Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Wow, that's great to hear. And that's even before the fire effects!

I can already tell that's it's better than Bermuda. I only got to ride Bermuda twice, once with on-ride sound and once without. As much as we loved it, it was at the end of its lifespan. Sound wasn't working, effect were broken, and it just started to be a little rundown. I am too young to know how it was at launch, but even from these reviews, photos and videos I can tell that the Storm has blown the older Bermuda right out of the water. Anyway, does anyone know if they are going to try and implement the story into the queue somehow so that guests that don't read the sign know what's going on? Maybe audio like Superman?

Anyway, does anyone know if they are going to try and implement the story into the queue somehow so that guests that don't read the sign know what's going on? Maybe audio like Superman?

I am all for ride stories but I don't think that would be necessary in this case. It's pretty clear from just looking around the ride area (and even the name of the ride) that there has been (or is) a big storm, and it has affected a shipping yard/container port. What more do you need to know?

The ride is indeed officially opening tomorrow

MEDIA ALERT

5 December 2013

A new & exciting Storm arriving at Sea World

One of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced rides ever seen in this country is set to open tomorrow at Sea World on the Gold Coast.

Storm Coaster is the first combination water flume boat ride and roller coaster in Australia and at $20 million is also believed to be the largest single investment in a theme park ride.

Can confirm no bags ect. are allowed on, however you can have items in "secure" pockets. As many have mentioned your will get soaked in most instances so keep that in mind ;). Lockers are still to be installed however they will be soon.

The ride is indeed officially opening tomorrow

Can confirm no bags ect. are allowed on, however you can have items in "secure" pockets. As many have mentioned your will get soaked in most instances so keep that in mind ;). Lockers are still to be installed however they will be soon.

Thanks. What is the link for that quote

I think the $20 milillion would cover everything they had to do including removing Bermuda triangle. They probably even included the value of loss of customers because no one wanted to go there whilst it was getting built. They would want the biggest figure possible in there media release. it seems like alot but I guess $20 million doesn't go far these days. You couldn't build tower of terror or wild west falls for that these days.

Edited by raymond265

Yeah there really isn't much ride there for $20million. I have to wonder what that covers, and if it includes things like re-routing the Flume ride, demolishing Bermuda and fixing up the building.

I would say that it does include the demolishing and re-routing the flume.

Edited by gdalby96

^That POV went along with this story in the Gold Coast Bulletin:

Shaya Laughlin tries out Sea World's newest attraction - the Storm Coaster

AS a sailor, I always thought I could handle anything the ocean threw at me.

But yesterday, Sea World created my worst nightmare.

Mountainous waves and a feeling of being trapped in an overturned giant ship hull made for the perfect storm.

As a kid, I often dreamt of boat-engulfing seas, rain whipping down like crystal nails, and skies lit by thunder. Yesterday, I was able to encounter the next best thing - all within the safety of a carriage.

One of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced rides ever seen in Australia is now open at Sea World.

Storm Coaster is the first combination water flume boat ride and roller-coaster in Australia - just like two rides in one.

Strapped into an open carriage, I gripped the handlebar, ready to face my fears.

Time seemed suspended as we climbed the 30m-high structure. I hardly had time to admire the view at the top, before we zoomed back down at 70km/hr.

But the most thrilling section was still to come.

My eyes followed the rails and slowly widened as I gazed down into an opening beneath our "boat".

We hit water and were swallowed whole in a final squeak of steel, before entering a dark flooded room.

Special effects greeted us, including lighting, sound, fire, explosions, a water deluge and smoke. In a splash, the two-minute ride ended.

The verdict? At $20 million, Storm Coaster was definitely worth every cent Sea World spent.

Sea World spokesperson Renee Soutar said Storm Coaster is arguably the best ride in the country and the first to be built indoors in a flooded room measuring over 0.2ha, creating an amazing underwater section.

"Storm Coaster will be hugely popular among families with an incredible wow factor as riders encounter the effects of a cataclysmic storm," she said.

"This will be a drawcard for people far and wide because you can't get anything like this anywhere else."

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/shaya-laughlin-tries-out-sea-worlds-newest-attraction-the-storm-coaster/story-fnj94hgr-1226776594542

588957-dbf72562-5d71-11e3-9478-a420a9eb6100.jpg

594486-d4b78b70-5d71-11e3-9478-a420a9eb6100.jpg

594513-781e6996-5d72-11e3-9478-a420a9eb6100.jpg

I believe there was some extensive work done inside the show building as they undermined the existing floor - i can see that costing a pretty penny.

Sure if you just built a water coaster on a flat block it'd be cheaper, but the location and the existing structures to work around (as well as previous demolition) I can understand why they're saying 20m.

While I am still wanting to see this in person and am amazed with the theming on the POV, still cannot believe they replaced something like Bermuda with something like this.

Before anyone says anything, I know Bermuda was dated and needing removal, I know this is the next big thing that was appropriate for SeaWorld, I know times change, etc. Still sad that of the 4 rides that I can go on with friends, 3 of them are a type of coaster.

While I am still wanting to see this in person and am amazed with the theming on the POV, still cannot believe they replaced something like Bermuda with something like this. Before anyone says anything, I know Bermuda was dated and needing removal, I know this is the next big thing that was appropriate for SeaWorld, I know times change, etc. Still sad that of the 4 rides that I can go on with friends, 3 of them are a type of coaster.

true but its not much of a coaster. that's the only problem with it its not much of a water ride either.

Agree with Bermuda replacement, storm doesn't touch the sides. Great to see something new but equally disappointing with what they could have done. Way too short IMO - it needs a few snaking troughs before launch and after splash down - I haven't seen inside the show building, but surely there would have been space to allow for a proper beginning and ending.. Bugger.

Edited by fullauto