What should MW and DW's next roller coasters be?

POP

A $3 million roller coaster would be good for AW but not MW or DW imo... They'd realistically have to spend 15$ for a decent coaster. At the bare minimum these days.

By all accounts a GCI Big Fun are great to ride and a very decent ride. If DW or MW can pick up a decent coaster for $3million why is this seen as a barrier for them to get one?? That's a ridiculous argument. Besides i think you will find that $ 3million would be out of reach for Aussie World at this present time. That represents a very large investment on one attraction for a park of its size and capabability. Maybe in 5 years time...

What century are you's living in? No one wants to ride a old looking wooden coaster.

Good wooden coasters provide some of the best experiences going- you obviously have not ridden a world class wooden coaster. When you do I think that you will find that you will change your tune. Bush Beast at Wonderland ( by no means being a world class ride) was the one of the most popular rides in the park. I think your perception of the public and wooden coasters is waaay of the mark.

Except not Ghost Rider at Knotts Berry Farm. That is an example of the upkeep needed for Wooden roller coasters. As well as the Scenic railway at LPM which is falling apart due to lack of upkeep.

Scenic Railway is not falling apart due to lack of upkeep at all. It is a heritage listed attraction. It has a caveat on it that states it must be kept to a certain standard. LPM are continually doing work on the ride and as you can imagine, it is a upkeep intensive ride ( Name a 1911 original ride that isnt!!). They have done some sterling work on the track and supports and the trains have recently had a face lift. Scenic Railway will continue to thrill the young and old for many years to come- it and the Carousel are the jewel in LPM's crown. Just recently, they gifted copies of the schematics of the trains to Dreamland in Margate , to aid in their restoration and rebuild of the UK's oldest rollercoaster. To say that it is falling apart is entirely innacurate. -_-

By all accounts a GCI Big Fun are great to ride

Well considering they have yet to build one I'll assume you were reading 'accounts' for another one of their coasters.

Typed into YouTube 'worst roller coaster ever' and then tell me what thumbnails show up first.

Yeah I'm sorry but until you actually ride a modern wooden coaster you can't actually comment. Have been on Terminator at SFMM and that was a great ride! Your post kinda reminds me of that member DW_Rulz from ages back who tried to tell people who had ridden good wooden coasters that they were crap....even though he himself had never been on one. With respect to the maitenance of a wooden coaster...IMO the route to go down is one by Rocky Mountain Coasters with wood profile/topper track (Like New Texas Giant, and the yet to be named project at Silver Dollar City)..While not techically a true woodie, they have the look of one. Plus New Texas Giant is my #1 coaster, so I may be a bit biased :P I don't like the chances of a woodie here to be honest. We don't have an off season like most US/Euro parks have to do the large amounts of maintenance needed.

The almost tropical climate doesn't help this either.

Random side note, but DjRappa writing "almost tropical" saved my sanity from seeing the word "subtropical". Just wrote a research paper based around "subtropical" housing, so have seen/typed that word too many times in the past week or so. To the topic..Coasters I want to see here I think are realistic. -Zacspin (Yes, I know they aren't the long coaster people are yearning for, but they are one of the best coaster types out there IMHO -Intamin Megalite/Mack Equivalent -Maurer/Gerstlauer spinning coaster....I'd sooner trust the Gerstlauer one mechanically though. -Possibly a Rocky mountain woodie, but it would require due dilligence on the park installing it to work out how much maintenance it actually needs. Edited by Gazza

Scenic Railway is not falling apart due to lack of upkeep at all. It is a heritage listed attraction. It has a caveat on it that states it must be kept to a certain standard. LPM are continually doing work on the ride and as you can imagine, it is a upkeep intensive ride ( Name a 1911 original ride that isnt!!). They have done some sterling work on the track and supports and the trains have recently had a face lift. Scenic Railway will continue to thrill the young and old for many years to come- it and the Carousel are the jewel in LPM's crown. Just recently, they gifted copies of the schematics of the trains to Dreamland in Margate , to aid in their restoration and rebuild of the UK's oldest rollercoaster. To say that it is falling apart is entirely innacurate. -_-

So weeds and plants growing through the track and pieces of the supports rotted completely through (and nothing done to replace it causing a safety issue) is not bad upkeep.

