Possible New Coaster for Luna Park Melbourne?

alex_1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465335906817562&set=a.373013899383097.90936.290954260922395&type=1&relevant_count=1 Read the comment made by the page in regards to previous comments.

"We are overflowing with Lunie vision for the Park, and there are definite changes happening at the end of the year! (Including a shake up to the Metropolis!) Keep patient, we promise it will be worth the wait!"

Nothing's confirmed of course, but it's certainly a promising thing to hear (or read). I'm not sure what a shake up to Metropolis means, but hopefully that means it'll be gone for good and something new and shiny will take its place. Let the speculation begin!

• 2 weeks later...

The Zoomerang/Demon coaster would be the worst procurement decision in history. This is not going to happen. It's a wet dream. You need to move on. Nowhere have LPM actually stated that they have procured a new ride- nothing has been confirmed. At the moment it is your assumptions that are fueling the fire. All that's been said is that they have definite big plans for the 100 year anniversary. NOTHING has been confirmed at this point. Please just stick to reporting the actual facts and not get them or other posters confused with your wild speculations!! There is nothing wrong with speculating( we all indulge in that from time to time )it's just wrong to pass these off as an absolute.

What they have confirmed is that they actually have bought(or are planning to buy/manufacture) a few new "attractions"(The reason I'm excited!), and openly stated that Metropolis is going to be "shaken up". They HAVE said they have got new "attractions"(Rides) in the works, so you're wrong about that. I leave it at that for now. Also Zoomerang wouldn't be the worst procurement decision in histroy.... Metropolis WAS.....

No you are the one mistaken I am afraid. As per Gazza's post above, LPM have NOT at anytime stated that they have procured a new ride. It specifically stated attraction. This could mean a show, a fireworks spectacular- anything BUT a ride!!! Nowhere on the Facebook page have they stated that "they have bought ( or are planning to buy/manufacture!!) anything!!! Yes they have confirmed that there ARE new attractions coming but there is NO infomation what so ever on what shape or form they will take. Once again, assumption on your part. Yes I did read that Metropolis will be "shaken up" . This was a very vague inference to me. Instead of replacing this attraction, it COULD mean that they will be refurbishing this ride under a new name or theme!! I am with you though on hoping that it will be replaced..... As for you stating that Metropolis being the worst procurement decision in history...I can probably once again accept that...but I cannot condone you championing a 24 year old 4th hand old ride as being in your words " cool!!" It would be atrocious!!

I know I'm excited, but you can understand why surely..... "Metropolis Shake-up", "New TVC campaign" and "new attractions" is enough... Also on their 100th anniversary, somehow I don't think it will be prisonbreak live(which funny enough I went to!).I mean since when does a Luna Park advertise on TV with a professional campaign? this must be big..

Look I love your enthusiasm!! I really do!!! I love both Luna Parks and their respective,important places in Australian theme park history!! I would love nothing better than to see both of them get the investment that they richly deserve. However in this instance we MUST separate the fact from speculation. Enthusiasm definitely has its place but do not let it blind you to WHAT might actually occur. I agree that this is a fantastic opportunity in LPM's history for something significant to commence. The cynic in me is just nagging my brain enough to feel that we all might be very disappointed with the end result, however. And for the record, Luna Park has advertised on TV many, many times before. There is nothing unusual or overly significant in this happening!! So please feel free to speculate away!! As before, though, please do not report that said speculation as being the set in stone truth. I will always point out any innacuracies like these. Thanks for your excitement and interest though!! :D

Sarcasm aside, as I said there is nothing wrong with that Alex1. The point is that speculation is good. Mixing that up with the facts is not. I for one, like RichardCollins, am extremely excited about this upcoming centenary for LPM. I fervently hope for a new coaster as well, however I am cautious as to what will actually appear. So like Gazza, I am gonna wait for an official announcement before passing judgement.

Probably not the right place for it, but found this while searching youtube for Luna Park commercials. There are a few Sydney ones online, but didn't spot any Melbourne ones. I did find this nice video of the park from 1975 though...

