Wet 'n' Wild Sydney Construction

Guest lozzie

*Disclaimer: I know nothing about wave pools*

- Surely with the technology we have now there would be a way they could have a normal sized wave pool that has the ability to also create a surfable wave depending on the settings?

I too need to use this disclaimer! That's why I was posing the question in my earlier post. Surely it can be done.......

So does that mean that the surfable wave option has been lost or is it being incorporated into the larger wave pool?

I was working under the assumption that the largest one would be the one designed for surfing (To give surfers room to get a decent ride), and the smaller one would be for families, unless it was indicated otherwise and I've missed something?

Edited by Gazza

Votes were counted and "Boomerang Bay" was the winning name.

It's odd that Boomerang Bay was actually the original tentative name for the wave pool.

I was working under the assumption that the largest one would be the one designed for surfing (To give surfers room to get a decent ride), and the smaller one would be for families, unless it was indicated otherwise and I've missed something?

I was under the same impression. I found an article from July that states the wave pool will be the biggest in Australia and feature surfable waves. Whether that's WhiteWater World quality surfable waves, I don't know.

New member!

I have been lurking this forum for quite some time now, mainly because the new Wet'n'Wild Sydney, but I have also become quite found of the other park's discussion.

I'm actually from Sweden, and water parks is my biggest passion. My life dream is to actually open my own, Cowabunga Bay style, water park here in Sweden.

My fiancee lived in Aussie for a year working in Sydney, so this new park is my prefect excuse to do my first visit to the country and visit her friends.

Regarding the wave pool in WnW Sydney, it will be a full scale surfing pool.

This means that it is a lot bigger than regular wave pools (probably around 3 times the size of the one at WnW Gold Coast).

The size of the pool is very important for being able to produce these kinds of waves.

This is achieved by using hydraulic technology, unlike most other wave pools who use air to produce waves.

You can watch how it works here--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVTKxYT1d0

And heres another one from Spain (the pool who produce the largest waves in the world) ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-h-CxtjJF8

It will most likely also feature a pneumatic wave maker, so that it can also produce smaller family waves, but most parks who have these kind of pools only run the surf waves mode.

These kind of pools can produce waves up to 3 meters for surfing, but usually runs them at around 1.5 meters during regular operation.

To get a feeling of just how big these kind of waves can get, you can watch how high the walls are on the wave channel of this pool, that's as high as the waves will be in surf mode.

You should be feeling very lucky to be getting this pool. They are very rare to find in the world. The US only has two and there's only one here in Europe which is the one in Tenerife in the video above.

China has started to build a lot of these now, thanks to the capacity needs they have, but otherwise they are very rare.

Someone said they thought wave pools were a bit boring, and I agree that regular ones are, but I can promise you that this pool will change your mind.

The reason they scrapped to double wave pool is probably that it wouldn't really have been that useful. Most people prefer surf waves when they are available. There are currently only two double wave pools that can produce these bigger surf waves (both in China) and it's usually pretty empty in the family side.

The only downside with these is that they have to load the tanks between the waves, so you will have to wait a minute or two between them.

Here's another video, with actual guests swimming in it, also note that this is only the half wave size.--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hap-WimZS9g

Edited by _koppen

WnW Sydney:

93m long. 33m wide at the generator end, 112m at the beach end.

Typhoon Lagoon:

119m long. 40m wide at the generator end, 100m at the beach end.

Siam Park:

155m long. 34m wide at the generator end, 150m at the beach end.

Wadi Adventure Al Ain:

127m long. 35m wide at the generator end, 144m at the beach end.

Whitewater World:

67m long. 24m wide at the generator end, 67m at the beach end.

WnW Gold Coast:

66m long. 40m wide at the generator end, 60m wide at the beach end.

I reckon it'll definitley be surfable. Not a mammoth like the ones at Disney etc, but it's seems at least in the ballpark of say the one in Al Ain.

WnW Sydney:

93m long. 33m wide at the generator end, 112m at the beach end.

Typhoon Lagoon:

119m long. 40m wide at the generator end, 100m at the beach end.

Siam Park:

155m long. 34m wide at the generator end, 150m at the beach end.

Wadi Adventure Al Ain:

127m long. 35m wide at the generator end, 144m at the beach end.

Whitewater World:

67m long. 24m wide at the generator end, 67m at the beach end.

WnW Gold Coast:

66m long. 40m wide at the generator end, 60m wide at the beach end.

I reckon it'll definitley be surfable. Not a mammoth like the ones at Disney etc, but it's seems at least in the ballpark of say the one in Al Ain.

Can you measure the length of the wave pool channel, before it breaks into the beach on the Wet N Wild Sydney one?

For it to be surfable it should be 50 meter long, or close to it.

Also, there is no known manufacturer of the one in Sydney. It's not Murphy's who is the best at these pool, or Whitewater, who also has a lot of experience with these pools. My guess is for it to be the new Chinese manufacturer, which I have no idea what name it has, who did the pool at Happy Magic Beijing.

It's not confirmed, but it's very similar in the shape to that one, although the one in Beijing is larger.

The one in Beijing is a pretty good pool, but not at the same level as the other two manufacturers I mentioned, as the waves breaks down before reaching the end of the wave channel.

https://maps.google.se/maps?safe=off&q=39.883141,116.243865&ie=UTF-8&ei=239RUvWiE_Pa4QTH1YCwCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

http://s2.t.itc.cn/mblog/pic/201106_17_12/13082857623288.jpg

Edited by _koppen

Also, there is no known manufacturer of the one in Sydney. It's not Murphy's who is the best at these pool, or Whitewater, who also has a lot of experience with these pools.

