Dreamworld - Stringray

Randy23

That thing has had its fair share of re-themes and relocations over the years anyway. It's probably very tired. When the park first opened it was called the Roulette and was, funnily enough, themed to a giant roulette wheel with accompanying cards and dice theming as the centrepiece

• 7 months later...

Along with the classic Wave Swinger ride, this imo is one of the most underrated flats out there. Absolute shame that DW's version was never operated as it was designed. The U.F.O I believe is still doing the rounds at fairgrounds only because its over the guy's shoulder in the ad for Dare iced coffee - personally I havent seen it since I was a kid. Has anyone else ridden this type of ride at full intensity? I always loved how it had multiple operating formats including coin flip with spin/no spin/no flip/backwards/forwards etc.. Would love to see one of the big ride companies re-create this unique thrill ride only maxing it up as has been done with the wave swinger

MickeyD: World's of Fun had an indoor version called Cyclone Sam's. I didn't know what the ride was when I queued up, and when I got inside I was really disappointed to see it was effectively a Stingray clone. Well, as along with the improvements that come by putting a ride indoors, it was running a really intense cycle (which I'll admit I didn't know those rides could even do), and I reckon it is probably the ride which has surprised me most out of everything I've been on. Fantastic little ride.

Just found this small clip on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9dDBoqhbs. Looks like it's running the same cycle as it was at Dreamworld though. It's good to see that Funfields are adding something new every year (either dry ride or water ride). They also added a small tea cup ride this season, which used to be at Australia Zoo: http://www.funfields.com.au/rides/snakes-alive/ The park seems to be doing very well for itself. Last time I went to Funfields the park reached capacity by lunchtime, and had to turn away guests!

Pleasantly surprised how well Funfields is doing. Adding some new water slides, the pirate ship, grabbing the Sting Ray etc. Good on them, taken the title from Adventure Park in Geelong as best fun park in Victoria IMO. Think they are fairly constrained in terms of expanding though. But it's been a while since Ive seen the place.

Edited by keadz

I remember riding the Endevour as a kid and really enjoying it. But as Rappa said, this ride had little to no restraint system! From what I remember everybody had a small gated off area where you stood up in, and then a chain link was attached across those gates as the 'restraint'. I always questioned the safety of that ride because you HAD to hold on or else you'd fall out! Here's a good video of it:

Edited by Luke

If you made no attempt to hold on, and no attempt to stablise your footing (using your 'sea legs') the worst that would happen is you would fall onto the chain, potentially fall over it or through it, seeing you land in the aisleway. The operator would very quickly e-stop, which would flatten the boat onto a level rotation in about 2 seconds, and bring it to a very quick (screeching) stop. You'd be a bit banged up, but you most certainly would not have fallen off out.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Funfields a couple of weeks ago....sorry for not posting sooner :/ But I do have pics of the new Burnout ride. Even though it is a small family park, it's still a great place to visit. The place has a unique charm that a lot of more commercial parks lack. A good 1/3 of the land is taken up by the picnic area of the park; lots of shade, picnic shelters, coin operated barbecues, a nice cafe/kiosk/ice creamery rolled into one (churros is new for this season!). Looks like they did a lot of touch-ups and landscaping over the off-season as everything was clean and well kept. They've also poured ashfelt/bitumen over the original gravel car park. Since 2008/9 they've been steadily adding new attractions every season, and it's paying off by the looks of the crowds the day I was there (30 min wait for the toboggans all day). The new addition this season was the old Stingray from Dreamworld....now named Burnout, and a small tea cups ride from Australia Zoo called Snakes Alive. It think they both fit right at home at Funfields amongst the the childrens area of the park. Burnout was operating in the exact same fashion it was at Dreamworld in it's last couple years (would of been awesome if they sped it up a bit). Both the outer chassi and inner mechanical aspects of the ride look like they got a good overhaul though, along with the obvious new paint job. Good little ride, but again more of a family/childrens ride. post-1433-0-52693900-1358421249_thumb.jp post-1433-0-18755300-1358421366_thumb.jp post-1433-0-00977500-1358421573_thumb.jp