Possible New Coaster for Luna Park Melbourne?

alex_1

I'm surprised Mack are doing it, and not the likes of PTC.

My thoughts exactly Gazza. Have Mack ever undertaken a restoration of any coaster or trains of this vintage before?? Why Mack?? It really does not seem to fit their current ride focus.....however with Zamperla assisting in the rehab of the Coney Island Cyclone, it may just have some validity-however I have not seen this info ANYWHERE else....which to me is a little concerning. Surely Mack would like to offically confirm their involvement on the rehab of the trains of the oldest continuing operating roller coaster in the world on their home page?? Sure would look good on a resume....

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, LPM have just published on their FB page a pic showing the dismantling of Metropolis. They have not confirmed a new coaster as of yet but they have stated that Metropolis is being removed to make way for new Summer Attractions. I think its safe to say that a new coaster will almost certainly be on the agenda!! This is great news and I hope that the replacement will be a great addition to the park!!! Hopefully it wont be too long before we have final details!! :)

Another new Zamperla ride would be great... Just on their Facebook just then: "We love the Metropolis too! But we are pretty sure you will go crazy for what is coming next.." So yeah a new coaster is coming. P.S. Better not be a fucken Crazy Coaster(then again that is a Zamperla ride!)....

Oh I don't know......I think its about time that Australia got a permanent Spinning Coaster in ONE of our parks......it wouldnt be the worst attraction they could put in. And I am clearly noting "attractions"- definitely more than one!! Which is a very good thing indeed!!

Just on their Facebook just then:"We love the Metropolis too! But we are pretty sure you will go crazy for what is coming next.."So yeah a new coaster is coming.

You can go crazy for something that isn't a coaster. Jussayin.

I personally think they're working again with Zamp because that company is looking to use it's "Coney Island" theming at various Luna Parks(not just the one in New York)

Why does it matter what Zamperla is "looking to do". LPM is under no obligation to fulfil Zamperlas marketing aspirations. I'm sure Intamin were "looking to sell" several Aquatrax coasters....Doesn't mean say Sea World has to buy one, or that SW has to work with Intamin. Same thing here. Edited by Gazza

deadhorse-200x266.jpg I am sure I am not the only one who is sick of opening this topic and finding an episode of Jerry Springer happening. Getting back on topic has there been anything else from the park to suggest that there is a new coaster being built. Have to excuse me for not remembering but it seems a while since this topic was last talking about the possibility of a new coaster and not debating the number of carriages/trains on Scenic Railway.

deadhorse-200x266.jpg I am sure I am not the only one who is sick of opening this topic and finding an episode of Jerry Springer happening. Getting back on topic has there been anything else from the park to suggest that there is a new coaster being built. Have to excuse me for not remembering but it seems a while since this topic was last talking about the possibility of a new coaster and not debating the number of carriages/trains on Scenic Railway.

Pin142 at this time there have only been hints and teasers regarding a new coaster for LPM. There is, however, some pretty strong evidence for this in the posts on Facebook from the park. For example: Damien Crocker Get yourselves an upto date rollercoaster! Or maybe buy LPS HUSS rides seeing as they would be more suited here in Melbourne because you wouldn't have noise complaints. November 5 at 4:54pm · Like · 1
  • [*]
373315_290954260922395_338103675_q.jpg Luna Park Melbourne Hang tight Damien, you may be very pleased soon... November 5 at 5:07pm · Unlike · 1 At no time however, has ANY manufacterer ever been mentioned, confirmed or even a style or model.(Certainly NOT Mack) RichardWilliamCollins statement that it could be a Zamperla coaster , whilst ultimately could TURN OUT to be true, at this stage is nothing but pure speculation. As I have said, nothing concrete has been mentioned or confirmed. What is interesting is the fact that LPM continually cite "Attractions" ie more than one. It appears that at least 2 or more new rides will debut for the Summer season at LPM. As for the Scenic Railway and the debated 6 trains, the park has plans to release a Centenary book on the history of the park. This has been confirmed on FB here: 373315_290954260922395_338103675_q.jpg Luna Park Melbourne Wow! we love to see how many of your are enthusiastic about this pic! There are some exciting times ahead as we head into our Centenary year! We all do love the old rides of our past, as well as the current attractions. We are proud that the park now contains a mix of attractions, heritage and new, to appeal to our vast range of customers. You will be happy to hear, John, that we have a new Centenary book coming out soon which details our entire 100 years of history - including the rides you loved so much. As well as this, we are planning a 'back to 1912' heritage weekend! - Sounds right up your alley! :)blank.gif Details will be released on our website in the coming weeks! November 5 at 11:09am · Like · 1 Its quite possible that we will get the definitive history of the Scenic Railway and its trains within the pages of this book.At least then this would be a definitive and credible source. I for one will certainly be purchasing a copy. Hope this helps!! :) Edited by Jobe

273599_763644677_1184193769_q.jpg Cap'n Richard William Collins By 6 Train system, apparently there was 4 on track, and 2 loading up in the station. However LPM have told me they only now have 3 trains. It doesn't make sense to me. Thank you very much. 276792_182985585085240_801542146_q.jpgI liked LUNA PARK Melbourne when it WAS fun. Do you mean 6 sets of two trains(carriages)? Then yes.. That's right there were 6 2 set carriages(trains). Now only three(trains) sets of two(carriages). This has been the case for maaaany years. 273599_763644677_1184193769_q.jpgRichard William Collins Thank you for confirming it! I thought I was dreaming!

