Sign in to follow this  
aussienetman

Dreamworld closing early today

9 posts in this topic

Dreamworld posted on Facebook this morning that due to the weather they and White Water World will be closing at 4pm today. Apart from Movieworlds flooding issues I can't remember a park closing its doors early due to weather. Is this move unprecedented? Could this be a sign of things to come for Dreamworld? Reduced trading hours during off peak times? Discuss.

Edited by aussienetman

haha... the Dreamworld facebook comments were not very happy. One guy saying it is illegal for them to close early. I find it interesting that the parks havn't done something like this before. It is a cost cutting measure, and during off peak it kind of makes sense when you can do the park in half the day. (90 minutes if its Movie World) If it's a one off then I guess the point is moot.

I was at Dreamworld one day just prior to Tower of Terror opening when a severe lightning storm hit, and struck the tower. The weather continued to worsen and they ended up closing the park around 3pm only using the train to move all guests to the entrance area.

Regarding the 4PM closure the other day I have been at the park late last year when it happend, and I am sure it has happend since. DW does closed at 4:00 on occasions as a business decision, note also the 3PM Madagascar Live was cancelled the other day. WNW also closed yesterday around 2:00ish but that was due to visibility of the lifeguards ect.

In relation to the comment about no 'parks closing early due to weather' - even Wonderland had a clause to permit it to close due to inclement weather - it even had a rain-gauge out by the front gates - if a certain amount of rain fell between 10am and 11am, they would issue everyone a free return ticket. Personally, If the weather is expected to shut down all of the attractions, why bother staying open?

From working at both parks for a good number of years not once did we close early due to rain. we only closed a couple times when the Movieworld front gate flooded. Must be global warming at work...

I was there the same day and it was fine. A bit of flooding in some parts of the park but that was just big puddles. At WWW there was a low vissability for the life guards.

Lscia8.. That's what I thought... A bit of a veiled excuse to save some money because visitors were low. Im not saying the parks shouldn't do it as long as the cost savings are spent on much needed park upgrades.