Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Agree with Bermuda replacement, storm doesn't touch the sides. Great to see something new but equally disappointing with what they could have done. Way too short IMO - it needs a few snaking troughs before launch and after splash down - I haven't seen inside the show building, but surely there would have been space to allow for a proper beginning and ending.. Bugger.

I just don't understand how you can think that in the same area the park once had Bermuda you could get a 28m tall coaster + Bermuda. We've the extent of how big this ride would be. Looking at the pictures and the POV, I think they've done a very good job. If you are unhappy with what we got, just be glad they didn't plonk the coaster down in the carpark like the original plans.

Yeah there really isn't much ride there for $20million.

I get the feeling Mack water coasters are more expensive per meter than most other ones out there. ...They need 6 rails of track, and the track is say double the width of the track used on Jet Rescue for instance. Bermudas building got reused, but it has been entirely re-roofed (No more SW logo), floor dug out and sealed as a giant pool that I doubt that much was saved on reusing it.

I haven't seen inside the show building, but surely there would have been space to allow for a proper beginning and ending.. Bugger.

Not really. Basically most of the show building is used for deceleration, given boats are coming in much faster than the old ride and guess a bit more space either side for the wave generated.

Lets not forget how small Bermudas drops actually were:

If you see the version of this ride at Djurs Sommerland the U-turn at the end is basically as tight as the boats can do, so there isn't the space for a full snake up and back into the space in between.

Bermudas old layout for those interested post-134-0-01622300-1330256040.png

Edited by Gazza

Basically most of the show building is used for deceleration, given boats are coming in much faster than the old ride and guess a bit more space either side for the wave generated. Bermudas old layout for those interested post-134-0-01622300-1330256040.png

Also don't forget the show building is now being used as a guest-accessible area for the first time, with the ride entry, exit and queuing/loading. Gazza that layout I believe was a guesstimation put together by a forum member. May not be entirely accurate

^ it's not 100% spot on, but for the purposes of this site, it's close enough. As for the debate about which is better between Storm and Bermuda; look they're different, so compelling arguments could be made for both rides. Personally, I think Bermuda at its best was probably a little better, but Storm is a perfect fit for Sea World, is an awesome ride in its own righ, and a worthy replacement. Also from my ride, I'll say that Storm without fire is much better than Bermuda without fire.

(This might be off topic but hey it mentions the SC and BT in it so who cares) there was two buildings for Bermuda. When going down the first drop in Bermdua there was a shed. In side the shed was where the roof fell then entering that creepy sharks mouth.. Then the ride got to the part of the aliens was the main show building. Storm Coaster has two again one where the queue line is where the first flume channel goes before the hill then the next building is where the coaster goes again into another flume channel which lasts like for 2 seconds in the building and your back in the show building.

^ Looks different to me. Looks to be much better quality, although I would've preferred a handheld to better show the darkride portion. One thing that I've noticed from both POV's is that the splashdown area sounds pretty lifeless. Not sure if the camera's case is blocking the microphone but for me the audio doesn't match the disastrous visuals. Would like to hear sirens, wind, rain etc.

Edited by Flea

(This might be off topic but hey it mentions the SC and BT in it so who cares) there was two buildings for Bermuda. When going down the first drop in Bermdua there was a shed. In side the shed was where the roof fell then entering that creepy sharks mouth.. Then the ride got to the part of the aliens was the main show building. Storm Coaster has two again one where the queue line is where the first flume channel goes before the hill then the next building is where the coaster goes again into another flume channel which lasts like for 2 seconds in the building and your back in the show building.

The extra building on the side of Bermuda was, as Gazza said, essentially an extension that housed the full splashdown. Once you made that first turn, you were then inside the main building. For Storm, most of the splashdown occurs within the main building (another reason why there is not as much room now). They did build a smaller angled building extension for part of the Storm's splashdown, made from steel and concrete and using more shipping containers as a facade. The queue entry and initial flume section before the drop are just containers I believe, rather than actual building extensions.

went on this today the damn thing is breaking down already! waited an hour in line for it to re-open finally got on it and not too impressed so far. 1st you don't get drenched i got wet on my whole right side but the left side was pretty much untouched. secondly there's not enough effects etc inside the building they should ave made it so waves are breaking against the boat or something cool like that but what is really there is pretty damn boring. not really worth the hour wait 20m doesn't buy much these days apparently...

Edited by bladex

went on this today the damn thing is breaking down already! waited an hour in line for it to re-open finally got on it and not too impressed so far. 1st you don't get drenched i got wet on my whole right side but the left side was pretty much untouched. secondly there's not enough effects etc inside the building they should ave made it so waves are breaking against the boat or something cool like that but what is really there is pretty damn boring. not really worth the hour wait 20m doesn't buy much these days apparently...

It's only been open for 1 day officially, there's bound to be teething problems. Hell GL still breaks down once a day. You're annoyed due to the disparity of water that splashed on you? Picky much? Given most are commending the theming and you are saying its poor, I'd say you are being overly critical or water rides are just not your thing

I'm surprised to hear this feedback. Most of the people that have ridden it so far have said there are plenty of effects, even without the fire.

I am going to the park tomorrow, but am taken family who don't want to go on the storm. When the ride isn't broken down, how long are you in the queue line? Also, do people think the park will be busy tomorrow, even though most schools aren't on holidays yet? At what point during the day will the storm have the shortest queue?

I wouldn't say most schools aren't on holidays - a hell of a lot are. Your best bet is to head their first thing when the park opens, or at time when other attractions are pulling crowds away, like when the dolphin show, jet ski show etc are on. Typically rides get a little quieter between 12-1 when most people take a break for lunch

I wouldn't say most schools aren't on holidays - a hell of a lot are. Your best bet is to head their first thing when the park opens, or at time when other attractions are pulling crowds away, like when the dolphin show, jet ski show etc are on. Typically rides get a little quieter between 12-1 when most people take a break for lunch

Thanks. Generally though, how long have the queue's been, when it has not broken down?