Dreamworld 5 year plan - a challenge

There best bet is probably another wild mouse. You could create a good lengthy ride that doesn't take up much space, would be cost effective to DW's standards and considering it would be dark you could theme it well much like the old one just more up to date and safe. It was an awesome ride already. I can't see them looking too far outside that original box. Is there new tech based wild mouses around or are they a dying breed?

Edited by Grantus

That's exactly what I was suggesting!

No, you said a Vekoma Mine Train. The reason I put foward the bobsled is that it comes down to Turn radii. Individual small cars would be able to pull of tighter turns. Anything with a multi car train is not going to work on a site as small as Eureka (Only about 22x50m) because then the turns become too big. http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/bobsled-coaster/ The Bobsled Coaster 380 fits those dimensions almost perfectly. Temple Du Peril could fit too, but it's a pretty crappy coaster in terms of layout.

I think keep the basis of the mine theme, perhaps use the mountain as the station but come up with a way to get a spinning mouse in there. That's the gimmick you new to market the ride as a new experience. To be honest a simple facade like that isn't expensive in the grand scheme of a new ride so demolishing much if it to get the increased envelope space wouldnt be I feasible.

.. and then I said they could also do a Temple of Peril type ride.... or did you not read it?

Knock down Eureka Mountain, and rebuild the ride as a smaller Vekoma mine train(call it the same name)... or if cheaper to do so, rebuild it as a more modern dark ride wild mouse coaster(who cares if it would be simular to Scooby, we only have one in australia at the moment, thanks to this stupid decision to close Eureka). That's the post. No mention of Temple Du Peril.

I think keep the basis of the mine theme, perhaps use the mountain as the station but come up with a way to get a spinning mouse in there. That's the gimmick you new to market the ride as a new experience.

+1 actually. It would be simple enough to make the cars look like little mine carts. l0qbs9egkvtgvj0000pkv5.jpg Edited by Gazza

Oh I can imagine the Gerstlauer now. Same tight reminiscing turns like your going to fall out especially like that last one when you used to come out from the dark to the open at the end, and added bank turns for nice track hugging in a darkness/light transitional environment all the while flashing lighting effects and some sort of minor animatronics at key points telling a story. That's it, I'm emailing DW :)

Also if they're going to go in with Gerstlauer, they should buy the Woodie and chuck it out near the Log ride too, just for good measure... keep an eye on the Eurofighter as a future replacement for the boring old Cyclone, which should be put on the market(and some local park should be encouraged to pick it up, perhaps one of the Perth or Victorian ones). They could arrange it so 2 coasters would open in one year(Summer and Spring), and a third to follow the next Autumn. I also think it would be cool if Dreamworld(Or Sea World! Who could probably use the Turtles theme considering the property's owned by Warner Bros at the moment) purchased and installed the type of ride that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ride is... perhaps it could be themed to a Dreamworks property and placed somewhere near that new area of the park as their first a major Dreamworks themed thrill attraction. I think a ride that I can partly control by myself is awesome. It can be both a kids ride AND a high thrill ride. Lol, It's also built by Gerstlauer!

I think calling for Cyclone's removal is extremely premature and calling it boring is a massive exaggeration!!

Knock down Eureka Mountain, and rebuild the ride as a smaller Vekoma mine train(call it the same name)... or if cheaper to do so, rebuild it as a more modern dark ride wild mouse coaster(who cares if it would be simular to Scooby, we only have one in australia at the moment, thanks to this stupid decision to close Eureka). That's the post. No mention of Temple Du Peril. +1 actually. It would be simple enough to make the cars look like little mine carts. l0qbs9egkvtgvj0000pkv5.jpg

I agree!! One of these coasters would be a perfect fit for Eurekas footprint, and as you say Gazza, easily themed to a indoor mine cart. This would also be an Australian first and could be a quite decent addition to Dreamworld's lineup. My preference would be a Maurer Sohne model such as Alton Tower's Spinner and I would have really preferred if one of the Luna Parks had picked one of these up first, but I would be extremely content if it replaced Eureka. Great choice.

