Bring A Universal Studios To Australia!

daltma10

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can't really judge any attendance based on our current parks for two reasons. 1. They are restricting there attendance due to their small size. As mostly seen at Movieworld the small size of our parks limits the number of people who can or even will attend that day. 2. The parks are not big enough or even that attractive (brand names) to many international tourists. For example many tourists overseas would not even know about Dreamworld when they visit Australia. When tourists visit the US, Singapore most of them know about the parks due to them being known around the world. The Universal brand name is a trusted Theme Park name, so people know what they expect but if someone mentioned Dreamworld they wouldn't know what to expect. Another fact about the Gold Coast parks is that they don't really give the best feeling to make you want to come back time after time after time. So you never know a big brand theme park attendance may be completely different to what we are used to here. Even look at the fact that Disney has said they have had interests in building her but have had bigger priorities at the time (Shanghai).

Edited by Cruiseshipfan

plus if there is a Universal Studios in Australia it could also boom the film industry for Australia. Just a suggestion.

I think we've got a glut of Studios in Aus as it is. Fox, Docklands and Village all run them, and they aren't exactly packed out. It's just too expensive to film here anymore, and govt subsidies are what props it up. If Universal came here, it should be the USS/USJ model...Just movie themed rides, no working studios.

The parks are not big enough or even that attractive (brand names) to many international tourists. For example many tourists overseas would not even know about Dreamworld when they visit Australia.

A considerable number of overseas visitors visit the Gold Coast parks, I dont know the stats for VRTP but you would be surprised at the % of overseas dreamworld visitors and their average in park spend.

If Universal came here, it should be the USS/USJ model...Just movie themed rides, no working studios.

Having been to USH and USO I agree, dont see it likely happening any time soon. Edited by One day holiday

A considerable number of overseas visitors visit the Gold Coast parks, I dont know the stats for VRTP but you would be surprised at the % of overseas dreamworld visitors and their average in park spend.

Yes its a big number but its nothing, compared to what a major brand could bring in. Edited by Cruiseshipfan

I suspect (and would be confident putting a large sum of money on it) that for most international tourists, the parks are something they just do since they're here, and not a motivating factor that brings them here. The only people who come to Australia for the parks in any significant numbers are New Zealanders. Even so last I saw the number of international guests is about 10% which while still significant, isn't a huge number. Also given there are Disney parks in LA, Hong Kong and Japan, and Universal parks in LA Japan and singapore I don't think the international numbers at any Australian Disney or Universal would be that high either. They'd still probably pull 2mil in the first year but I reckon it'd be mostly locals.

I don't ever see a major park like Universal setting up shop in Australia. Leading international markets for the parks are Japan, China, Middle East and NZ. With Universal studios popping up all over Asia this takes away a couple of our biggest markets, and I just can't see that visitor numbers would be enough to warrant a park of that calibre. I could be wrong, I did swear black and blue that big brother would never return to Dreamworld ! Haha

Guest JacobSibbald

In the past I have messaged or sent an enquiry to Disney about bringing a park down here. They replied with something along the lines of, 'Thank-you for you thoughts but we are investing in updating our current parks and putting them in higher priority than new projects.' Then about a year later, Disney announced Shanghai. I know the population of Asia is extremely higher than Australia but placing it within a couple of hours flying time between Hong Kong and Japan is unfair. I know Hong Kong is a rather small park, but I don't think disney have any consideration for Australia, other than a couple of attractions and a movie. As for Universal, you could always give it a shot and try to get in contact with them, Disney replied. If Disney and Universal both invested in parks here the visitor numbers would be quite strong. A lot of people long to go to Disneyland but cannot afford it, but placing one here would get millions of visitors. I know it is far but there is no reason that if they are placed close together, 10 million local and international visitors could come. If Disney got their planning right, Disneyland (Melbourne, Sydney or Gold Coast, the latter of which I doubt) could become one of their most successful parks. I know this is an extremely long comment but I am very passionate about the idea of a major park coming here. Even Six Flags would settle me down, well not really. Thanks Jacob :)

Edited by JacobSibbald

In the past I have messaged or sent an enquiry to Disney about bringing a park down here. They replied with something along the lines of, 'Thank-you for you thoughts but we are investing in updating our current parks and putting them in higher priority than new projects.' Then about a year later, Disney announced Shanghai. I know the population of Asia is extremely higher than Australia but placing it within a couple of hours flying time between Hong Kong and Japan is unfair. I know Hong Kong is a rather small park, but I don't think disney have any consideration for Australia, other than a couple of attractions and a movie. As for Universal, you could always give it a shot and try to get in contact with them, Disney replied. If Disney and Universal both invested in parks here the visitor numbers would be quite strong. A lot of people long to go to Disneyland but cannot afford it, but placing one here would get millions of visitors. I know it is far but there is no reason that if they are placed close together, 10 million local and international visitors could come. If Disney got their planning right, Disneyland (Melbourne, Sydney or Gold Coast, the latter of which I doubt) could become one of their most successful parks. I know this is an extremely long comment but I am very passionate about the idea of a major park coming here. Even Six Flags would settle me down, well not really. Thanks Jacob :)

Unfortunately it's just not feasible for a park similar to Disneyland or Universal to open in Australia. That situation may change in another 20yrs, but it just wont happen. Disneyland has more visitors annually than Australia has international tourists. Hong Kong Disneyland is located within a few hours of over 1 billion people. To successfully open a park of Disney proportions, I'd say we'd need a population of at least 50 million people to sustain it, and a massive increase in international visitation

And even with 50 million its not a sure thing....Disneyland Paris has much of Western Europe within flying/High Speed Rail distance, and it underperformed for years. Disney aren't stupid, and I'm sure they have run the numbers on enough potential places to have a fair idea on what the best prospects are. I reckon the first big international park we'll see here would be Merlin opening a Legoland in Sydney.

