Captain Sturt Closed at Dreamworld

Bmull19

Also, when i went last year i noticed at the back end (Near the animals) where the islands "split in 2"; there was a treehouse like thing crossing over the water, just hidden by trees. Was this used for the show or?

Someone once told me that the treehouse area used to be a reachable play area of the park. Personally I doubt this. I would like to see the Captain Sturt return to some normal looking paint scheme and used as a walk through link to the island along with a variety of bridges (concrete, wooden suspension) to get to the island from different points of the park and have them do a themed area on the island. Maybe put in a woodie and make it an extension of the log ride area.

...Something Australia does not have yet. I think that would get peoples attention!

Be careful what you wish for. MDMC was a southern hemisphere first, as was Buzzsaw, as was the long track designed shockwave. For Dreamworld at least, being Australian first hasn't exactly done them any favours....

Look, I didn't mind Buzzsaw. It was fun with just the lapbar. I wouldn't line up more than 30 minutes for it but it was fun. Captain Sturt... I do wonder how many people actually were getting on board. I mean, its not a people mover and it's just a lap around a disused lake so I don't know how popular it would have been. One that are complaining about its closure I would be interested to know when was the last time you rode it and how often when u visited the park did u make the effort to go on it? Times change and attactions close. The boat was probably costing more to keep running then was garnering the public it needed to warrant it

Look, I didn't mind Buzzsaw. It was fun with just the lapbar. I wouldn't line up more than 30 minutes for it but it was fun. Captain Sturt... I do wonder how many people actually were getting on board. I mean, its not a people mover and it's just a lap around a disused lake so I don't know how popular it would have been. One that are complaining about its closure I would be interested to know when was the last time you rode it and how often when u visited the park did u make the effort to go on it? Times change and attactions close. The boat was probably costing more to keep running then was garnering the public it needed to warrant it

I rode it with my whole family last time I was there in 09. It was something you could do with everyone. I guess the "slow boat" no longer fits in Dreamworld's vision for filling the park with sub-standard "thrill rides" like the Motocoaster.

One that are complaining about its closure I would be interested to know when was the last time you rode it and how often when u visited the park did u make the effort to go on it?

Bit of a loaded question. By the end it only ran once per day. When I rode it back with the bushranger show it was packed. Obviously if an attraction is deliberately cut back people will ignore it.

Dreamworld have never had a huge show and ent department have they?

I guess you can call the Madagascar Show their best (i have not seen it, just heard it was good). Although I do remember the Bushranger Show when i was a little kid and it was very entertaining :) I must say, loud gun shots makes shows better! If you think about it, Police Academy had gun shots and HWSD has gun shot sounds when the car breaks apart. Just loud sounds makes it entertaining and keeps you watching.

thats true, it was a loaded question. How long ago did the bushranger show close? Dreamworld have never had a huge show and ent department have they?

the bushranger show closed in 2001 along with the australian country jamboree the animatronics were removed and a new show called outback celebration replaced them both but it only larsted till 2002- early 2003 ?

I guess you can call the Madagascar Show their best (i have not seen it, just heard it was good). Although I do remember the Bushranger Show when i was a little kid and it was very entertaining :) I must say, loud gun shots makes shows better! If you think about it, Police Academy had gun shots and HWSD has gun shot sounds when the car breaks apart. Just loud sounds makes it entertaining and keeps you watching.

Correction. Fire and explosions make EVERYTHING better.

That show they put in to replace the animatronic show was beyond tragic!

yes it was the australia country jamboree was one of my most loved parts of dreamworld as a kid and i hated that thay removed it and still miss it to this day Edited by djrappa
cleaned up

• 2 months later...

I think that all parks will have the time when they need to redo their kids area. Dreamworld has had/is having their upgrade this year so thats why they havn't had anything for thrill seekers. Movieworld will have to update their area sometime or even when they are doing the work on LTRR.. when this happens, dreamworld should take the opportunity

Edited by xRazzBerryx

• 2 weeks later...

How much land does Dreamworld actually own? I noticed on Google Earth there looks to be enough land beside the big brother house (urgh!) to fit another park the size of DW there; does anyone know if they own all that?

A lot of it was sold to the govt and also Westfield as land for the proposed but ever delayed Coomera Town Centre

• 3 months later...

The only reason the Captain Sturt closed was because it was boring. They should reopen it and bring back the bushrangers. They could do a show in the middle island. Dreamworld also need to knock down Blue Lagoon. They should have built Whitewater World as an expansion to BL keeping all original slides but now BL is destroyed. Knock it down and build a wooden rollercoaster. They also need to find a better location for motorcoaster and put the vintage cars back where they were with decent theming.