How do we know it's not Murphys or WhiteWater?

I thought it looked fairly similar in shape to the one at Whitewater World, and that one is a Murphys pool.

For it to be surfable it should be 50 meter long, or close to it.

47m is what it seems to be.

How do we know it's not Murphys or WhiteWater?

I thought it looked fairly similar in shape to the one at Whitewater World, and that one is a Murphys pool.

47m is what it seems to be.

The one at Whitewater world is a pneumatic air driven wave pool, those can have pretty much any shape you want, surf pools are a bit more perfected in their shape, and that is why this one looks so odd to me.

Whitewater confirmed to me by mail that they are only doing the slides here, and I have not bothered to ask Murphy's.

Both Whitewater and Murphy's also have these, I don't know the english word for it, "square holes" that runs along the wall of the beach. Something this pool lacks. The surf pool in China I talked about earlier is built without these holes.

p2290227_1.jpg

Surf-Wave-1.jpg

Murphy's is the finest surf pools in the world and they only have two "models" of shape to chose from. (I can dig up some pictures later if you want to).

The only way this pool could be a Murphy pool is if it were a pneumatic one, but that is not likely since WnW Sydney have announced 3 meters wave.

I can't wait for videos of this pool testing starting to pop up!

Edited by _koppen

As far as I know they aren't allowed to remove the trees in the red shaded areas. My best guess is they will start expanding in the green region. They should be able to add in a decent amount of new attractions there.

vyNpJAN.jpg

EDIT: Also, is anyone able to find out if Nearmap has updated recently?

Edited by Keegs

^Looked today, no new nearmap images.

As far as I know they aren't allowed to remove the trees in the red shaded areas.

Seems spot on. That image seems somewhat misleading because the site has very few mature trees, except for in the red zones Keegz has nominated...It's all just empty land otherwise:

http://goo.gl/maps/mbcib

Unfortunately it looks like they might have settled for a regular air driven pool.

I had not seen these two pictures before, and here it looks like regular pneumatic machines, and the walls looks to not be nearly as tall as what a hydraulic surf pool require.

235528d1381098647-2013-neuheit-wet-n-wild-neuer-wasserpark-sydney-australien-6.jpg235539d1381098664-2013-neuheit-wet-n-wild-neuer-wasserpark-sydney-australien-17.jpg

Compared to a real surf pool

2012092704311827484.JPG

It's a shame since hydraulic surf pools are among the most fun you can have at a water park.

This pool will probably still be surfable, but nowhere near as good as a real surf pool.

It's really weird since they claim a 3 meter wave.

Unfortunately it looks like they might have settled for a regular air driven pool.

I had not seen these two pictures before, and here it looks like regular pneumatic machines, and the walls looks to not be nearly as tall as what a hydraulic surf pool require.

It's really weird since they claim a 3 meter wave.

I think this park might be making a few exaggerated claims. Biggest and best waterpark in the world? I'm not so sure about that. Sure, it looks like it is going to be a great park. There's no denying that. But I'm not quite sure it is the biggest and best. There are some pretty huge and amazing waterparks out there

I think this park might be making a few exaggerated claims. Biggest and best waterpark in the world? I'm not so sure about that. Sure, it looks like it is going to be a great park. There's no denying that. But I'm not quite sure it is the biggest and best. There are some pretty huge and amazing waterparks out there

Just another marketing ploy, nothing new there. It won't be the biggest or best in the world, but using that as a tag line to grab someone's attention quickly as they see something like a banner or sign with that on it gains a lot of interest and attention. Still going to be a great park though.

Announcement #1: Typhoon (Rattler)

"Experience exhilarating drops on this two-person raft ride that will leave you gripping your tube as you spiral through the Typhoon.

Hold on for a ride full of twists and turns as you make your way through dark tunnels of the Typhoon before splashing down in the pool below."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntFDzgbOsYc&feature=youtu.be

So they have Tropical Cyclone and now Typhoon.

I wonder if they'll call the Tornado the Tornado.

and the Tantrum Alley the Hurricane.

Has anyone seen this?

http://nyefestival.net.au/default.aspx

I first saw it and immediately dismissed it as fake. I can't seem to find a trace of this "One Cube Entertainment" on the internet. But I saw the WnWS fb page reply to some people asking about it, saying "This is not a Wet'n'Wild Sydney operated event, a third party is hosting the event" and then "We will be making an official announcement soon".

I hopped to this event's facebook page to see they have announced Will Sparks as a headliner, which he confirmed on his own facebook page. They say it will be a 16+ event with 18+ areas for alcohol.

I'm confused now.

Has anyone seen this?

http://nyefestival.net.au/default.aspx

I first saw it and immediately dismissed it as fake. I can't seem to find a trace of this "One Cube Entertainment" on the internet. But I saw the WnWS fb page reply to some people asking about it, saying "This is not a Wet'n'Wild Sydney operated event, a third party is hosting the event" and then "We will be making an official announcement soon".

I hopped to this event's facebook page to see they have announced Will Sparks as a headliner, which he confirmed on his own facebook page. They say it will be a 16+ event with 18+ areas for alcohol.

I'm confused now.

It seems legit. WnWS said it's a third party hosted event.

Bear in mind that WnW GC uses the catch phrase 'Biggest n Best' which is their marketing campaign against WhitewaterWorld - who were much newer, with some gimmicky slides, but a lot smaller.

My guess is they're just continuing the branding of 'biggest n best'. I don't necessarily believe that they're saying 'in the world'