Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Everyone dumped on the bureau last year when they failed to provide sufficient warning of a hailstorm that hit the Brisbane CBD.

Since then they (and other weather centres) have invested a lot of time, effort and money into forecast modelling. Watching the cyclones last year early this year was interesting as each model was predicting a vastly different outcome.

But the closer we got to day zero, the more each of the models tended to agree with each other.

Theres a reason the BoM releases a storm warning an hour or two out, and not three days prior - because things can change. These advance models are only estimates based on a range of factors.

I will be extremely thankful if nothing eventuates out of it, but the facts are simple - it is storm season, and you don't have a storm season without a few storms.

I'd much prefer them to put people on an alert level, prompt them to do things like clear gutters and secure outdoor furniture. Hell - i usually leave my upstairs windows open during the day to let the afternoon breezes in - but due to the warning, I closed them all in case the storms hit before i get home.

As a member of the QLD State Emergency Service, believe me when I say we appreciate every minute of advanced warning we can get - it helps more households be prepared, and it also helps us to put our employers on notice 'a storm may be coming, I might need to leave work unexpectedly' so when they see us run out the door, they know why. Most of my colleagues (and bosses) look to me to give them info on storms because of what we do - but our information is no different to the rest of them - we just watch it a little closer.

I'm with you here AlexB. What do you expect for a storm season?

The company I work for sees a huge increase in contact with the public when these sort of forecasts are predicted and then have to deal with angry people calling as a follow up if they didn't get the warning and act in time or did get the warning, acted and then nothing eventuated.

You cannot have it both ways. Sadly many people are now looking at the number of "false" warnings and not taking action when the threat becomes real. A prediction is just that, not a certainty.

Congrats. Maybe u should run your own theme park website then... If I go to SW tomorrow my photos will be more up to date than yours. I Win!

I didn't mean it like that, I was just stating if you want see the latest pics see my post. It would be good if you could take some pics as it isn't long now before it opens.

I didn't mean it like that, I was just stating if you want see the latest pics see my post. It would be good if you could take some pics as it isn't long now before it opens.

Thanks for the pics gdalby. Looks like more work has been done on the front of the show building with more containers added. Looking forward to seeing the entry portal theming for the splashdown transition into the show building