See that still doesn't confirm it for me. Quite the opposite - the way I read it is the 'confusion' you cite over the terminology actually disproves your theory. How I understand what he has said is as follows: Train 1----------------------------------Train 2----------------------------Train 3 C1 + C2 ------------------------------C3 + C4 -------------------------- C5 + C6 (1 set of 2) ------------------------ (2 set of 2) -------------------- (3 set of 2) I don't really care one way or the other, but you've been banging on about this particular thing for so long, including many other 'facts' that you stated, which turned out to be utter bullshit. It's the boy who cried wolf who no-one believes. You could find an ancient silent movie of LPM showing 17 trains on the track in one single day of operation and nobody would believe it. Quite honestly - you're banging on about this as badly as you banged on about Mack being involved in the restoration, and you're claiming it all to be fact, rather than opinion or view. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if we put it to a vote, the overwhelming majority of votes cast would say they don't care. Can i ask a mod to add a poll to this thread (or is it better if i create a new one), with the question and choices as follows: Do you believe LPM used to have 6, entirely different, completely independent trains for the scenic railway, each of them a different colour, and each of them with two carriages each (a total of 12 carriages)? (1) Yes (2) No (3) Who cares (4) I believe 3 is the correct number (5) STFU-RWC

Why would there be 6 trains? It would be impossible to load them fast enough nor enough areas to hold them in the event of stacking. Why would there be 6 trains? It would be impossible to load them fast enough nor enough areas to hold them in the event of stacking. Also, why should we believe what that person said on FB? He could be making it up.

Edited by Gazza

I've never thought I'd bee so happy to see a coaster demolished in Australia! So glad Metropolis is actually getting a replacement rather than a "restoration" (which would be like polishing a turd). I know it's probably - definitely - wishful thinking, but Eurofighter 320+ anyone?

I think you mean Zamperla Twister Coaster. And I certainly hope that's not what it is. Metropolis was an average ride with a layout that has been cloned many times, and the last thing we need to replace it is another average ride with a layout that has been cloned even more times.

Coney Island's Tickler isn't exactly a classic ride. It opened in 2010. Luna Park Melbourne can come up with their own coaster that pays tribute to the old Coney Island without ripping one off from the new Coney Island. If they wanted to pay homage to the 1906 Tickler, they could get a much better spinning coaster than a Zamperla. Maybe a Maurer Spinner. There are tons of routes they could go down. They could get a Zamperla Motocoaster with the Steeplechase theme. Your speculation on it being a Zamperla Twister Coaster is the word "crazy", but Zamperla Twister Coasters have never been associated with the word crazy, other than possibly the Crazy Coaster at the Ekka, which is a Zamperla Twister.

Edited by alex_1

which is a Zamperla Twister.

No that one is a Reverchon. Once Reverchon went bust the twister coaster design was picked up by Zamperla. Lol where has this OCD obsession with Zamperla+Coney Island+Luna Park come from? Luna park builds a ride with an off the shelf theme that matches one at Coney Island, and all of a sudden that is interpreted as there being some corporate partnership and that future rides are gonna be that theme etc etc etc. Reality Check: It doesn't mean anything. Name me one theme park that doesn't have at least some Zamperla rides in its line up.....Heck, even my local shopping center has a zamperla made coin operated car.

I've got another source, he's not making it up at all.

Who/what? Edited by Gazza

Also wasn't Reverchon bought by Zamperla? I'd say that's more than just "picking up" a design.

http://business.highbeam.com/53/article-1G1-111204257/fun-allianceduring-iaapa-convention-orlando-alberto

Fun alliance--during the IAAPA Convention in Orlando, Alberto Zamperla and Gilles Reverchon announced that Zamperla would now manufacture and sell Reverchon amusement rides worldwide under a license agreement.

Sound pretty much it. That's all have found, nothing that refers to Zamperla doing a full buyout, or taking ownership of Reverhons plant.

Where? How? Lol!

Honest question though, who was the person or group or book that said scenic railway has 6 trains?

The State Library of NSW contains a set of architectral drawings of the original and buildings from Luna Park Melbourne. They also hold drawings from LPS and also LP Glenelg (SA). For at least the last 40 years, LPM has a only had 3 sets of trains, allowing a 2 train operation. The train storage and workshop was at the rear of the river caves. Once upon a time you could see into this area when arriving into the unload area of the station. LPM confirmed to me recently they have 3 trains. Red and green which are currently in service. The blue train is currently being refurbished. In the past, the train colour schemes have varied. At one point, at least 1 of the trains was a mix of red and yellow.

Also as a side note, you seem to imply the ride had 3 trains operating in the 1990s, which anyone who went to the park during that time will tell you, was NOT the case. They only used 1 train(others kept in storage), 3 train operation, the park also TOLD ME, has been occurring since the new Signal System was installed in 2007/8. They went from 6, to 1, and now have 3. I want to but they keep dragging it back up with false information... I know I did it first with the MACK thing, but now the foots in the other shoe in terms of who's calling who's bullshit.

Maybe but unfortunately its your poor track record and recent history that has people highly doubting anything you claim or post. At least you have finally admitted bullshit about Mack. Kudos. Finally.