Queensland the Sunshine state... where it rains a lot

GoGoBoy

Just saw an update on Movie World's facebook page saying that both MW and WnW will be closed today due to localised flooding! Unbelievable!! I've never heard of this happening before. BUT it does seem to be raining on the Gold Coast a lot lately. I mean, think of all the discussions we've had over the years about delays to various attractions etc. due to heavy rain. And I notice frequent comments on their fb pages from people asking whether certain rides will be open in the rain. What happened to the sunny Gold Coast?

Apparently it has just poured up there! I have friends who work at WnW and just saw they got the call to tell them they were closed and saw on FB MW and WnW will be too. I've seen someone say that the water has covered the WnW entrance and the middle car park is and the water is rising fast. Geez you guys must have had some rain. SW just announced they will be open, but to keep checking back for further updates!

I recall this may have happened a few years back but I can't recall exactly when. I do know Oakey Creek at Dreamworld flooded one year during the production of Big Brother resulting in boats being required for stuff to be shuttled across - I don't think the park was closed though. From midnight last night, the Gold Coast Seaway (near Sea World) had 130mm of rain. Coolangatta had about 110mm. Edit: djrappa you are right. Below is an article from 2005:

Storms lashing Australia's east coast have forced the evacuation of thousands of people and the closure of the Gold Coast airport and nearby tourist attractions. Queensland state's popular Gold Coast tourist centre and the nearby northern region of New South Wales state bore the brunt of the storms, with 400-500mm of rainfall in 24 hours. Flash floods forced the closure of the Gold Coast airport, which is an important destination for Asian tourists, and the major highway servicing northern NSW. Popular attractions including Dreamworld, Sea World, Movie World and Wet and Wild were also closed, while the Gold Coast Hospital cancelled all elective procedures because only half of its staff had been able to make it to work. [...]

http://www.forbes.co...afx2117430.html Edited by themeparkgc