Harry Potter coming to Japan

Just when I thought I'd need to save my monies and go to Orlando, Universal have confirmed that Harry Potter is coming to Japan!

Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Universal Studios Japan has confirmed that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be coming to the Osaka park. Construction is set to begin within the next few weeks on the $500 million new land which will include the iconic Hogwarts Castle, the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride and other attractions when it opens in late 2014. According to the article at the LA Times, the Japanese version of the Wizarding World will open far ahead of the already announced version coming to the Hollywood park which isn’t expected to open now until 2016.]

Can't wait to check this out. Flights to Japan are so cheap and might hit up Universal Singapore while im in the area as well. about 18 months to wait!

It was a Long time ago and it wasn't really a trip. More like a meet up at a park. Spoke to the parks and it wasn't going to be feasible at that stage. An official event at a local park would just cost to much , and with the cheap VIP passes what was on offer and what we were able to wring out of the parks was not cost effective. Also, do I really want to spend time with some of you guys? (bahaha) A meet up at a park is achievable but with no real perks. Also i think from the boards inception, people have tried to organise meet ups that not many people have shown interest in. Nate

Not to mention that since the production of books and movies has finished, DVDs are all released - her income is slowing down. She won't be the richest woman in the (world \ united kingdom \ universe) unless she drums up ways to generate more income. Whilst she might be protective of the branding, some IP copyright only lasts 25 years, and some 50 - she's better off granting licensing to whomever wants to buy it, so long as the right price is set - to 'make hay while the sun shines'

So it opens in 2016 at USH? Didnt realise it was so far away ... that will be mark 5 years since the final movie came out - whilst im sure harry potter will be a long time crowd drawer, one would think the impact and interest will have significantly waivered by then with the majority of the youth/teen market that grew up with the book/movie releases moving into adulthood

Yea.. I didn't realise that either. Like you, I don't think the interest will waiver to much. I mean look at the popularity of Water World, based on a fairly pool movie (by general standards - I loved it though) and its still an amazing crowd drawing stunt show. I think the calibre of the attraction will outlive the interest in the movies.