thunderbolt update

kennykoala

I visited dreamworld today 7/03 and the thunderbolt has all the middle section gone and two piles of metal piled like rubbish in the centre area of thunderbolt. The lift hill and a little section of the first drop are still there, aswell as the two loops, (which dreamworld is keeping i was told today!) and the only other part standing is the two sections that go over the top of the station area just after the loops. I have aquied two footer bolts :) yeah!! and should hopefully be recieving a wheel from the coaster!! (hopefully i should have a wheel next week from friend :) also for ppl that have passes and go to the bb cafe for happy hour, they have canned it! they dont advertise that promo anymore, but for now u can just ask and youll get it. I also have pics of my footer bolts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

With keeping the loops, now I'm not the sort of person who get's too sentimental about things, but am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of keeping the loops as some sort of memorial to Thunderbolt? It's just incredibly tacky to me. It's a part of their history granted, but they made the decision to remove the ride, because it simply didn't perform and was incredibly outdated - is it really worthy of fanfare?

With keeping the loops, now I'm not the sort of person who get's too sentimental about things, but am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of keeping the loops as some sort of memorial to Thunderbolt? It's just incredibly tacky to me. It's a part of their history granted, but they made the decision to remove the ride, because it simply didn't perform and was incredibly outdated - is it really worthy of fanfare?
YES AND No It would be good to see a part of the coaster there but 2 big loop there would look a bit tacty, I think they should restore the from car of the Thunder Bolt and keep that near the from entrance or something like that.

Nah! I think it would be really cool if they built a new roller-coaster and left Thunderbolt's loops there, it would look really cool as if part of the new roller-coaster had rusted away. It would make a great theme! And make it even more scary for the guests!

Thunderbolt was the ride that made Dreamworld the great park it is. The visually striking image from the Highway is a landmark and I think should Dreamworld decide to retain it, it would be a great idea. Adults will be able to take their kids to the park and point out what could have been the first rollercoaster they rode. I think it would be incorporated well into whatever plans Dreamworld has made for the former coaster site. Retaining the train also would provide a great photo opportunity.

I'd have to disagree with that one. Thunderbolt wasn't really the ride that made Dreamworld what it is today (the debatable Australian theme park great). The park had a reasonably shakey first ten years - meanwhile this same period at Sea World was quite strong. It went into receivership and very nearly closed in the 90's. It was Wipeout that ultimately saved the park, which was built by the receivers essentially as a last attempt to save the park. When I visited Dreamworld as a child, I was left with these fantastic memories of Dreamworld as this magical place. It had this atmosphere that truly got me hooked. You know what made it a great park to me? The Captain Sturt hats you could purchase in Rivertown. The place had atmosphere. That is what made the park great, not two loops, or any single attraction for that matter. The Dreamworld we visit today is not the same as the one that many of us grew up with. Children today won't look back in 10 or 15 years time and think fondly of that charming park called Dreamworld. They'll remember a park with great rides, lots of fun, but it just won't have that feel to it. It's hardly a visually striking image since Cyclone (intentionally) blocked virtually any view of Thunderbolt to anyone zooming past at 110km/hr. I just hope they don't move it elsewhere. I don't think

Yes I'd agree with you Richard things have certainly changed a lot since the days when I was a lad...and I still have one of those captain hats :-) I do remember the place as being very different when I would visit with my parents all those years ago. This is the time like pre-wipout and wildlife park and all that stuff. I suppose its nice that we have some of that stuff now but I will always miss some of the 'character' the place had. Most of this down in the rivertown areas, the Model T's really haven't been the same since TOT went flying over the top. I for one though am happy to see the loops stay. If you all recall I was the one that actually sugested this many months ago...would be funny if the park got the idea from there :-p I don't see it so much as tacky but rather just leaving a landmark in place which is really what they are. I will give you the point though that if they are to leave them there they really need to increase their presence from the highway. I think its a better way of doing things than simply removing any trace that the ride ever existed which is what you see when most other parks remove rides...

I agree. If the park manages to stay open for many more years to come (here's hoping) one day the loops will have a much more historical significance and the park will be grateful they kept them. However, if they are planning to keep the loops standing where they are and they end up getting in the way of a new ride or attraction then that won't be such a good thing. That land is now very valuable so if neccesary I think it would be okay to move the loops... but only if there is no other way around it

just a quick note, the other day when i was at dreams, when i was watching the thunderbolt being put into trucks b4 i spoke to bob, he had a tape measure on two two pieces of corner track, the only to pieces in full pieces. i wonder if they are going to do something with those too! he was with a worker measuring the lengt hand was making alot of hand gestiures. Its just interesting that thate rest of the track is cut into tiny scrao and we still have two full corner pieces? see ya

just a quick note, the other day when i was at dreams, when i was watching the thunderbolt being put into trucks b4 i spoke to bob, he  had a tape measure on two two pieces of corner track, the only to pieces in full pieces. i wonder if they are going to do something with those too! he was with a worker measuring the lengt hand was making alot of hand gestiures. Its just interesting that thate rest of the track is cut into tiny scrao and we still have two full corner pieces? see ya
How long were the corner peice? They might mount the train on it for like a thingy for the thunderbolt??

I agree, leaving the loops there sounds mighty tacky. Surely, it would just add to the clutter of the area, and let's face it, a lot of areas at DW do look very cluttered. The only way I can see this working, assuming they continue the Ocean Parade theme, is if they somehow work the loops to make it look like the coaster has been washed away by a huge tidal wave or something....But that's stretching things a lil :P

I was personally thinking of using it as a huge advertisement board. What I mean is that the front of the park has a huge board for people on the highway that says "DROP IN AGAIN!" and what better idea is to take that down and place a small, lengthy sign from one side of the left loop, to the opposite side of the loop. And what would look even cooler if they welded one of the trains permanantly on the track so it would look like it is.... kind of going... Anyone get what i'm saying?

That’s a really great idea, Slick! But, what would be even cooler is if they took one of the loops and placed it out the front of the theme park, and as you said. Instead - the left to the right side of the loop could have their park logo stuck right in the middle “Dreamworld” how cool would that look! I could just imagine driving past the thunderbolt loop with their company logo on the front, what a great improvement that would make to Dreamworld!

Welded Slick? :P WTF? I think they probably could be made to look alright if they stayed there. Get another fountain kind of thing happening around it. If they do leave them there, they're definitely not going to look 'tacky'. Dreamworld are better than that. Piss them off I say anyway, but if they're there, so be it, they'll look fine.

How long were the corner peice? They might mount the train on it for like a thingy for the thunderbolt??
the two corner pieces are large ones, if they put them together they would easily be able to get the entire train on. i was thinking they might make a display and put the train on it, but i think it would lokk cool midway on the loop.