Possible New Coaster for Luna Park Melbourne?

alex_1

So the announcement for the new rides at LPM is drawing closer..apparently all will be revealed on Thursday!! Now that we know that Metropolis is definitely gone for good, what coaster do you feel will be a likely candidate?? As much as RWC is hoping for a Zamperla spinner themed to Coney Island's Tickler, I feel that Zamperla as a ride manufacturer might not be too far off the mark. A Spinning Zamperla coaster is a definite possibility ( doubtful on the Tickler Theme) but it could also be very easily a Volare , Zamperla Steeplechase or Motocoaster. My personal preference would be for a Maurer Sohne Spinning Coaster. However, it is conceivable that a Gerslauter Eurofighter or even a Intamin Zacspin could fit the bill. What is very certain is that it will not be a wooden coaster , so no updated Big Dipper clone's for historical fans like myself. The most interesting thing is that LPM has consistently stated "attractions". Given that the footprint left by Metropolis is not really ALL that big, and the fact that space is a premium in LPM, we could see a new coaster and another new attraction developed together in the existing space. The only other possibility is the removal of one or two of the existing rides to accomodate the new one(s). Time will tell, but this is certainly the most exciting news for LPM since the early 2000's. Back then, the park was redeveloped and the Metropolis was due to be replaced with a coaster (possibly a Pinfari Looper) called Vortex. This never eventuated and Metropolis was given a stay of execution. Hopefully what eventuates is not underwhelming, but is befitting for the celebration of a park of its stature,celebrating its centenary year. I remain optimistic that whatever new attractions arrive,they remain sympathetic to the past, whilst ushering in the new. Thoughts??

Edited by Jobe

Not sure what to make of it, but the head of LPM had previously stated she wanted the Rotor and Giggle Palace to be rebuilt.... So that's another possibility(though I doubt it for obvious cost reasons), after all they've confirmed there will be "1912" celebrations. Or was it the River Caves?

The return of any of these attractions would be a cause for great celebrations!! I am doubtful of it, but if just one of the new attractions is one of those you have listed, then this will be fanatstic news!! The River Caves would be the most desirable to have yet would be the most costly of the three.I think that would pretty much rule it out straight away. The Giggle Palace has been publicly targeted by Lyndsay Fox as being his number one attraction to return to the park. A new modern take on a 1930's funhouse?? Yes please!! The question and issue would be space. Where would it be placed?? The original Giggle Palace resided on the left hand side of the face entrance where the Twin Dragon and Spider are currently placed. Of the three, The Rotor would be the logical ride to return from the past. Its footprint is quite small, and it would be relatively inexpensive to re-build. Coupled with this, there is a interview floating around somewhere with LPM's Maintenance Manager stating that they were seriously looking at re-introducing the Rotor at some point in the future. This could prove to be that time!!

I seriously doubt we will be seeing a permanent installation of the coaster. 1 month is no where near enough time for it to be a permanent model. I also don't see how this makes a mockery of Dreamworlds installation this year? Luna Park Melbourne is getting 2 already seen in Australia carnival rides, Dreamworld are getting a brand new, first in Australia attraction, permanent installation attraction.

^It seems like they have mistaken Power Surge for a coaster. From what I can see, the Power Surge and the Crazy Coaster will be temporary Summer attractions only. After that If Metropolis is definitely not coming back, then I'm guessing that area will stay empty until the next summer when they do the same thing; bring in show rides for the school holidays.

I'm extremely bitterly disappointed. What the actual hell are they thinking? Of all times to release plans to make Luna Park an actual decent park like it was in the old days their 100th anniversary would be perfect. The best part is how they're trying to evade the fact that their "BIG plans" suck on the Facebook page with cookie cutter replies about how great summer will be with their returning carnival flat ride and crappy temporary coaster Bad job, Luna Park. To think I let myself get excited. /rant about how much Luna Park sucks. By the way RWC, have you actually ridden a Reverchon/Zamperla spinner? They're definitely nothing to get excited over at all.

