Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

I'm looking forward to this. Watercoasters are always fun, for anyone interested in how this might turn out have a look at Poseidon at Europa Park. Whilst Poseidon is fairly tame, its a unique experience and differs from the usual 'log splash ride' and it also has really great theming. I look forward to seeing how this ride will fit within the area they have to work with, and what the theming of the station will be like. In my head I am imagining the station being inside a big storm chasers boat, with sound effects of waves, thunder and rain hitting the hull of the boat. I really think an indoor station would be much more effective. How much do we know that this ride will be indoors? Because (I am assuming) it will be using a portion of the Bermuda interior, it'll have an indoor section at the start similar to Superman? Can't wait!

Edited by Linus1995

Hey Guys, Well after sitting in traffic for over 120 minutes to get to Sea World, we were greeted to a nice surprise. Lots of pieces are starting to arrive in the carpark awaiting assembly. There has also been quite a bit of work done too both in and around the new coasters home. As i have taken around 80 images today and Parkz Uploader is a bit annoying (no offence) i have uploaded them to a simple gallery on my own server HERE. The medium res ones are up now and the Full size ones are uploading as we speak. Anyone is free to use these aslong as credit is provided :) Until next time Harrison

I'm looking at pic 24. It looks like it's the back walls of the building - but they look new (the walls on either side of the gap). Hard to tell though without seeing the full site in person. It also looks like they are building the trough for the flume channel right through the middle of the building. I wonder where the other entrance/exit will be

Edited by GoGoBoy

As i have taken around 80 images today and Parkz Uploader is a bit annoying (no offence) i have uploaded them to a simple gallery on my own server HERE.

None taken... it's a clunky system that'll be overhauled in the site's next incarnation. That said we're not really geared towards adding large amounts of photos... if you do want to upload a handful, even with the current system it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to upload/tag/describe a dozen photos.

Love that you got so many pics of the show building interior. Is it my imagination or have they constructed an entire new concrete wall on one side of the building?

Yeah that has to be new, the indoor section looks pretty basic in terms of layout but i'm sure that will be fixed once theming and the coaster section is put into place. I am so excited for this :D

Yeah that has to be new, the indoor section looks pretty basic in terms of layout but i'm sure that will be fixed once theming and the coaster section is put into place. I am so excited for this :D/>

I wondering if some of the non-coaster section is going to be outdoors, like it only has a basic section inside(perhaps the station, Ride queue and the first Dark-part of the themeing) before having a section outside and a lift hill? Or not enough room for it? Perhaps the ride could have a lift like Scooby-doo or the Atlantis ones in the states(is there enough room?)? out of interest, What was the original plan for when they were going to put it in the Parking Lot in '07? Edit:Found it. Interesting comments you made back then about the Verticle Lift, Gazza... You don't think they might have decided to put one in? Perhaps you get sucked into "The Storm"(Themed part?), raised up(lift?) and flung out(Coaster?)? Edited by colliric_855

It's pretty likely that they will use a vertical lift IMO as I don't know if there is enough space for a lift hill. Don't know if I'm being too pragmatic but I noticed in some of the photos a sudden drop in the flume section, without any gradient, maybe this is where the vertical lift could go, otherwise it would make for a pretty unpleasant ride experience.

I'm looking forward to this. Watercoasters are always fun, for anyone interested in how this might turn out have a look at Poseidon at Europa Park. Whilst Poseidon is fairly tame, its a unique experience and differs from the usual 'log splash ride' and it also has really great theming. I look forward to seeing how this ride will fit within the area they have to work with, and what the theming of the station will be like. In my head I am imagining the station being inside a big storm chasers boat, with sound effects of waves, thunder and rain hitting the hull of the boat. I really think an indoor station would be much more effective. How much do we know that this ride will be indoors? Because (I am assuming) it will be using a portion of the Bermuda interior, it'll have an indoor section at the start similar to Superman? Can't wait!

Looks good and I could easily imagine how it could turn out something very much like that. However I would ideally like to see more theming in it. For me any coaster type ride should be mostly about the themeing (with just a few thrills in terms of movement) because if the movement is too extreme I get motion sickness.

Looks good and I could easily imagine how it could turn out something very much like that. However I would ideally like to see more theming in it. For me any coaster type ride should be mostly about the themeing (with just a few thrills in terms of movement) because if the movement is too extreme I get motion sickness.

Well you don't cater for every type of themepark goer... Rollercoasters are made for the thrill! Also, this is the image I was referring to of Harrison's that shows a sudden drop. DSC00025.JPG Edited by JacobSibbald

Looks like it could be a little drop designed to give the boat a short burst of gravity-water driven speed as it enters the dark section, remembering that it will be gushing over with water and that tends to cushion drops a little. Pretty common on water rides.. There was one on Bermuda as well. obviously the boat will not be on-rails in this part, so that makes perfect sense. Might be that little kick needed to get through the floating section. Kinda like that first backwards drop on Wild West, which is also partly designed to give the boat the speed it needs. Also probably steeply designed so the boat splashes water.... EDIT: If you referred to that concrete block at the back, that is clearly incomplete construction. This section certainly looks like a traditional water ride "Kick" drop.

Edited by colliric_855

Looks like it could be a little drop designed to give the boat a short burst of gravity-water driven speed as it enters the dark section, remembering that it will be gushing over with water and that tends to cushion drops a little. Pretty common on water rides.. There was one on Bermuda as well. obviously the boat will not be on-rails in this part, so that makes perfect sense. Might be that little kick needed to get through the floating section. Kinda like that first backwards drop on Wild West, which is also partly designed to give the boat the speed it needs. Also probably steeply designed so the boat splashes water.... EDIT: If you referred to that concrete block at the back, that is clearly incomplete construction. This section certainly looks like a traditional water ride "Kick" drop.

Assuming we're talking about the reinforcement mesh for the concrete, then for once I actually have to agree with RWC that building a lift for such a small section seems a bit stupid IMO. The thing that confuses me slightly is I would have thought there would be a slope made in the concrete either way for the drop.