Wet 'n' Wild Sydney Construction

Guest lozzie

Thanks Julys. Are you able to get a closer pic of that sign? I'm interested to see the photos on it. It looks like the guys above were right - it is a WhiteWater West Whizzard, but with additional twists at the beginning. I like the fact that they are going with a mix of both WhiteWater AND Proslide products for this park. They both have some great products to offer

hey mate, have been trying to get a closer photo shot of the sign but my lense couldn't get a clearer picture (250mm only) sorry mate, hope these pictures will make up for it.

post-29368-0-82000600-1370083799_thumb.j

post-29368-0-11465100-1370084677_thumb.j

post-29368-0-25860500-1370085132_thumb.j

post-29368-0-13101000-1370085608_thumb.j

post-29368-0-36597600-1370085921_thumb.j

post-29368-0-16452700-1370086194_thumb.j

That curved frame is a boomerango, but there will also be a constrictor like wnw Phoenix, a rattler, and quad master blaster.

I didn't realise there was going to be a constrictor too. I'm assuming it's the last green slide in the photo below? That is going to be one busy tower! 481359-wet-039-n-039-wild.jpg

Edited by GoGoBoy

I know cost wise it would be very hard to deal with - but it'd be nice if the parks could set up their slides so that they all took a single rider tube.

I'm not saying do away with slides that only take cloverleaf - i'm saying have those slides, but make them suitable for a single rider. Single rider tornado wouldn't need to be as big - so there are savings to be made there - you could build two to deal with the resultant capacity issues etc...

Then - each person pays for their own tube. I'm not talking big bucks here - but say $2? Then you can go to any slide you like, carry your own tube, and ride it. This eliminates the need for conveyors (because people are capable of carrying a single rider tube) which also saves money. Although it would result in a slightly reduced capacity, things would be quicker because you don't have to wait for someone to quit goofing around, get out of the splashdown pool and hand over the tube, and you also don't have to wait while 2x 8 year olds try and carry a cloverleaf up the stairs in front of you.

There will still be some slides that just cannot have a single rider tube - like kamikaze for instance - but most others can easily handle a single tube... and while it would cost the park far more to set up (in having to have enough tubes for each guest, rather than just for each ride), to minimal charge per person of $2 a day would see thousands of dollars in extra revenue to set up the system, and staff it. Hell you could hand them out in the morning un-inflated, and have 'inflation stations' around the park for people to inflate their own....

Theres probably a thousand and one reasons why this isn't plausible - i can think of a few myself - but the idea came to me, and I thought I'd share it - see what discussion comes out of it.

here will still be some slides that just cannot have a single rider tube - like kamikaze for instance

:)

The one I rode in Singapore at Wild Wild Wet also let you go by yourself.

Single rider tornado wouldn't need to be as big - so there are savings to be made there - you could build two to deal with the resultant capacity issues etc...

I guess then the trade-off is a much poorer ride experience. The single rider 'topsy turvy' Tornado type slides at Aquatica were very tame and had zero airtime compared to the full sized version: You just don't have the momentum and speed like the full size version, and you can't really scale up a single rider version due to the risk of rafts flipping.

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/US/Orlando/Aquatica/1491-Omaka_Rocka/2,2,5460-Omaka_Rocka_Whanau_Way.html

They make one size up for the single rider version (Again, one in Singapore lol, at the new Adventure Cove park), and this pov just shows you how little they do for the rider:

Personally, I reckon Jamberoo has it right with their Tornado. A nice big slide, with a raft conveyor and "footprints" on the ground at the boarding point so people can be grouped.

things would be quicker because you don't have to wait for someone to quit goofing around, get out of the splashdown pool and hand over the tube, and you also don't have to wait while 2x 8 year olds try and carry a cloverleaf up the stairs in front of you.

Is there really a saving though? I mean on Constrictor at WnW you have to wait for rafts, and can be held up by slow kids walking up the hill, but ultimately the capacity is determined by how quickly the rafts get sent out from the top of the tower so all slow kids do is delay the inevitable. (On any of these slides, be it Tornado, Kamikaze, Constrictor there is always going to be a 2nd queue at the top of the tower all day)

Edited by Gazza

Not really. The first one of these built was Omaka Rocker, and they found they had to put in speed bumps on the leadup to each funnel because a single rider has a higher center of gravity compared to 4 people spread wide on a cloverleaf, so people were regularly flipping over.

You can see the white coloured speedbumps that they sculpted on here:

KrtTjAL.jpg

In newer versions I guess they have done away with having it enter the funnel too high and just flattened down the entry.

It's really a question of scale. A big curve 18m in diameter like a typical tornado isn't going to have that tightness that could cause rafts to tip, but a the same time the scale is big enough that you get more than 0.001 sec of airtime like the smaller ones.

At the end of the day, this is always gonna be the better ride experience:

Thanks for the article. The red and orange slide pieces in one of those photos I'm guessing is for the Tornado Wave. It was green in the concept images.

Update: Changed my mind... could be the Tantrum Alley.

Edited by GoGoBoy

The shock I had when I was driving around Greensborough and saw a tantrum alley coming out the side of a suburban swimming/fitness centre will not be surpassed for some time. I genuinely had no idea it was there, but it was a nice surprise. There seems to be a few water slides being added throughout similar venues in suburban Melbourne. Its good to see because a lot of the old slides at the outdoor swimming pools are being shut down or removed. GESAC which opened last year is another example.

528717_514611761923655_913471930_n.jpg Beyond that, Wet n Wild will look great. I have high expectations for the landscaping around the park, and I predict the slides will fit in well. If the whole park was set up like Calypso Bay then they would be on to a winner ;)

Edited by keadz

Found a couple of tidbits on the net today - blooloop.com have a press release from Whitewater talking about two of the slide complexes - http://www.blooloop.com/ViewNews.aspx?ID=23008 On Flickr there is some shots of infrastructure that appears to be destined for WnW Sydney.. hard to tell, not sure what i'm looking at, see for yourself - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rideentertainmentgroup/9073142485/in/set-72157634187901305/

On Flickr there is some shots of infrastructure that appears to be destined for WnW Sydney.. hard to tell, not sure what i'm looking at, see for yourself - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rideentertainmentgroup/9073142485/in/set-72157634187901305/

According to your link, it's parts for the skycoaster

2013- Wet'n'Wild Sydney Ride Entertainment Group
The 251-foot Skycoaster is the centerpiece of a brand new waterpark in Sydney

There's no doubt, if everything goes to plan, Wet'n'Wild Sydney will be better (and that does annoy me a bit) but Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast will still draw the bigger crowds because people will still come to the Gold Coast for Movie World, Sea World, Dreamworld, Etc. and will go to Wet'n'Wild whilst there.

Sydney will be better, no doubt. It's going to have slides that we don't have anywhere in Australia. And while Gold Coast will definitely pull the numbers with tourism being such a main part of their economy, Sydney is mainly targeting the people of the western suburbs who have to travel a long way to get to the beach. It's even going to pull people from up and down the coast (Newcastle/Central Coast/Wollongong) just like the Gold Coast does.