I'm going to start with the live music comment. would you rather sit at home and listen to destroyer by KISS on cd or Youtube, or witness it live? Fake blood and all. And not to mention that 10 years ago live music was how bands got their start and found. Now Sony BMG (prime example) just take the 1st person who walks through their doors just to drop of the mail at reception, and thinks "Well they look good" "Sweet, ill go get them and we can autotune them and plug their radio plays until the riots start." Secondly, wouldn't knocking down the palace be kinda hypocritical to what we're saying about DW? Things like the 2 Luna Parks are the closest things to the 1920's we have without talking about whores with razor-blades. This is the one thing that they've kinda benefited on; NOT changing and just keeping that original carney feel to things. And theaters being abundant in melbourne? In QLD every 5k's along the GC Highway is a place to hold a koala but i wouldn't want AWE or currumbin to close now would we? How else will we inform gullible people of Drop Bears? And lastly; would you rather a large bag of M&M'S for $5 or 2 medium sized bags for $6? Same goes for rides.

There is no chance the Palais theatre will be removed, I believe its heritage listed. If anything we will likely see the building restored to its former glory, I actually can't see any significant urban renewal going on St. Kilda with the extremely vocal community action groups. They block just about everything!Best bet for Luna Park in Melbourne is to look for some government support (unlikely) and for a significant investement from Lindsay Fox. Gut the parks existing carnival type rides and start again. Keep the Scenic Railway, the Merry-Go-Round, the Events/Fuction building, and the Ghost Train and work on the landscaping. Get some modern rides, rebrand the park and hope for the best.I wonder how profitable the park actually is?Back to Dreamworld.....

Edited by keadz

Look I don't think Cyclone is that bad of a coaster, maybe before when it was just a car park coaster; however, now the park has WWW and the coaster twists around the park, it works and creates a good atmosphere. I think it also for younger kids and people building up to the bigger coasters like SE, every coaster can't be crazy with a high thrill, I think it works fine for the park. It doesn't however as the parks full circuit thrill ride coaster and shouldn't be marketed as such, thats where the park needs to make a rather large purchase in this department. Cyclone just needs a major overhaul and refresh, with a faster loading operation and a second train. On the topic of a Dreamworld with 5 year plan and refreshing its image there is this, which jedimaster1227 from TPR found: Not all my options are working right now with the forums but here is the article copy and pasted below: LINK: http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/dreamworld-rides-with-sapientnitro Dreamworld rides with SapientNitro 19 Jun 2012 By Wenlei Ma Theme park brand Dreamworld has recruited SapientNitro as its creative agency as it looks to refresh its image. Dreamworld has rolled out a 'Dreamworks' precinct within the park which features characters and rides from the famed animation studio such as Shrek and Po the Panda. The park hopes it will broaden its appeal to families. SapientNitro will develop a new brand platform and refocus the brand around the experience of visiting Dreamworld. Brisbane agency Junior has previously worked with Dreamworld. Dreamworld general manager marketing Kathryn Valk said: “We chose SapientNitro to develop our new brand platform based on their expertise in translating the value of brand into the customer experience. SapientNitro's digital and strategic offering has shown us the future value of our business.” SapientNitro Brisbane managing director Stephen Forth said: “The launch of the Dreamworks films and products into Dreamworld is just one of the many exciting changes we will be working on to give the park a new edge. The true value of the Dreamworld experience goes beyond a monetary transaction. Dreamworld creates magic and memories that will stay in the family forever.”

Living in southern state working in retail leading up to any holidays, in conversation I ask whats your plans for the holidays. Its surprising how many people choose the Gold Coast, I always ask are you going to the theme parks? 99% say ‘We are going to MW and wetnwild’ when I ask are you going to Dreamworld 99% say NO, we purchased a pass to visit 3 theme parks and most add ‘we have young children’. I have lots of family in Brisbane with kinds under 9. At a BBQ we were talking about the theme parks they all said they only take their kids to MW or SW. My family said twice they were going to visit DW but the car park was so full so we went to MW. I read somewhere interstate visitors will spend more money inside a theme park than locals will So the challenge for Dreamworld moving forward is Do interstate visitors see a Dreamworld World Pass as not value for money? Why do families choose MW over DW? – I feel teaming up this Dreamworks will attract more families On some holidays is the car park full and turning away visitors? Reading the previous post, working with a creative agency is a positive step, because only an increase ticket sales and money spent inside the park with fund any new rides / re-theming / expanding WWW.

