiger Shark. They don't state any reasons in the release, other than that they're doing it. I assume it went ahead - they weren't totally clear on the weather for Friday, when it was scheduled. I'm guessing that they're primarily doing it to keep certain circles happy. It's clearly as a result of the media backlash (who will be there come December, smiling as they read the weather, stating how fabulous Shark Bay is), but I'm doubting that it had much to do with the RSPCA.