Aussie World January Visit

Jobe

I thought i would take the opportunity to post a brief trip report of our recent visit to Aussie World. Having never been there before, I was not sure what to expect!! Let me say I was quite surprised by what we found. Here was a small yet very neat and compact park!! The new additions have really fleshed out the offering and are great!! We visited on a Saturday and I expected the park to be busier than what it was-about 1100 people visited the park that day, according to one ride operator. This meant that queues were very short indeed and this was bliss for the kids after the madness of Movieworld 2 days previously. The Plunge is a fairly well themed and presented ride and was very popular during the course of the day. I think someone on the forums said it was second hand? -if so then Aussie World have really surpassed themselves with how good the ride was looking!! Plenty of re-rides on this erased the horror of an hour and half wait for Wild West Falls from the kids minds!! post-30-0-69069600-1327401223_thumb.jpg post-30-0-73632000-1327402158_thumb.jpg post-30-0-99416400-1327402367_thumb.jpg The Redback is also a extremely good looking ride. This is how a Disk 'O" should appear!! ( Dreamworld I am looking at YOU!) The ride program was excellent and it was not suprising to learn that these 2 rides were amongst the best patroned all day. post-30-0-78970600-1327401591_thumb.jpg post-30-0-21654600-1327401898_thumb.jpg THe Wild Mouse at Aussie World is an exact copy of the one at Luna Park Sydney. It was running ok but there is one vital difference between the 2. LPS Wild Mouse cars are configured for 2 people to ride whereas Aussie World's only a single person may ride. The cars themselves are not in as good condition as LPS's either and on the whole, I prefer LPS model over Aussie Worlds. Still an enjoyable ride though!! post-30-0-16550300-1327401136_thumb.jpg The Octopus was an interesting ride. This originally had its genesis in the early 80"s incarnation of LPS and was retained by the park until the removal of The BIg Dipper in 2001, whereby it was inexplicably sold to Aussie World. Here it has found a new lease of life and is a very enjoyable ride. I originally thought that this was a Schawrzchkopf Polyp but it was actually made by an Italian company. post-30-0-42874500-1327402049_thumb.jpg The Swinging Ship found in Aussie World originally came from Myer in Brisbane and whilst smaller than other similar models I have been on, was quite fun. The height restrictions are quite good on this ride and allowed both my 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter to both ride. post-30-0-27238700-1327401480_thumb.jpg. The rest of the rides , The Mozzie Muster ( Tilt - A- Whirl), Booma Zooma (Flying Chairs) , Rock "n Roll Rebel (Tango ride in the dark) are all extremely well appointed and very well maintained rides. The large Ferris Wheel dominates the skyline and provides great views all the way to Caloundra post-30-0-68836700-1327402998_thumb.jpg It was also heartwarming to see the Giant Slide from the Royal Easter show having found a home. Simple fun but one many families on the day were quick to enjoy!! post-30-0-34555700-1327401706_thumb.jpg All in all, Aussie World was a great day out and really gave excellent value. We arrived at 10:30am and entance to the park cost us $99 for a family pass of 4. We stayed for the entirety of the day and then had dinner at the nearby Ettamogah Pub, where the food was excellent!! All the ride attendants were fairly young and were mostly Uni students working their way through school holidays. Overall, though, they were some of the nicest ride attendants that I have ever experienced in any park. Helpful,cheerful and nothing was too much trouble for them. They are a tremendous asset to Aussie World. In an interesting side note, I questioned several ride attendants on the parks future plans. Apparently the owners of the park wish to add a new attraction every year for five years. They have plans to put in another major ride this year, although they could not say what it was. Things are looking rosy for the park in the next couple of years,it appears!! Aussie World was a refreshing change from the Gold Coast majors. It has the capacity with some more investment in attractions to become a major player. It really is the park that Luna Park Sydney should be. ^_^

Yeah I really like Aussie World, and I'm glad it's getting such good reviews. There's no reason why it shouldn't either; It's got a pretty decent line up of rides, all the rides appear very well looked after, and the ride ops are incredibly friendly. IMHO the only thing it's missing is a big headline roller coaster, but as it is it's a great family park and I really hope they do well. I'm glad Village didn't turn the place into a water park, and I'm glad they didn't buy it and operate it. The folks at Aussie World have their stuff together run a great little park.

Yeah I really like Aussie World, and I'm glad it's getting such good reviews. There's no reason why it shouldn't either; It's got a pretty decent line up of rides, all the rides appear very well looked after, and the ride ops are incredibly friendly. IMHO the only thing it's missing is a big headline roller coaster, but as it is it's a great family park and I really hope they do well. I'm glad Village didn't turn the place into a water park, and I'm glad they didn't buy it and operate it. The folks at Aussie World have their stuff together run a great little park.

I agree 100% Joz!! I also think it would have been a real shame if WVTP had turned it into a "Wet'N'Wild!! This park has so much atmosphere and I actually commented to my wife that it had a " Luna Park" feel to it, which to me, is quite positive!! Agree wholeheartedly about another coaster too. I think that an example of a Maurer Sohne or a Zamperla model would be ideal for this park-a good steel compact would really set this park on the map!! Especially if their expansion plans come to fruition!! They certainly have the space for it!!

I remember going on that swinging ship when it was in Tops. Memories :) Was your 4 year old able to enjoy many of the rides? I have a 3.5 year old daughter, would she get much out of a day trip there for the price?