Living in southern state working in retail leading up to any holidays, in conversation I ask whats your plans for the holidays. Its surprising how many people choose the Gold Coast, I always ask are you going to the theme parks? 99% say ‘We are going to MW and wetnwild’ when I ask are you going to Dreamworld 99% say NO, we purchased a pass to visit 3 theme parks and most add ‘we have young children’. I have lots of family in Brisbane with kinds under 9. At a BBQ we were talking about the theme parks they all said they only take their kids to MW or SW. My family said twice they were going to visit DW but the car park was so full so we went to MW. I read somewhere interstate visitors will spend more money inside a theme park than locals will So the challenge for Dreamworld moving forward is Do interstate visitors see a Dreamworld World Pass as not value for money? Why do families choose MW over DW? – I feel teaming up this Dreamworks will attract more families On some holidays is the car park full and turning away visitors? Reading the previous post, working with a creative agency is a positive step, because only an increase ticket sales and money spent inside the park with fund any new rides / re-theming / expanding WWW.

If i was in your position , i'd go off my nut. MW is thrill rides and superheroes that kids love ONLY because movies are out there. With those being 2 DC (Superman and Batbitch) and 1Marvel(Spiderman). Kids know jack shit about superheros, they only like them because things blow up excessively. Walk up to any superhero obsessed child under 11 and ask them who Aquaman,Hawkgirl, and Martian Manhunter are, they wont have a clue. SW is just another wildlife park, exempt with water. And DW is what claims to be thrill rides, but is essentially a giant kids playground. They have as much kid oriented stuff as the Cavill St Mall's Timezone has things that move and/or give you seizures. Edited by jjuttp

I actually get the opposite with most people going to Dreamworld as it is better value for money (in terms of rides) plus theming is not all that important (at australias level) to most people. Although all most everyone hates Seaworld due to lack of things to do (even before recent closures.

If i was in your position , i'd go off my nut. MW is thrill rides and superheroes that kids love ONLY because movies are out there. With those being 2 DC (Superman and Batbitch) and 1Marvel(Spiderman). Kids know jack shit about superheros, they only like them because things blow up excessively. Walk up to any superhero obsessed child under 11 and ask them who Aquaman,Hawkgirl, and Martian Manhunter are, they wont have a clue. SW is just another wildlife park, exempt with water. And DW is what claims to be thrill rides, but is essentially a giant kids playground. They have as much kid oriented stuff as the Cavill St Mall's Timezone has things that move and/or give you seizures.

Spiderman?

The Luna Park in Melbourne doesn't have enough room and needs to expand beyond it's original 1912 boundaries(Like that's ever going to happen!), I think they should have a walkway going underneath the Scenic Railway to a new section of the park on the Palais Theatre side, In fact I care not for the theatre, and if it was demolished so they could expand the park(being that the same company owns both the theatre and the park) I wouln't give a shit about the theatre(these are a dime a dozen still in Melbourne) and would support a bigger park. I've never been a fan of live music, etc. Even though a new modern small rollercoaster would fit at the park in it's current Size, it would require the demolition/sale of the Metropolis obviously. They had the chance to pick up Segaworld's Rail Chase a long time ago... and they passed it up for a bargain basement price... An insane decision to me, they choose to get several other Segaworld rides, but failed to realise Rail Chase was perfect to replace the, even at that time, old and cheap Metropolis. So why do you think they'd ever get a better coaster? Yeah obviously parts for Metropolis will be rare one day and it will be hard to maintain, but that's not the case at the moment. You never know though because the Coney Island Drop isn't that bad a new ride for a park that size and could have signified a possible change in attitude from Lindsay's crew... but I doubt it. Best hope is Sydney, who certainly have the room, but I doubt they'd want to try a new coaster anytime soon either, as it would inevitably bring back memories of the last time they tried to do something really big. And Politicians, contrary to popular belief, have long memories.

As has been stated, there is absolutely zero chance of the Palais theatre being demolished to make extra room for LPM. It is heritage listed and an extremely important part of the fabric of Melbourne. Wouldnt even be contemplated..not a very well thought out suggestion, sorry. I agree with you 100% about Railchase- this SHOULD have been picked up by one of our Luna Parks..it would have been a great addition to either of these parks. Metropolis is old..it really needs to go. There are PLENTY of other compact coasters that would fit well in this footprint. Hell, even a GCI woodie to hearken back to the days of the original Big Dipper would be great- put in a River Caves dark ride under it as well and you have 2 great modern attractions that bring the best of the old in with the new..win win!!

