International Additions

themeparkgc

I thought it was about time to start this topic since announcement season is about to begin and a lot of information is already out there on some international additions for 2013. As with I'll try and keep this thread up to date but feel free to post anything you come across. Here's a few to get the ball rolling... Silver Dollar City As mentioned in other topics, Silver Dollar City is getting a Rocky Mountain designed wooden roller coaster. Not only is it getting the almost-a-full-inversion element it is also looking like it will have a double barrel roll towards the end of the ride. An official announcement is due out next week.

Do a barrel roll? Why not two! It looks like the layout for the coaster at Silver Dollar City was accidentally leaked over the past few days and thanks to the nature of the internet someone was able to save it before the park has taken it down. 481951_10150967450622097_886683688_n.jpg Source https://www.facebook...6&type=1&ref=nf I am sure even those who aren't fans of wooden coasters would see this as extremely interesting and something to go out of the way and ride. I know I would!

Six Flags New England Six Flags New England are looking at getting the record of the tallest swing ride. They just received permission from the local council to build a Funtime Star Flyer to a height of up to 410 feet. The park was looking at installing one 385 feet tall. This follows other Six Flags parks installing "SkyScreamers" in the past two years. Embedded below is a pic of the current tallest which is just shy of the 385 feet mark. 1723.photo.3.jpg Cedar Point Cedar Point recently closed a couple of their rides in preparation for their 2013 addition. This was previously leaked by the local news to be a Bolliger & Mabillard Wing Coaster. A teaser campaign is currently underway.

Cedar Fair stands ready to spend big money on a new roller coaster for 2013 at Cedar Point that will change the park landscape. Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors. The total projected cost of the project is $25 million, a price that includes removing the park’s Space Spiral and Disaster Transport rides and restructuring the park entrance.

http://www.sanduskyr...ld-coaster-2013 Six Flags Magic Mountain Six Flags Magic Mountain also had a leak to the local news detailing a launched roller coaster named Full Throttle taking the place of the now defunct Log Jammer.

The new multi-launch coaster will be called Full Throttle, according to the official Six Flags Facebook page. Full Throttle's record-setting vertical loop is expected to top the Superman: Krypton coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas, which holds the current title of world's tallest loop at 145 feet. Magic Mountain's own Viper, with a 144-foot-tall loop, is a close second, according to Roller Coaster Database. Magic Mountain recently shuttered the 1971 Log Jammer water flume to make way for the 2013 coaster. The wooded six-acre parcel in the center of the park includes a sizable man-made lake that may play a role in the new attraction. Full Throttle may also make use of the old monorail tunnel that cuts through the hillside.

http://articles.lati...rottle-03201207

Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City has been announced...

outlawrunnews_logo.png Silver Dollar City Announces World’s Most Daring Wood Coaster Outlaw Run, Only Wood Coaster To Go Upside Down, Blazes Through America’s Heartland in Spring 2013 (Branson, MO 8/9/12) Thrill ride enthusiasts around the world will mark a first-of-its-kind ride debut at Branson, Missouri’s Silver Dollar City in Spring 2013 when the 1880s-style theme park makes history with the opening of Outlaw Run, the world’s most daring wood coaster. The park’s (SDC) biggest investment in a single ride in the past decade, the new $10 million ride sends passengers soaring through the Ozark Mountains on a ground-breaking wood coaster that includes several firsts:

• [*]World’s steepest drop on a wood coaster [*]More than 16 stories, 162-foot drop at 81 degrees, nearly vertical [*]World’s only wood coaster to twist upside-down [*]A record-breaking three inversions including a 720-degree (double) barrel roll [*]Second fastest wood coaster in the world [*]Top speed of 68 mph, world’s fastest coaster on steel wheels
http://silverdollarcity2013.com/ 4a-Key-image-Board_web.jpg 221590_10151138039067603_592257421_o.jpg?dl=1 Edited by themeparkgc

To be honest, its everything else about this excites me. The barrel rolls are a cool achievement on a woodie, but they aren't a particularly interesting inversion either,

Doing a barrel roll on a woodie will be a pretty unique experience, especially with only lap bars. Not to mention the insane head choppers it'll deliver.

Except I've done a barrel roll with a lap bar on Green Lantern...It's cool and all, But the first drop for Outlaw Run and that wacky outside banked turn seem significantly more interesting. I get that it's unique for a woodie, but it still the same forces on your body.

Edited by Gazza

Except I've done a barrel roll with a lap bar on Green Lantern...It's cool and all, But the first drop for Outlaw Run and that wacky outside banked turn seem significantly more interesting. I get that it's unique for a woodie, but it still the same forces on your body.

I agree the highlights of the layout are the first drop and twisted banked turn thing, but I still greatly appreciate the double barrel roll and think it will definitely add something to the ride.