Reason for Edit: Can't seem to get the embedding feature to work, tips anyone? Edited by strop

Its quite sad looking at that video. Back in the day LPM would've been the number one spot for families to visit for rides etc, and it would've been heaving with families, just like the original Coney Island. But now, seaside parks have had a shadow cast over them by corporate parks, and LPM has really gone to shit. :/

RichardWilliamCollins is STILL banging on about how good Zoomerang/Demon would be for LPM on Facebook!! This is what he has to say in the latest posting....... Richard William Collins It's the major rollercoaster ride availible on the market at the moment. That's the reason why they should get it, it's what's avalible at the moment. And honestly why not?? They could build a new ride, but that would be more expensive than... giving the Zoomerang a new lease on life.. Besides it was originally suppose to go to LPM in the first place way back in '90 before they realised how hard it would be to install back then. $1.8 mill aussie dollars would bring it "home" as opposed to about $8 million for a brand new steel coaster. And as you said it won't be a new ride due to construction time.... So I offered Zoomerang up, it's on the market, it could be brought home in time and installed at the park. The Ride has been kept in great condition and was refurbished in it's stateside home as late as 2010." Let it goooo mate!!! This was never going to be a good idea, and its never going to materialise or happen!!! Can anyone else help him see the light?? Its getting painful...... -_-

We need Bussy or someone else fro WLS back here to give the real deal on how bad of a condition the ride is in. But ugh seriously RWC, give it up, Boomerangs are shocking rides. I'm sure getting a new train can improve the ride experience a bit, but once you factor in the cost of that, and the footings for a relocated coaster (Footings make up approx half the cost of a ride installation) it would be getting close to the cost of an actual good new coaster. Not - - - gonna - - - happen . PS RWC, when did you last ride a Boomerang?

I don't really have a problem with Boomerangs on the whole per se, I just have a problem with a 24 year old 4th hand example of the type being touted as a "cool" solution for a replacement coaster! There are FAR better examples that deliver bigger thrills in a much more reliable and cost effective package. LPM would be mad to even consider ( and I do not for one minute think they actually are!!) Zoomerang over a modern , new solution!

Richard William Collins The Ride has been kept in great condition and was refurbished in it's stateside home as late as 2010."

• [*]It's had 3 previous homes [*]At wonderland, it leaked fluid like no tomorrow [*]The track has been cut, and rewelded - in several places - several times [*]Regardless of refurbishment - you can polish manure - but it's still shit.

You're finished. I'm not. It might be cheap to buy - but that thing has got more problems than any new attraction ever has. What they'll save on purchase, they'll spend on maintenance. It's like buying a 25 year old pus-box magna instead of a relatively new modelled cheap car (like a Chery). They may both have their problems, but one has manufacturers warranty, available parts and service personnel trained on its maintenance requirements. A 25 year old shitbox that you can't get parts for - and have to custom make them, technology so far out of date you'd need to re-train your maintenance staff, the hardware (track and supports etc) being the same age, having been viciously cut (it was taken down at wonderland by a demolition crew, not a relocation crew - they didn't care what happened to it), and then gingerly pieced together by an engineering crew at the other end who had problems again and again with it, even after they'd opened. Point is - that ride has leprosy. Anyone who takes it on should be made fully aware of its past. I said before - theres a reason its still on the market - and it's not a good reason like the asking price being too high or anything of that nature. I'm not 100% - i think it was Nev involved in the reconstruction - he could attest to these problems (as could Bussy to a lesser extent). At the end of the day - Titan Demon Zoomerang is NOT AN OPTION. I appreciate you want to drop the subject because you're getting called on it, but stop spruiking it as being an option AT ALL. Regardless of the conversion rate, regardless of whether it would fit in the space, or whether it was originally planned to go in there in the first place - it's had its day. its dead and its done.

