Ricks Cafe - getting an update?

aussienetman

I guess I have always overlooked ricks cafe at Movieworld. While its closed for refurbishment could this be a good time to update the theming? Have you eaten at this buffet before? It looks like the closure is open ended at this stage. Here's a wild thought.... Could it be closed for good to make space in a prime piece of real estate? It wouldn't be the first time a ride/attraction has closed for refurbishment and never reopened. Thinking out loud here, but ricks cafe does take up a lot of space, as well as the area beside it where the prayer area is currently located. By moving the buffet permanently to stars cafe, this does open up some nice space for Movieworld.

I can tell you from information I received that it is only closed for refurbishment with the buffet having moved to the All Star Cafe until completed. I have eaten there before and personally found it well worth the price. However the price does put it outside the amount I would pay everytime I attended the park.

I wouldn't mind seeing the All Star cafe getting some love, I think its a really nice part of the park, but it has always been on my observations dead, closed or used as a pass processing centre. I wouldn't mind going there and eating there, on hot day inside, or if nice enough go outside and from there I can enjoy the front of the park and also watch the ride doing there thing!

There was a period a few years back it was operating as a full menu outlet. I fondly remember ordering fish and chips and a beer and having a pleasant time out. I really liked it as such. One idea that could work for the park is to maybe run it as a breakfast outlet open with the gates in the morning... That venue also worked fantastically as the Club Blood nightclub space at fright nights last year.

You used to (way back) be able to book a breakfast withe the stars and it was in that building. They then moved to a kids morning breakfast stage performance, and also used it for a small christmas stage performance. Hopefully after they move Rick's back this building can be used as an outlet again instead of sitting unused for a lot of the year.

There was a period a few years back it was operating as a full menu outlet. I fondly remember ordering fish and chips and a beer and having a pleasant time out...

A agree! It used to be my regular location for food and drink a couple of years ago as the prices weren't too bad, they had some decent relatively healthy food options and it was a nice place to chill out. I'd like to see utilised again! The front corner of the park could now use it with so many key rides located there. Jay

I agree, keep Ricks a restaurant, there isn't a whole lot of space for something to be gracefully done that would fit in well with Main Street anyway. I would like to see the Buffet move out of Ricks though and into the Stars Cafe, and have Ricks gracefully turned into a proper sit down restaurant. Won't happen, but it is what i'd like to see occur.

Moving it would be a dumb thing to do unless they open something good in the space and also no one would get excited for a new cafe on the holidays. The cafe isn't very cheap, that's why people go to the McDonalds across the road for lunch .

i like stories!

You scare me..

for VIP pass holders, the buffet at Ricks was as cheap as $19.95 in the last few months - and for quite a while they were marketing 'all you can eat' for about $24.95 to general park guests... it's about what you'd pay at most all-u-can-eat restaurants - sizzler is cheaper without the hot food selection, and pizza hut is cheaper - but you only have pizza\pasta, so I see it as decent value. What I would like to see them do is offer a bottomless softdrink option for diners - I mean the buffet is already an 'all you can eat, all day' venue - come back as many times as you like for the same price - but you still have to pay a fortune for a cup of post mix. If you want to encourage people to visit Rick's more - then offer bottomless softdrink (with meal purchase) for $4.95. I usually drink soft drink, but in the parks, I'll have water or go without because their prices for post-mix are exorbitant (and i've already got wayyyyyy too many souvenir cups). If I had the option of a nice, sit down lunch, and all-day soft drinks, i'd pay it everytime - most people here don't buy TP food, but many will still buy a drink or two. When you add up the cost of the cups \ bottles - you're easily spending $7ish on drinks for the day... Plus - it saves having to carry around those stupid souvenir cups (which - while good value on a refill NEED LIDS!)

Its funny, I always thought any restaurant in Oz would make a killing if they started the bottomless soft drink system that is pretty well the case in EVERY American Restaurant. Sure you loose post mix sales but the increase in revenue from people coming in would probably worth it. I'm not saying the parks should do this, theme parks make GOOD money from soft drinks but I'm just surprised.