Edited by alex_1

I'm struggling to understand how an amusement park based in melbourne would have any impact or effect on another amusement park thousands of miles away, simply by... as you say... 'modelling themselves after' said park... How does that help Coney Island 'get back on it's feet? Your fixations with insisting that LPM is doing something, only to reveal later that they weren't is becoming really annoying. And why should a park model a ride (if they actually do get a fixed-install) on one in another park thousands of miles away? How many people would make the connection? How many of those would care? Wouldn't it be better to keep the park as unique and individual as possible, so it isn't just a clone of another park that someone might have already been to? Lastly, may I direct you to the dictionary, for terms such as PERMANENT, rather than Perminant. I don't mean to go all grammar nazi on you, but please try putting your posts through a spell-checker first... it makes what you write extremely difficult to read (and believe me - making your posts in anyway easier to read is absolutely necessary.)

Quick question, but who is to say Zamperla hadn't insured...They might not be taking a loss at all. Hey what if Europa Park had a disaster...Should everyone help out by purchasing a Mack ride? Or is Mont Cascades had a disaster should everyone buy a Proslide?

Yet Coney Island's(Inc the Luna Park) immediate future is in doubt... Go figure. And besides going on the previous install, it would be alot more than "a few measly thousand dollars", more like half a million(to a million) or so? How much did the Drop cost exactly?

So the profit margin on one ride install makes a meaningful contribution to a whole damaged park?

Yet Coney Island's(Inc the Luna Park) immediate future is in doubt... Go figure. And besides going on the previous install, it would be alot more than "a few measly thousand dollars", more like half a million(to a million) or so? How much did the Drop cost exactly?

Luna Park Coney Island's immediate future is NOT in doubt. You need to get your facts right- YET again!! This was posted on Themepark Review. "Thanks for posting this. I'll be there tomorrow helping out, after doing some local help on Staten Island today. The volunteers are needed to clean up the neighborhood, not the parks. The owners of Luna Park are enticing volunteers with the amusement park wristband for helping out. Luna Park, Scream Zone and The Cyclone have already been cleared by park employees. In fact, The Cyclone just ran a test cycle today." I would also like to point out that the theme to the Tickler, Luna Park's spinning coaster, is in fact NOT really related to Luna Park at all. The face that adorns the cars of the Tickler belongs to George C Tilyou's Steeplechase Park and was its adopted masot. Steeplechase Park closed for good in 1962 and the current owners of Luna Park used the motif as a historical reminder of the fantastic history of Steeplchase Park and the important figure of George C Tilyou in Coney Island's development. It would therefore be inappropriate for LPM to utilise this motif as a theme as it really does not connect in any way with Luna Park Melbourne or even Luna Park Coney Island. post-30-0-00180600-1353062014_thumb.jpg Please check your facts before you gob on.

Incorrect, it was actually the original artistic inspiration for our, and subsequently also Sydney Luna Park's entrance face(ergo the "Mascot" is actually kind of the same character!). So you also need to check your facts as well, as that is pretty common knowledge. That's another reason why the motif has been used in representation of a "Luna Park Theme", as it has been used at other Luna Parks(as well as the old Steeplechase Park). Our own parks drew inspiration from that Coney Island park also(as our parks also included elements from other iconic Coney Island attractions, drawing on a general Coney Island theme). Although of cause LPM decided to add the iconic "open mouth" entrance to the original "Face" but it was otherwise the exact same character. ...as I said before, LP Man's face is all over it(his very original face is anyway!). Otherwise the rest of your post is actually pretty informative, thank you!

The Mr Moon character utilised by LPM and later LPS drew inspiration from the Steeplchase park clown face but that theme was NEVER ever used at Luna Park Coney Island.The Mr Moon character is very different from that which dominated Steeplechase Park. George C Tilyou's clown face is and always has been synonomous with Steeplchase Park. As I have stated in my earlier post, The Tickler (which was actually a ride located IN Steeplchase park) theme was utilised by Zamperla in the modern Luna Park to showcase the overall history of Coney Island. This represents the first time that the clown face has ever been assciated WITH Luna Park Coney Island. As far as an overall theme goes, I think it would be quite inappropriate for either of our Luna Parks to utilise this motif. It is not relevant to either history of our parks and the majority of the public would not recognise the small link that it does connect with them.

• 3 weeks later...