Seaworld Review 19/05/12

Headed to Seaworld today, got in around 10 or just after. Entry was via the Paradise Room for passholders. Nice and quick. Immediately got a locker and headed to JetRescue while it was quiet. Got in 4 rides back to back before deciding to venture away. JR doesn't feel as fast as I remember it being, you do feel a good kick through the 2nd launch still though. There was very light mist at the tunnel exit. Noticed two things about the trains. 1 - the little black handles on the lap bars have all been removed. 2 - The 2nd train was missing a good 4 or 5 pairs of cars in the maintenance section. Couldn't see them anywhere, maybe off site. No pics of JR or SeaViper, but SV is still obviously closed with no signs of opening any time soon. The area under the ride is being used to store the planes from one of the kids rides and there is a bunch of construction stuff there too. While riding JR, so obviously no pics to show, but I can confirm BT has been/is in the process of being gutted. There was scaffolding inside and a whole lot of empty visible through a door that had been left open. Bermuda 20120519_145520.jpg On to something new now. The Dinosaurs. Pretty sure we all knew this, but the lighthouse area is being used as the dinosaur area (didn't have my camera with me on the Skyway - which was running well btw) and there have been several new concrete slabs laid with at least one dinosaur already attached to one of them. I really hope they do something to hide the area, otherwise you'll be looking at Palm trees, dinosaurs, beach, which seems a bit silly to me. A long way to go on that yet though so let's just wait and see what happens. Scroll down to see close up pics of the new dinosaurs. (The closest I've seen posted so far anyway) The old entrance to the lighthouse 20120519_143019.jpg The new Dinosaurs 20120519_100747.jpg Lighthouse area 20120519_143243.jpg 20120519_143131.jpg 20120519_143037.jpg Penguins. So interesting looking. Was my first time checking out Seaworld's exhibit, and I must say while it's good, it doesn't (for me) come close to comparing to Kelly Tarlton's in NZ. A good attempt, but looks just too fake. Penguins 20120519_141118.jpg More Penguins 20120519_141548.jpg 20120519_141715.jpg 20120519_141836.jpg Sky Climb and Paddle Boats were both free due to SV being down. Didn't try the boats at all, but the ropes course was good. Can't say I'd personally pay for it, but I can definately see many people would. (I'm a tight ass, what can I say?) Quite a nice view from the top of the Sky Climb too. Free you say? 20120519_142906.jpg 20120519_150106.jpg Sky Climb 20120519_150120.jpg 20120519_150052.jpg Didn't check out the Jet Ski show but the rehersals did look promising. Watched Imagine though. Still very entertaining and draws a crowd but IMO it's been running a while and since they're just trained dolphins, a few new tricks wouldn't hurt. Battle Boats looks all right but really could have used those islands they showed in the original plans. Also though it could have used some warm water to keep it available during winter. It was hot enough today for a few people to jump on after lunch but it was mostly running empty. Boats 20120519_150133.jpg Finally, tried these new things (new to me at least) called Motza-sticks or something. Basically some really nice cheesey bread. That same stuff you can get from pizza hut in those dipper meals. (Damn it, foiled by the image post limit again) http://img.photobuck...0519_151110.jpg OK, now overall you might view this as a negative review, I want to clarify that it's NOT, we had a really good day and the overall experience was great. Oh, here's a random polar bear http://img.photobuck...0519_145135.jpg

Edited by reanimated35

Liked the review, so BT is finally getting gutted, which good, maybe some new construction soon! I still think would it be possible to open a new ride in there by Christmas? Or would be too much work? SW was always my favourite park, but it did drop the ball. But they seem to have made some good decisions as of late; the news jet ski show, Penguin Encounter, the parade and I think anything to get people over to the lighthouse that has been dead for years is a good idea. Plus maybe its just me, or I'm not as picky but the dinosaurs appear to look fine and I'm sure its target market of 5 year old boys are going to be that picky about how the dinosaurs look and therefore will be hit with the park as a family attraction. I like to hear that the Skyway is running good again, I was worried about that ride for a little while; SW also can't help whats happened with SV but at least they aren't letting it sit there and rot, they are attempting to fix it and offering free peddle boats and SkyClimb as compensation is a good idea. Now all thats needed in my eye is something to be done with the train, fix up the empty spot in the kids area for the helicopter ride and put a new ride into where the Pirate Ship ride was, order a new monorail train so it goes back to how it was with 3 along with a BT replacement which appears to be on the way and the park will be on its way to being my favourite GC park to relax in. Also, the games area in the courtyard where the food and gift shops are, does it still look cheap and temporary? Because, my other gripe would be if it wants to stay there; which from all accounts it makes money, so its not going anywhere, give it a proper looking home that ties in with the rest of that area and with SW as a beach side theme and not what it is now. Anyway, good review, because it sounds like management are now turning their focus to SW and are slowly improving it back to the standard it used to be and with it hopefully the charm of the park returns! :)

