Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Article

mba2012

It's worth pointing out that the topic posted is old, and since that time Scooby is pretty much back to being as good as it ever was. Occasionally a laser isn't on, but that was true when the ride first opened too. For me the biggest issue with Scooby is how much light leaks in through the cracks in the emergency exit doors; the ride and the all effects are in good working order, and when stuff breaks it gets fixed.

I had to go have a look today; the smoke was a good level, however, there are 3 lasers (the green one by the lift, the turntable laser and the one diagonally opposite the lift) that were static. That left the green laser by the spider which is pointing into the bottom half of the ride, and a duller, red laser in the top half. I think the reason you said the smoke wasn't at the top was because the lasers weren't working effectively, because I thought the smoke was spot on the money. With a couple of small exceptions, everything except those 3 lasers were perfect.

I don't think the article is far from correct. Like most of our well themed attractions, some thematic elements aren't always at the top of their game. MW had allowed scooby to deteriorate greatly - as evidenced by the thread linked to above... but it seems the powers that be were paying attention to that thread, and an overhaul occurred soon after. I think the multi-coloured lasers certainly take the ride closer to the 'kaleidoscope of colour' that was heralded when it first opened. I think the major issues to be resolved for that ride are: An effective method of distributing smoke throughout the room, and keeping it that way, despite the numerous draughts and holes in the wall - i'm not sure what they're using, but stage fazers seem to keep venues like the entertainment centre well covered. The other thing they need is a programmed laser. The lasers originally installed were programed to strike the mirrors mounted on the far sides of the building. This took one beam and split it several times. The mirrors were strategically spaced to cover the entire track, and worked well. The multicoloured laser has potential - but i think it's current 'random' program works fine - they just need another laser to make use of those mirrors to really 'fill' the room.

I was there yesterday afternoon, the smoke was honestly spot on. The problem was that the lasers for the top half of the ride weren't working properly (just a static beam) and no amount of smoke will fix that, and the red laser is just too dull to have an impact. I don't mind if rides have an off day, but despite 3 lasers not working properly yesterday, Scooby Doo has come a long, long way from a couple of years back. Since I'm talking about this, I feel the need to say the laser on the eastern wall focusing on the lower portion of the ride is a really cool effect and I hope it stays like that.