Public would go nuts for a crazy woody but no park here is gonna touch one for the upkeep. The almost tropical climate doesn't help this either.

They could purchase a hybrid woodie. Both Intamin and the Gravity Group have hybrid wooden coaster offerings which are more a steel coaster designed like a wooden coaster. They'd theoretically require less upkeep and wouldn't rot away.

Yeah I'm sorry but until you actually ride a modern wooden coaster you can't actually comment. Have been on Terminator at SFMM and that was a great ride!

Really? Was Terminator a great ride? Skip to 1:41 of this video and see their reactions. If anyone was too lazy to watch the video some of the reactions were 'this was the worst ride ever', 'that was awful', 'that was terrible', 'the ride was absolutely awful, it was not fun'.
Overall nobody expect you people want an ugly wooden coaster that looks like it was made in someones backyard. What would you rather? A new steel B&M or Giga or a big useless waist of space Wooden Coaster. Anyway, you's can keep dreaming because I doubt Dreamworld will be releasing a new roller coaster anytime soon. Edited by kujotess

Overall nobody expect you people want an ugly wooden coaster that looks like it was made in someones backyard. What would you rather? A new steel B&M or Giga or a big useless waist of space Wooden Coaster. Anyway, you's can keep dreaming because I doubt Dreamworld will be releasing a new roller coaster anytime soon.

Ride a Wooden Coaster and then you might have an argument - Till then your negative perspective on this topic has absolutely no substance.

What would you rather? A new steel B&M or Giga or a big useless waist of space Wooden Coaster.

Huh? You make it sound as if DW has the choice between a Giga or a wooden coaster. A leading question. It's like someone from Melbourne saying..Would you rather go on holiday to Dreamworld, or to Disney? I mean, obviously you'd pick Disney, but that doesn't mean you can actually afford the trip to Disney. I mean, obviously if it were the choice between a $30,000,000 Giga, or a $10,000,000 woodie I'd pick the giga because it's the bigger ride. But if it were the choice between a $10,000,000 Woodie and a $10,000,000 Motocoaster. Or heck even a $3,000,000 Big fun woodie, and a $6,000,000 Buzzsaw, I'd take the woodie for sure. I'm suprised you can't see where people are coming from in this respect.

Overall nobody expect you people want an ugly wooden coaster that looks like it was made in someones backyard.

Ugh but that video review was by some girl who isn't necessarily representative. And the GP aren't necessarily right. If you're going to pull that argument, look what the GP were saying about the Skyrush POV when Hersheypark first released it: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3668999517465

This the new coaster? ...And no loops?

:(

No loops, no corkscrews, would probably be a one time ride only.

Im sorry but this ride does not look all that great ..I'm a big roller coaster fan and I know what roller coasters are ..this is not that much of an exciting intense ride :/ sorry I would have to ride it to get the full experience but by the look of it ..it doesn't look good

If it's anything like King Da Ka in 6 flags Great Adventure it is gonna SUCK!!! ALL HYPE just because it's the highest and fastest. Give me that add loops and corkscrews then we are talking a MEGA COASTER!!!! Having only One big hill is just plain lame to me. It just gives you enough time to start to settle into the ride wanting more only to be extremely disappointed that the hill height and speed was all it had to offer. King da ka was a Mega Disappointment and this looks like it will be as well ; {

other than the beginniing hill, doesn't seem like much else to it.

:( don't like won't share

Considering they raised the admission price again this year and all the hype about the new ride, I expected a lot more out of this coaster. Big yawn! Hate to say it but I'm leaning more to six flags or dorney park this year.

ooks boring - my 8 yr old is bummed out. Wish they'd listen to the polls the newspaper does each year - and every year the people vote that a haunted house would be nice - or do a coaster that sets some sort of record.