Edited by Gazza

And even with 50 million its not a sure thing....Disneyland Paris has much of Western Europe within flying/High Speed Rail distance, and it underperformed for years. Disney aren't stupid.

Well actually it was there own fault that the park was failing. So it terms yes they were stupid. I have read many thing over the years about Disneyland Paris and it failure due to Disney Management. Firstly: The Parks name at one stage was Euro Disney. By using Euro out the front it sounds too much like money, due to the currency being Euro. (Opinions of some Europeans in a report I read some years ago. Secondly: The park had nothing that was unique and with WDW a short plane trip away, with a lot more rides and attractions. Therefore why Disney had to have the huge expansions to give people a reason to visit. A better park to give an example of is Disneyland Hong Kong. It is in a country with over a billion people, which also neighbours the second biggest nation has been a massive failure, leading Disney to again make a huge expansion. Disney haven't opened a successful park or resort since Walt Disney's final piece of work, WDW/Magic Kingdom. Before anyone says Disneyland in Toyko. The park isn't run by Disney. I don;t have much faith in the current Disney management, who seem to have forgot the Disney feel for things in recent years. Just like California Adventure which went against Walt Disney's reason for building Disneyland, (to make a park that was not like a regular board walk amusement park).

Firstly: The Parks name at one stage was Euro Disney. By using Euro out the front it sounds too much like money, due to the currency being Euro. (Opinions of some Europeans in a report I read some .

Ummm... Euro Disney opened in 1992. The Euro was not even called the euro until 1995 and then not introduced til 1999 (in only eleven countries). It wasn't til 2002 that the Euro became more widely used. The report u read was full of shit. End of off topic clarification

Guest JacobSibbald

Maybe someone needs to talk to the Ballieau Government in Victoria. After all they are all for expansion and tourism, with planning permission ahead for Australia's third largest building. If the African Safari Park was reintroduced to the new Liberal Government something actually might happen. Universal and Paramount and WV should be seeking the side of the new Government.

Ummm... Euro Disney opened in 1992. The Euro was not even called the euro until 1995 and then not introduced til 1999 (in only eleven countries). It wasn't til 2002 that the Euro became more widely used. The report u read was full of shit. End of off topic clarification

Yes I know that. It was just something I read ages ago and thought I should include it. Also Disney themselves have said that they are looking into building in Australia but are looking to go into another market first. An email I recieved a few years ago stated, that Disney is looking into locations in Australia, although we are currently focusing our attention on another market first. A few weeks after I got the email Shanghai Disneyland was announced. Edited by Cruiseshipfan

Just my take, but in terms of getting governments to fund theme parks, I reckon that's an incorrect use tof taxpayers dollars. The most a Govt should have to do is perhaps assist with local transport upgrades if a 3rd party decides to do a park. I lived in Vic till about 4 years ago, and there are far more pressing things for the state to be building and doing.

Guest JacobSibbald

^ Gazza I wasn't referring to the Government providing the funds for the park. The park needs planning approval before construction begins doesn't it !? Yes, they do need to upgrade some areas of the transport system but if the Government wants more visitors, they need a major tourist drawcard like Universal or African Safari World.

Just my take, but in terms of getting governments to fund theme parks, I reckon that's an incorrect use tof taxpayers dollars. The most a Govt should have to do is perhaps assist with local transport upgrades if a 3rd party decides to do a park. I lived in Vic till about 4 years ago, and there are far more pressing things for the state to be building and doing.

If a feasibility study was conducted that showed marked growth in tourism dollars and employment for the local community I wouldn't mind state/ fed govt contributing, in part. But I do agree there are a lot more pressing issues in the community right now. Maybe we can have a Disneyland tax. At least we could get some fun out of the money. In saying that on the gold coast now, the government won't even pay to upgrade the roads in order for the long awaiting Coomera Town Centre to open which would employ over 600 people and pour millions into the local economy annually - they want Westfields to pay for it. So chances of them financing in part a theme park are extremely unlikely

I lived in Vic till about 4 years ago, and there are far more pressing things for the state to be building and doing.

Yeah.... agreed. As much as I wanted the park to go ahead, at the time there were A LOT of other issues and projects that needed to be seen before they funded a themepark project. The public transport network at the time was pretty bad (still isn't the perfect now...but it is much better), and most of the public were up in arms about their Tax being spent on an 'amusement park'. Zoo's Victoria were another unhappy camper; being well and truly against the whole merger of animals and rollercoasters. And thus the project was dumped.....Unfortunately, Melbourne is a state that is more concerned about culture, music, sport. The lack of themed entertainment/amusement parks doesn't phase the general public much. Luna Park, Adventure park, Funfields and the show seems to do it for most people down here :\

Another point I think is that the running costs in terms of staffing would be much greater here in Australia compared with that of the US parks, where their minimum wage is basically half that of ours. Same goes for the Asian parks in terms of staffing costs. Plus the Australian Dollar is strong at the moment which deters international visitors and encourages us to visit overseas loactions. Basically international guests wouldn't pay double to visit Disneyland/Universal here when they can get the same or better in there own backyard for a fraction of the price.