I perhaps agree, but it wouldn't have actually been a problem of Space(Metropolis only uses up roughly a third or Half the footprint that the Dipper left, and frankly it's really time the old Giggle Palace went the way of the old past rides, it's either in need of a refurbishment or even a demolision). The problem LPM really would have had is that one reason major perminant attractions rarely appear at the park is because getting construction vehicles into the park is difficult, especially ones that are loaded with parts. That's why they found it too difficult to install Zoomerang, when originally planned in '90, at the park(would have been difficult to keep the park open while installing the ride), as Big Dipper's space was pretty close to the front gate. Why do you think all they could get as equipment to rescue those rider's stranded on Metropolis that time was a solitary Cherry Picker! I've always thought Linfox, who also own the Palais, should consider punching through an arc under the Scenic Railway and expanding the park into the Palais's area. If it would appease "Live music fans", keep the Palais, knock down the old Kitchen area, or Giggle Palace as it was once known, in LPM, refurbish the Palais so it's more like the Big Top, or whatever you call that major function area at Luna Park Sydney, replace Metropolis and GP/Kitchen with a much bigger roller coaster(and a few other rides too, even could put a small cafe there). As LPM no longer has gated admission, they could just punch that arc thorough, put a pedestrian crossing to the Palais there and leave it as an open area(a secondary enterance). Begin treating it all as the same general complex. Linfox arguebally planned this when they proposed redeveloping the site, but as usual it was denied.

Ok if you are going to post in a public domain like this firstly you had better ensure your facts are correct. Which on several points they are not. Let me illuminate you. 1) I assume "The Giggle Palace" you are referring to is the large building in the middle of the park. This has never, ever in LPM's history, been known as the Giggle Palace. It was originally built in 1927, to house upstairs the new ride of the time, the Dodgems, whilst the lower level was home to the "Whip" ride. This building is original and is heritage listed. It cannot and will not, even if Lydnsay Fox desired it, be earmarked for demolition. The building that WAS the Giggle Palace was located to the left of the Entrance face as you walked in, right where the Twin Dragon ride now resides. This was a funhouse very similar to LPS's Coney Island.It suffered a fire in 1981 and along with the River Caves, was demolished. 2) The reason Titan was NOT installed at the park in 1990 was not due to it being too difficult to install, but political will. St Kilda Council had issues with the ride which delayed the sale, and it went to Wonderland instead. 3) You describe punching a hole in the Scenic Railway and incorporating LPM into the Palais Theatre area . This type of change would never happen to the Scenic Railway as per heritage order on it. The Palais Theatre also has strict heritage orders on it, limiting what modifications can actually be done. Not going to happen. There already is a secondary entrance from the park, it has existed since the park was first built. Its a service entrance opposite the Palais Theatre and was built to accomodate a wider entrance area for the park's use. 4) You cannot completely fill the footprint of the Old Big Dipper without making some major moves in the park. Two rides, the G Force and The Pharoah's Curse, sit at the back of the park right where the original Dipper abutted the Scenic Railway. To use this space you would have to relocate these rides within the park or remove them entirely. At the moment, the available space is where the Metropolis sits and a small portion behind the Dodgem building. A little bit of research will help you form your posts to a more coherent and palatable form, than the drivel that you have been serving up in the last few days. Also, just wondering why on FB, you replied to a poster; that when you post here on Parkz, you go by Richard William Collins my nickname on that site is "Colliric" August 6 at 4:27pm · This is completely untrue, as all your postings can attest to. You have something to hide?? :o

The person mistook me for someone else. I never mentioned what that person said I did. Usually on most Forum sites my nick is colliric, so i had a temporary brainfade assuming that's why the person made the mistake. They thought I was Alex, and said I had created the thread which wasn't the case.

Oh really?? Funny thats not what his reply reflected, as you can see!! It seems to me that he knew exactly who you were and what was being said!! It doesnt tie up with what you are saying however!! Another brainfade?? Or another lie??? " Actually no you post under the name of "Richard William Collins" but thats just semantics. And yes I am aware it was not you who started the thread- I was just saying as you also directly quoted me in it!! Thats all!!"

I am aware of issues 2(It was the Park's decision alone, as meeting the Council's regulations would have been more costly for Titan as opposed to the easier to install Metropolis) and 3(I'm actually proposing this enterance be widened and reveloped and the public be able to enter through that enterance). I should have known of 1 and 4 already, but I wasn't scrutinizing myself enough. As I said, the Area behind the dodgems(now known as the Kitchen), combined with Metropolis is big enough to host something of comparable size to Green Lantern(with room to spare).

You werent scrutinising yourself enough?? No, just poor research, poor knowledge, trying to pass yourself off as being an authority on a given subject when you are CLEARLY not. Just cut the lies and the bullshit. They can be seen quite easily and you do not come across as being clever, just incredibly deficient.

• 1 month later...