In regards to BT - Judging by the speed in which Green Lantern went up and the time they took with AAST I'd say yes they could easily finish it by Christmas and have whatever it is done rather well. My guess for the Dinosaurs (unless already confirmed elsewhere) would be Sept school holidays. If the games area you're talking about was over near Dominos then I can't say I took much notice of that area at all. We only walked past it once while we were headed elsewhere. I can't see the monorail needing an extra train, maybe some air con wouldn't hurt though. As for the train, while yes it would be possible, they would need to move a bunch of stuff (shipping containers, a water tank and a fence, to name a few) and clean out the tracks, and replace the gates which have been removed near Dominos, before it would be able to run anywhere. Can anyone who works at the park, or knows someone, whatever, confirm if they even have the train any more? Last time I was there (over a year ago) the train was parked in the tunnel under the sea lion show with the last carriage hanging out. This time that tunnel was closed and there was no train to be seen. While it is technically possible, I think we're more likely to see Dreamworld having bungee jumping from the TOT before the train toots on back into town.

In regards to BT - Judging by the speed in which Green Lantern went up and the time they took with AAST I'd say yes they could easily finish it by Christmas and have whatever it is done rather well. My guess for the Dinosaurs (unless already confirmed elsewhere) would be Sept school holidays. If the games area you're talking about was over near Dominos then I can't say I took much notice of that area at all. We only walked past it once while we were headed elsewhere. I can't see the monorail needing an extra train, maybe some air con wouldn't hurt though.

I think I remember for the Dinosaurs it was stated it was going to hang around for something like 15 months?? My point with the monorail is for years until recently it ran with 3 trains, 2 on the track one in maintenance, now imagine in the peak period they find something wrong with the second train and its taken out of action, not good. My point with these things as I've said before these parks aren't seeing declining numbers, they are a lot stronger when what they were when they had; so why now do they think they can get by on 2? Some air-con I agree wouldn't also go astray.

As for the train, while yes it would be possible, they would need to move a bunch of stuff (shipping containers, a water tank and a fence, to name a few) and clean out the tracks, and replace the gates which have been removed near Dominos, before it would be able to run anywhere.

All of which is pretty minor works to get an already existing attraction running again. Seriously, the tracks are still laid and importantly the railway corridor still exists-it would be extremely easy for this to re-open

Can anyone who works at the park, or knows someone, whatever, confirm if they even have the train any more? Last time I was there (over a year ago) the train was parked in the tunnel under the sea lion show with the last carriage hanging out. This time that tunnel was closed and there was no train to be seen. While it is technically possible, I think we're more likely to see Dreamworld having bungee jumping from the TOT before the train toots on back into town.

The train used to be berthed under the Sea Viper station- as far as I know this still exists!! The train could be in long term storage there. I am not sure why it is beyond the realms of possibility for the Seaworld train to re-open?? :o No one has given anything concrete other than speculation and opinion and I am sorry, but at this stage, I just do not buy it. The strongest indicator for its NOT returning is of course the time it has been SBNO, but this does not preclude that it COULD be quite easily re-opened....... Edited by Jobe

Hmmm... It doesn't sound like it had to many stops so wasn't really an effective people mover... Upkeep and extra staffing probably led to its closure. The train has probably sat unloved since its closure so it's possible u won't see it return. (I did swear that big bro would never return to Dreamworld so I have been wrong in the past lol )

Hmmm... It doesn't sound like it had to many stops so wasn't really an effective people mover... Upkeep and extra staffing probably led to its closure. The train has probably sat unloved since its closure so it's possible u won't see it return. (I did swear that big bro would never return to Dreamworld so I have been wrong in the past lol )

The train possibly will never come back Aussie, this is true. But the real question is WHY?? As far as I can see, there is no real impediment for it NOT to re-open- not cost, not design , not due to public issues or popularity....no one (the Park included) has given anything that could be considered a valid reason....it really is a curious situation. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I was there yesterday... Haven't been in years so can't remember what it used to be like. Monorail wasn't running... Saw a few construction workers working on a couple of different things throughout the park. Penguin display was a bit cramped as you can only get in and out of the upstairs part from one direction. Was a bit warm inside too... Jet ski show was ok. Needs shade cloths or something. Left halfway after I got crapped on by a seagull :/ First time I've been on the jet rescue ride and really enjoyed it. Wouldn't want to be a big guy on that ride though as there isn't much room on it. Feet nearly didn't fit into the footwells.