The best US parks

Chris

Hi all, i'm planning a US theme park orientated trip for next year and am going for about two months. I want to get to as many parks as possible and i'm not interested in disney. Looking at universal florida, sea world florida, some six flags parks, cedar fair parks and anything else that can't be missed. I've heard six flags parks aren't that great, is that true? Also what is your opinions on parks i have to get to.

I don't really know much about disney to be honest, i'd go to world in florida not land but. Are they open all year unlike most other parks and are they real busy? We're three guys in our twenties so not sure if we'd be heaps impressed by it. Literally just saw it on getaway and it looks pretty insane but thoughts?

Magic Kingdom is definitely the way to go, that seems like the big one of the "Disney group" in FL. What time of year are you aiming for? Because really autumn is the time to go due to there being no summer lines, and most new stuff being open as well as the Cedar Fair parks. Over at Micechat.com every tuesday they upload/date Orlando Parkhopper which will really tell you about park updates and what not, meanwhile In The Parks is every friday, and focus's on the CA parks, and generally the entire website is great for finding out all sorts of things..... There's also the show on TLC called "Disney Parks" but i'm not sure if that still airs , you can find it on Hulu but to watch Hulu you're going to need

video.

I don't really know much about disney to be honest, i'd go to world in florida not land but.

Magic Kingdom is definitely the way to go, that seems like the big one of the "Disney group" in FL.

Actually if you want to go to a Disney park the best is the Disneyland resort. People have added up the number of attractions and they both have about the same amount (except only in 2 parks instead of 4). WDW has had falling standards recently and is starting to fall into disrepair. So if you visit a Disney park the best to go to is the Disneyland resort. Also Knott's Berry Farm is good to go to. As well as the three Universal Parks each one has something different.

Hi all, i'm planning a US theme park orientated trip for next year and am going for about two months. I want to get to as many parks as possible and i'm not interested in disney. Looking at universal florida, sea world florida, some six flags parks, cedar fair parks and anything else that can't be missed. I've heard six flags parks aren't that great, is that true? Also what is your opinions on parks i have to get to.

-Disney...I reckon its worth it. I kinda prefer the two parks in California to the Four at Disneyworld. Disney doesn't have that many extreme rides, but at the same time I shouldn't just be dismissed as a place for kiddies. Rides like Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, California Screamin', Soarin over California, Tower of Terror etc are all "best in class" type stuff. At Disney what you get is really solid, entertaining, and fun rides. Carsland is opening at Disney California adventure, and Radiator Springs Racers looks pretty bloody impressive: rsr-track.jpg As for Six Flags...I've never found them too bad to be honest actually. I've been to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Six Flags over Texas, both were good, and Magic Mountain is a must in LA because the huge variety of coasters. My favourite park in the US is probably Islands of Adventure. Good Coasters, good theming, and The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey are a couple of the best attractions in the world. Universal Hollywood is worth it for the new Transformers ride (I rode the Singaporean version in Feb and loved it, and the Hollywood version is identical) In terms of other parks in the US that recieve a lot of praise, the ones that stick out include. -Busch Gardens (There is one near Orlando, and another one in Willamsburg, VA) -Dollywood -Six Flags Great Adventure -Cedar Point -Hersheypark But, to be honest, if you see the major parks in California and Florida, that's a pretty decent bite and you wouldn't come away dissapointed.

So disney and universal are open 365 days a year but six flags and cedar fair are open through the week for pretty much only the summer holidays. Why? If i had to choose from land or world which should i pick. Helpfull replies too guys thanks. Until june 13 qantas holidays are offering return flights, 7 days accomodation and 6 day disney resort pass for just $2833 twin share if anyones interested.

Edited by Chris

So disney and universal are open 365 days a year but six flags and cedar fair are open through the week for pretty much only the summer holidays. Why? If i had to choose from land or world which should i pick. Helpfull replies too guys thanks. Until june 13 qantas holidays are offering return flights, 7 days accomodation and 6 day disney resort pass for just $2833 twin share if anyones interested.

The parks that aren't open all year are usually in lower populated areas or are forced to close due to the weather. If you had to chose between DL and WDW it would be best to go to DL as it contains almost all the best rides from WDW plus most of Disneys best rides, also it contains the soon to open carsland.

Disney and Universal are destination type parks, they get a lot of tourists, so they open every day (A bit like the parks on the Gold Coast) Six Flags, Cedar Fair are more aimed at local populations and aren't typically in the 'touristy' areas (Eg SF Magic Mountain is about 90km from Disneyland) The Australian equivalent would be like how Adventure World in Perth closes during the winter. Climate also plays into it a lot. Florida is on an equivalent latitude to Queensland, so the weather is good most of the time. On the other hand most cedar fair parks are in the parts of the US where it snows, so they close outside of the summer months. In terms of Disneyland/DCA versus Walt Disney World... Think of Disneyland being equivalent to Magic Kingdom, and California Adventure being roughly equivalent to Disneys Hollywood Studios.... The main point of difference is EPCoT and Animal Kingdom being only at Walt Disney World...Look up the parks and see if they are your thing.

