Blacking out

alex_1

I rode superman twice on Monday, both times in the back seat and both times I greyed out for a couple of seconds on the first turn into the camelback. Nothing major, but it surprised me as I've ridden superman a few times in the front and middle of the train and never had that problem. Back seat does seem to be more intense, as well as a bit more rough. I feel a bit embarrassed about it as I know superman isn't exactly the most intense ride, so I wouldn't stand a chance on some of the rides in America, namely Intimidator 305. It may have been because I was dehydrated that day or maybe I'm just pathetic. Have you ever blacked out / greyed out on a ride?

Front right seat of superman. Looking straight down to the right, as we crest the hill suddenly looked up then down to the left. Started to see black spots closing in from either side of my eyes. Only ever happened once. Never had any issues with the overseas coasters. I probably had bad blood pressure or something

I have the same problem the further back I go on the train. I think it's the sudden change in force - I think it goes from 4.2g to -1g in that section. The only reason I could think going further back in the train would alter that is simply the speed that it passes different track sections at. For example, going down after the top hat, the front moves slowly, whereas the back moves quicker as the front is 'pulling' it down.

Yeah I hate that feeling and it has happened to me. I think some people are most susceptible to it than others. I also experience motion sickness which is why I prefer 'fun' rides as opposed to really intense G-force rides. The 2 coasters that made me partially black out were the Backlot Stunt Coaster at Canada's Wonderland (but apart from that brief section where it occurred, I actually liked the ride) and Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Edited by GoGoBoy

I black out on Superman back carriage just after the first turn and usually come back around just after going through the building, Lethal Weapon going into the half loop front row only and come to during the camel back after the twists, Cyclone (front carriage) going into the half loop and come to during the braking section. I also used to black out on the Thunderbolt coming out of the second loop. Cant go on the Reef Diver or whatever they call it now. Blacked out once and didn't come to quickly so they had to e-stop the ride and I came to as we were almost fully lowered. Can't do The Claw for a similar reason.

I have had it happened a few times. The hulk at Universal Orlando and Viper at Six flags Magic Mountain. It just happens sometimes. It could be alot of factors. Nothing to be embarassed about.

Yes, the Hulk! I forgot about that one. I know it's pretty popular but I found it to be a really nasty coaster. Waaay too forceful for my liking. Much preferred the Duelling Dragons coaster in the Harry Potter area. It was intense but bearable

I passed out completely on Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure... i was on a TPR trip so i was exhausted and dehydrated from days of partying and no sleep. We had a really short amount of ERT ahead of the public which actually made it worse! We got sent once and i greyed out over the crest of the tower... Once we came back into the station the general public were all running to queue as the park had opened. The op came over the loud speaker and said they would send us one more time, so our harnesses were all re-checked and BOOM! I passed out as we rushed along the launch and my mate next to me said i was dead weight flying through the crest, which looked hilarious, like a rag doll! I came too just as the coaster was leaving the end of the top hat.... all i could see was the curve of the track and the ground. It was one of the most terrifying things i have experienced... when i was coming too i had no idea where i was. I am said that i wasted my bonus 2nd ride on Kinda Ka!

Edited by qldtaw

• 4 weeks later...

those of you that black out, apart from doing things to try to be more healthy (eating healthier and exercising) should try tensing the lower part of your body (abs and legs) hard at those places on the ride where you black out. it means less blood moves to the lower part of your body, meaning more blood for your head so you don't black out.

Funnily enough I've had this experience on Sea Viper in the back row through the vertical loop. My vision kind of blurred and I started to see black spots closing in from either side of my eyes. I didn't mind it, just took me by surprise. It happened multiple times during my last visit; wasn't just a once off.

I don't think it is while climbing vertically that you tend to black out, but rather during either negative Gs, or a rapid change from positive to negative Gs. I haven't blacked out on SE, but did have an experience with blackouts at Knott's. At the start of the day I didn't blackout on anything, but after a full day of riding coasters nonstop (and I mean nonstop, everything was a walk on all day) I started blacking out, at first just on Silver Bullet, but then increasingly on others too. So, don't know that my blood pressure would've risen or deteriorated during the course of the day, but perhaps fatigue can contribute? Just thought I'd share incase it eluded to other possible causes...

Its is mostly when you hit the bottom of a hill, just like the end of the top hat for superman. The front also experience's similar g's on that though, but instead of at the end its at the start. The back will also experienced g's at the top when the front is already going down but it is still going up, so it get pulled over the top at a higher speed. That is also why I said to try and sit in the middle.