Point is, finding one small set of opinions is not representative. Obviously all those people saying Skyrush was going to be boring were a bit wrong. Here's someone on a Wooden Coaster loving it :
Even little kids love it:
Edited by Gazza

If this or something like it was to turn up in a park in Australia I am sure the bad mouthing of wooden coasters would stop somewhat quickly! 113947d1340646168-neu-2013-holzachterbahn-silver-dollar-city-silver_dollar_city_6_16.jpg Image from http://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/4097-neu-2013-holzachterbahn-silver-dollar-city-2.html To be honest screw steel coasters for now. Our parks need a traditional wooden or one of these new crazy modern style coasters. Almost every major park in the world has their coaster collection anchored by at least one wooden coaster. Companies like Rocky Mountain are also pioneering new things in wooden coasters too. Look at the "New Texas Giant" for an example of what can be done with a wooden coaster or the one under construction at SDC as shown in the image. That is one hell of an overbank (possibly zero-g roll) and it is being featured on a wooden coaster.

Edited by pin142

Welcome to America. Where the people are up themselves, and EVERY coaster must be over 9000 KP/H, and have loops and corkscrews. Look at the comments for SD's Manta, a large amount of comments actually said that even if it is a family coaster it should be ILLEGAL to not have loops. Aparrently EVERY coaster overthere must be catered for the "thrill audience". Honestly Skyrush looks really well done, and Manta's making me drool. they were both well executed, and even though i try my best to stay clear of anything really steep with lap bars (buzzsaw, El Toro etc.) with Rip Ride Rocket probally pushing the boundaries; I'd love a woodie. A woodie and probally GL would be the ones to get me over the line. A wooden coaster at DW would be a godsend to make up for 2008.

Really? Was Terminator a great ride? Skip to 1:41 of this video and see their reactions. If anyone was too lazy to watch the video some of the reactions were 'this was the worst ride ever', 'that was awful', 'that was terrible', 'the ride was absolutely awful, it was not fun'.

Yes, Apocalypse/Terminator (made in 2009) was great, as was Colossus (made in 1971) and Ghostrider (made in 1998). They are the only wooden coasters I've been on and I have to say Ghostrider would be in my top 3 favourite coasters. You look at them and think they look boring because there's no inversions, but they carry a decent amount of speed and get their effects from airtime hills and head choppers. Sure they take up a lot of space, but they last ages and (if done right) can soak up more of a crowd than a standard "everyones already been on one of these" steel coasters.

Yeah, Ghostrider is an awesome coaster. One of my favourites :) El Toro is great as well. The thing is, Dreamworld seems to view Buzzsaw as their 'Big' ride that they get every few years, so do we really expect them to spend the money on a decent coaster (woodie or not) anytime soon?

Why are you so negative? I don't share the opinion of Ghostrider. When I was on it I couldn't wait to get off. It was so rough. I don't know if it has always been that bad but in its current shape it feels like my organs are trying to change places.

That's what I loved about it! The rough, crazy, out of control, wild ride! Very different to what you get with steel coasters, and that's why I want one here in Aus.

That's what I loved about it! The rough, crazy, out of control, wild ride! Very different to what you get with steel coasters, and that's why I want one here in Aus.

lol I made the mistake of going on ghost rider... TWICE in a row :/ I make a habit of sitting at the back of rollercoasters but it was a huge mistake on this one. Didn't really make a difference though as I tried the middle. By the end of it my spine had not only punctured my brain but had compressed about 12 inches. I don't think I've ever had a more unpleasant experience in my life haha.

What made DW want to spend the big bucks in the first place and why can't we seem to get back there?

In 1995, Dreamworld was purchased by a Singaporean businessman named Kua Phek Long. Within a year, the Tower of Terror was under construction and I am sure plans for the Giant Drop would have been underway. In 1998, during the Giant Drop's construction, Dreamworld was purchased by Macquarie Leisure (later renamed to Ardent Leisure).

In 1995, Dreamworld was purchased by a Singaporean businessman named Kua Phek Long. Within a year, the Tower of Terror was under construction and I am sure plans for the Giant Drop would have been underway. In 1998, during the Giant Drop's construction, Dreamworld was purchased by Macquarie Leisure (later renamed to Ardent Leisure).

Ahh thanks for that. So Ardent Leisure has been spending a bit over the years but really have yet to make a big purchase on one big ride compared to the last owner. Hopefully that will change soon. They have tried everything else :)