Agreed, I reckon most people on here just look at Cylone and laugh.

I do not think that this is the pervading opinion regarding Cyclone. It is not a bad coaster at all- and as Original has pointed out, is far more effective now that it travels through and around Whitewaterworld. I DO find laughable the queue line- it is ridiculous and absolutely irrelevant. This needs to be changed I believe. Add in another train or better unload/load times ( it was run far better at LPS ) and this would help its reputation immensely!!

There is no chance the Palais theatre will be removed, I believe its heritage listed. If anything we will likely see the building restored to its former glory, I actually can't see any significant urban renewal going on St. Kilda with the extremely vocal community action groups. They block just about everything!Best bet for Luna Park in Melbourne is to look for some government support (unlikely) and for a significant investement from Lindsay Fox. Gut the parks existing carnival type rides and start again. Keep the Scenic Railway, the Merry-Go-Round, the Events/Fuction building, and the Ghost Train and work on the landscaping. Get some modern rides, rebrand the park and hope for the best.I wonder how profitable the park actually is?Back to Dreamworld.....

Great post Keadz!! I am a very vocal and great supporter of both Luna Parks and their place in Australian Theme Park history- I firmly believe that they must be retained and enhanced in order to survive. Neither will ever challenge the Gold Coast parks for sheer thrills or size but they remain extremely precious due to the attachment that people have to them. In regards to LPM I agree- it needs to be gutted bar the heritage listed items. Sure it is not a big park, but as Gazza has pointed out many times, size is really no obstacle to puttting in some world class attractions. Lynsday Fox promised so much when he bought the site and has delivered nothing....a bit of investment and a bit of vision ( See Aussie World) would see LPM rise from the ashes. Hopefully, something will occur soon!!

• 8 months later...

They need to do something about the Mine Ride. Why not make the mountain bigger. It can go over the pathway behind it and even the train track and have tunnels for the pathway and train to go through. Then with a bigger mountain a bigger, better Mine Ride can open. The cinema should be 4D. They can then show 4D Dreamworks films. Get rid of MDMC and restore the vintage cars back where they should be. Reopen the paddle steamer with a new bushranger show in the centre island. Improve the quality of their burger meals. Get rid of Shockwave. Build a wooden rollercoaster. Build a decent steal rollercoaster. Buy back land so there is room to expand Dreamworld in the future without destroying current attractions. They can build the shopping centre next to the Coomera train station - NOT Dreamworlds land.

They need to do something about the Mine Ride. Why not make the mountain bigger. It can go over the pathway behind it and even the train track and have tunnels for the pathway and train to go through. Then with a bigger mountain a bigger, better Mine Ride can open. The cinema should be 4D. They can then show 4D Dreamworks films. Get rid of MDMC and restore the vintage cars back where they should be. Reopen the paddle steamer with a new bushranger show in the centre island. Improve the quality of their burger meals. Get rid of Shockwave. Build a wooden rollercoaster. Build a decent steal rollercoaster. Buy back land so there is room to expand Dreamworld in the future without destroying current attractions. They can build the shopping centre next to the Coomera train station - NOT Dreamworlds land.

Wow...sure thing... Are you 12?? Most of your ideas are ridiculous, there no point putting forward ideas if there is 100% no chance they can possibly occur. They WILL NOT remove MDMC They WILL NOT remove Shockwave They may be not be amazing rides but attract decent crowds every day. They CANNOT buy back the land they sold to Westfield/GCCC - have u seen the Coomera Town Centre Master Plan? It's incorporates a 10km radius around the station - the land is all accounted for - just not a time frame - 2020 maybe? You can't simple 'build a bigger mountain & put a bigger mine ride in. That would involve massive inconvenience to existing rides & infrastructure. Closing multiple rides during construction is not worth the Hassle. Build a steal coaster Build a woodie Sure, we'd all like that - I don't think we'll ever see a Woodie at DW - fingers crossed for a decent steal coaster one day.