It really depends on how tall your daughter is. If she is 100cm or more (which my daughter just cleared) then she was able to go on all the kids rides ( there are 4 in the park) plus The Swinging Ship, The Mozzie Muster (Tilt-A -Whirl) The Boomer Zoomer ( Flying Chairs) , The Plunge ( accompanied by an adult), The Giant slide ( accompanied by an adult) , The Dodgems (accompanied by an adult ) plus the Voyager Simulator and The Bizzy Buggies. And also with the price of admission comes a game of Putt Putt Golf which is nice little course!! Great value in my opinion!! Hope this helps!!

Really looking forward to watching the park expand. I think 2 things it needs are a real thrilling flat ride, something like a Top Spin or a Power Surge. The second thing would be a compact coaster as many have said, a spinning coaster would be good if they want to go for the family market, and a Gerstlauer Eurofighter 320 would be great for the thrill market.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a "Big Fun" go in. This seems the ideal sort of park for one. Plus it would give something unique coaster wise the Gold Coast parks don't have.

Agreed 100%!! A Big Fun coaster by GCI would be absolutely ideal the- only stumbling block it would appear, would be the price!! I think an example of one of these awesome coasters would be out of reach of Aussie World to install and I think they would rather spread out their budget over a period of time, adding in several attractions rather than just one. Remember this is a park that WANTS to grow and understands that to do this they must enhance and ADD to their overall ride line up. A philosophy that the Luna Parks and certain Gold Coast theme parks should try adopting eh? :D

Scrolling round Wiki yesterday and i came across something at the bottom stating:

Interesting. I doubt the validity of the first statement however. When i was there in early January, there was no signs of any work or activity in the park on this "Australian Themed playground" whatsoever. Moreover, after questioning several ride ops throughout the day, not one mentioned a playground as a new attraction at any time. Now I know that ride ops are not the most reliable source of information, but given the time frames, it would be reasonable to assume that if this was going into the park by February, then it would be fairly common knowledge. Of course thats not saying it is not going to happen at some stage , but by next month?? Extremely doubtful. The second statement appears to be in line with what several ride ops relayed to me - the next attraction willl be another thrill ride and the $1 million budget should accomodate this. ;)

I reported it first :P None of the news on wiki is new information except it opening in February.

Interesting..POP where did you hear this info?? A playground type attraction would be ideal for Aussie World. I seriously doubt the February open date but it COULD still be possible I suppose for an end of Feb launch. More likely if its going to go ahead it will be added sometime later this year. Somewhere close to the Giant slide would be ideal- Aussie World owns most of the surrounding land and has plenty of room for future expansion.

Yep, I'm definitely excited now after hearing they're going to add 1 ride a year for the next 5 yrs with a THRILL ride going in this year :D :D I hope they keep aiming for older demographics now because the park used to be targeted to young kids but it needs the lucrative teenage/young adult market too if its going to succeed.

Went to AW yesterday it was a very slow day for the park. There was only about 20 people in the park. They had 3 ride staff on so all you needed to do was pick the ride you wanted to go on and they started it up. The was very clean and tidy. They are look for a ride that goes up side down as the new ride this year.

Went to AW yesterday it was a very slow day for the park. There was only about 20 people in the park. They had 3 ride staff on so all you needed to do was pick the ride you wanted to go on and they started it up. The was very clean and tidy. They are look for a ride that goes up side down as the new ride this year.

Yeah that was mentioned by the ride staff as well to me. This could mean any number of rides but I am hoping for something that is unique. In all probability it could mean a Powersurge...or a similar ride from Zamperla's lineup. Aussie World seems to be cultivating a good relationship with the company after the installation of The Redback. Sounds very promising though!

Playgrounds are very....six-flags ish. Not sure it's going to be much of a drawcard so don't know why they'd bother, plus they will need to have someone watching it at ALL times because if someone breaks their leg or arm, they will be held accountable.

Oh I dont know. A well themed playground would fit in extremely well with their target demographic..families. I think it would be a hit and would be a well received attraction. It also shows to the public that the park is continually growing and expanding, which , in the scheme of things,is very important.

If it is a Zamperla, let's hope they go for a Power Surge or even (though this may be tricky) a Zamperla Discovery. I'm hoping with some expansions, Aussie World could become a really great classic amusement park like Knoebels in USA (though not quite as good as that lol)

Please not a Powersurge. Rode one for the first time in Luna Park Melbourne last month and it was horrible. One problem was the ride went on and on and on and on and on. Secondly it painful for men. It throws you straight towards the ground face first then suddenly stops forcing your body down and its like the seat was made to induce pain.

That's interesting, I had a completely different experience when I rode the one in Melbourne last month. I thought it was great, but it DOES go on a bit, to the point where it becomes unexciting (I won't say boring). But I experienced no pain, and that's coming from a person who finds Scooby Doo rough...

• 1 month later...

Sorry for digging up a somewhat old thread but i finally got my arse to Aussie World to ride the plunge and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Plunge was intregated into the park. Its a very attractive and fairly well themed ride, and on one of my rides on it I got absolutely DRENCHED. I really enjoyed it and will go as far as saying its Australias second best operating flume ride, after Wild West Falls (despite its small sizeI actually preferred it to Vikings Revenge and Rocky Hollow Log Ride)

Edited by alex_1