Until june 13 qantas holidays are offering return flights, 7 days accomodation and 6 day disney resort pass for just $2833 twin share if anyones interested.

if you're not set on flying with Qantas and are flexible with when you go you could do it alot cheaper then that. for $3000 per person my girlfriend and I have worked out a holiday that starts with 2 weeks in L.A going to Disneyland, DCA, six flags magic mountain, universal studios and knotts Berry farm. Then we are going to Orlando for a week and going to the Disney Parks there. that price includes everything traveling in October. we are just unsure if we want to do a few days in Las Vegas as well.

Both Busch Gardens parks (Tampa, Florida and Williamsburg, Virginia), Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio), Six Flags Great Adventure (Jackson, New Jersey) and Hersheypark (Hershey, Pennsylvania) are some must visit parks IMO. There are plenty of others but those are the ones that stick out the most in my mind.

Was recently in Florida in early November last year, and did both Disneyworld and Universal while over there. Both amazing places in general and great parks, but the standout would have to be Islands of Adventure. The best park I have ever been to. Great rollercoasters, great wet rides and fantastic dark rides. Well worth the many hours to get there! All 6 parks visted, the average wait times would be no more than 30mins on the most popular rides(Space Mountain, ToT), Islands of Adventure was basically walk ons most of the day(Realising this after already paying for the express pass!) except for Harry Potter&TFB

Im going to add to the lost of people who mention Disneyland Resort, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios Hollywood. Im yet to go East Coast and experience all that Orlando has to offer: 1. Because i fell in love with the Original Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Resort. I Really enjoy the fact that its all so tight nit together. Disney always provides a very solid product in all that they do and there is so much diversity when it comes to the atmosphere, attractions, shows and entertainment. 2. My LA trips consist of the bulk being spent at Disney (Mainly because i have a lot of friends there that i spend most of my time with now having been on 4 trips, 5th in sept CANT WAIT), Usually a day at Universal, would love to look at doing 2 next trip i really like the Movie Magic feel created at the park. Six Flags Magic Mountain is a must, gets the nerves going and the heart pumping with its large collection of coasters. Knotts i visit every second year, its a great way to break up all the Disney! Never thought i would say that. But i really only end up spending half a day and im done. You can usually pick up really cheap tickets also, that and its only 15mins down the road from Disney. Sea World San Diego iv done once, not much at all in the way of rides though i wouldn't mind trying out Mantra. 3. As i mentioned i haven't done Orlando yet so i cant compare but i feel that LA park hopping is very easy to do as a tourist and is very hassle free when being based from Anaheim. LA and Anaheim are your 2 major "home" destinations everything and anything is based from these locations. Tours are very easy to access when it comes to door to door pick up and drop off. Plus you will find a variety of different attractions and sights within these locations.

I'm with westical... Doing a park trip, and skipping Disney... it's like eating and McDonald's - and not having fries with that. it's like going to a cinema - and not buying a grossly oversized, overpriced box of popcorn that ends up part on the seat, and part in the bin because it got cold. it's like being John West - and accepting less than the best. it's like Dreamworld installing a new ride - and not adding it to the list of the Big Thrill rides it's like walking down the street - and not watching where you're going. (also substitutable for driving) it's like flying international - and not getting your little packet of nuts it's like doing a theme park tour - and skipping anything Disney... (anyone else?)

I'm with westical... Doing a park trip, and skipping Disney... it's like eating and McDonald's - and not having fries with that. it's like going to a cinema - and not buying a grossly oversized, overpriced box of popcorn that ends up part on the seat, and part in the bin because it got cold. it's like being John West - and accepting less than the best. it's like Dreamworld installing a new ride - and not adding it to the list of the Big Thrill rides it's like walking down the street - and not watching where you're going. (also substitutable for driving) it's like flying international - and not getting your little packet of nuts it's like doing a theme park tour - and skipping anything Disney... (anyone else?)

it's like having a computer- and not having internet. it's like Dreamworld installing a new ride- and installing the thumbing ONTIME. it's like winning the elections- and keeping your promises. it's like being a Parkz member- and not at some point not complaining about Dreamworld. it's like being a Windows user- and liking the OS........ Edited by jjuttp

Another thing thats been bothering me is i'm 193cms tall without shoes on. I could hardly fit on cyclone and superman escape was a bit tight on my shoulders, would my height prevent me going on any coasters, particularly stand up ones? I think most max heights are around the 195 to 2m mark?

Will florida crowds be down by august, im thinking of doing the rest of the us during juneand july using fast lane and flash pass along the way and arriving in orlando the start of august to miss the summer holiday crowds. How does that sound?