Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Do these things carry enough momentum from the drops or is it like a flume where the water current from pumps moves them through the track? I assume the latter?

It's likely to be a mix of both. The momentum that you'll have from the drop will last a bit longer than the final splashdown, especially if it's still on track to the splashdown, or at least part of it.

This should be classed as a coaster not water coaster as boats don't actually touch water the track will run inbetween to troughs with water on both sides creating the illusion how's that for News

After going between the waterfalls it still splashes down into an actual trough. Look at the water coaster at Djurs Sommerland. Reanimated, pumps get used, watch a pov of other water coasters where they have flume sections before the first lift....Obviously no starting momentum in that case.

Just adding my own input to the 'testing' debate - the pictures we've seen so far show a 'pull through' is occurring.

For the benefit of those who may not know the difference, i've spelled this out in simple terms. Apologies to those who know this stuff in their sleep.

A pull through can occur at any time after the last piece of track is bolted into place, and is done to ensure that the clearances around the ride vehicle are sufficient that noone can lose an arm or a head, or reach out and grab anything that they shouldn't.

A pull through can be done even while they are wiring up all of the relevant electronics, computer controls etc. The pictures we have seen of the pull through occurring did not have water dummies in them either - so the previous picture of the water dummy in the ride vehicle wrapped in plastic - as Gazza suggested - is likely just where they put the dummy at the time and had nothing to do with testing.

When all the ride hardware, wiring, safety systems, computers etc are installed, then we will see 'testing' because there is actually something (safety systems, pumps etc) to test.

Given that Water Coasters use the splashdown areas as a part-braking system, i'm going to take the very obvious and surefire bet that we won't see 'testing' until such time as the water troughs are full, and the pumps are running.

A pull through can be done even while they are wiring up all of the relevant electronics, computer controls etc. The pictures we have seen of the pull through occurring did not have water dummies in them either - so the previous picture of the water dummy in the ride vehicle wrapped in plastic - as Gazza suggested - is likely just where they put the dummy at the time and had nothing to do with testing.

Oh I see how it is. We're going to start giving people credit for posts, but give the credit to the wrong person now. That's it! I can't take this any more! /wrists :P

With the clearances they test, is there a standard size/height of a person they use to check the reach and what not on? How to they cater for really tall people?

Are you sure the pull-through is only for testing clearances? I find that a bit strange, especially seeing as this is as a standard model, used many times before. Wouldn't it also have something to do with ensuring the vehicle moves along the track correctly, with no track faults or gauge issues? This would make sense rather than just letting the thing do a full circuit at full speed and then finding half way along, in a very abrupt way, that there are problems

Edited by GoGoBoy

Checking that vehicles move along the track as intended is definitely the main goal with a pull-through. Safe clearance would be much more easily measured at the critical points without a heavy vehicle to slowly winch around the track. Clearance would be a consideration during this process but the construction crew would be much more interested in ensuring that the bits all fit together properly and things like brakes, conveyors, chain lifts, sensors etc. are functioning as needed.

I guess will have to wait and See but I will say it first I Tould you so seaworld have changed some design elements to help with the longevity of the ride but I not going to get into a yes it is no it isn't match I have source which are highly reliable just trying to share what I know

I guess will have to wait and See but I will say it first I Tould you so seaworld have changed some design elements to help with the longevity of the ride but I not going to get into a yes it is no it isn't match I have source which are highly reliable just trying to share what I know

But the splashdown channel in the building was built months ago:

http://www.parkz.com.au/update/2013/06/11/314-Sea_World_June_2013.html

It's just that...there's no "troughs with water on both sides", except on the dip under the shipping container bridge and the airtime hill.

But the splashdown channel in the building was built months ago:

http://www.parkz.com.au/update/2013/06/11/314-Sea_World_June_2013.html

It's just that...there's no "troughs with water on both sides", except on the dip under the shipping container bridge and the airtime hill.

HANG ON A MINUTE!.....

Let's not let facts stand in the way of what the dippin' dots guy told him.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been at the park over the last week or so? Its been a month since we've last had some pics of the coaster.

Would be awesome to see if there has been any further work done. :)

Photos of the theming would be good as well.

I will be heading out there later this week. I will see what i can do.

• 2 weeks later...