Looks like Cedar Point accidentally leaked their webpage for their 2013 coaster for a few minutes, but that was more than enough time for the pics to be all over TPR! SPOILERS ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT Cedar Point are getting a new wing rider, just as everyone guessed, named Gatekeeper. I must say, the layout looks AWESOME! I loved the Swarm at Thorpe Park, so I bet I'll love this even more. It's like every wing rider B&M have made so far combined into one awesome coaster! gk1.png

So GateKeeper at Cedar Point was announced last Monday. As expected, it is a B&M Wing Coaster. Full details are below.

GateKeeper07.jpg Cedar Point Announces Plans for New World-Record-Breaking Roller Coaster! Cedar Point amusement park/resort, known around the globe as the leader in innovative coaster thrills and the “Best Amusement Park in the World,” announced plans today to build a new world-record-breaking coaster for the park’s 2013 season. Named GateKeeper, this new winged roller coaster will take guests on a ride unlike anything else at the famed park. Set to debut in May, the mammoth ride will be the longest winged roller coaster in the world and will boast the longest drop of any winged coaster on the planet! GateKeeper, will forever change the landscape of the Cedar Point Peninsula, as the track will dramatically fly above the main entrance to the park, passing over arriving guests with rolling flyover maneuvers. Riders will twice narrowly slot through new front gate portals and slide by buildings for near miss excitement. GateKeeper will feature Sunset Gold trains with coaches that extend out sideways from the track, exposing riders to nothing above or below them, simulating the feeling of flight. “GateKeeper’s world-record-breaking statistics, incredible flying maneuvers and special elements make it a unique coaster experience,” stated Cedar Point General Manager John Hildebrandt. “GateKeeper is a roller coaster only Cedar Point can build and we are proud to add it to our incredible lineup of world-class attractions.” Designed by world-renowned coaster manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, Monthey, Switzerland, a ride along the 4,164 feet of dark and light blue steel tubular track on GateKeeper will take approximately 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Once riders crest the top of the 170-foot-tall lift hill, the coaster train will rotate 180 degrees to the right, turning riders upside down before plummeting a record 163 feet toward the ground at speeds reaching 67 mph! Then the train will enter a half loop, go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction from which it came. A towering 105-foot-tall camelback hill awaits just before riders glide through a 360-degree giant flat spin. The train will then fly through the middle of two support towers that will dominate Cedar Point’s new Main Entrance. The coaster will then make a tight, 180-degree turnaround which pushes riders through an overbanked turn and rockets them back towards the station. A 360-degree in-line roll, camelback drop and spiral round out the amazing elements that GateKeeper will treat its passengers to next summer. GateKeeper will feature three 32-passenger trains and will be able to accommodate approximately 1,710 riders per hour. Riders will be secured with over-the-shoulder restraints and interlocking seat belts. With the addition of GateKeeper and the redesign to the park’s main entrance, Cedar Point will invest approximately $30 million on improvements for the 2013 season. Thrill-seekers can follow the progress of the new world-record-breaking roller coaster, GateKeeper, online all winter long. GateKeeper will be Cedar Point’s 16th roller coaster and is scheduled to open with the rest of the park in May of 2013.

GateKeeper09-1600wx1035h.png http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fLbdwq8_k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBAjdP_fA0Q More information can be found at http://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper/

• 2 weeks later...

Overnight, California's Great America announced Gold Striker, a GCI woodie...

au13-dropcloseup-sld.jpg TALLEST AND FASTEST WOODEN ROLLER COASTER IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA TO OPEN AT CALIFORNIA’S GREAT AMERICA IN 2013 Gold Striker melds together most exciting features of best wooden roller coasters in the world SANTA CLARA, CA – California’s Great America will open the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in Northern California in the spring of 2013. High-speed twists, turns, drops, station fly-by and the Old West are the top features of Gold Striker, currently under construction at Northern California’s leading thrill park and family destination. The ride will stand 108 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 103 feet at a 50-degree angle. Riders will careen along 3,197 feet of track at speeds up to 54 miles per hour. The ride experience on Gold Striker will last more than two heart-pounding minutes. “Gold Striker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with the best thrills and entertainment value in the region,” California’s Great America Vice-President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg said. “This ride was uniquely designed by melding together the highest performing and most exciting features of the very best wooden roller coasters in the world. Everyone who enjoys the thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience Gold Striker.” The name of the ride was chosen to recognize the pioneering and adventurous spirit of the California gold-seekers who rushed the area in 1849. Gold Striker will be located in the Celebration Plaza area of California’s Great America and will be the park’s eighth roller coaster. The ride will wrap around the park’s Star Tower attraction. Gold Striker is custom designed and built for the topography of California’s Great America by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Two trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 850 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride. Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Gold Striker at cagreatamerica.com. Visitors of cagreatamerica.com may also access exclusive Gold Striker updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live construction Web cam.

au13_ridelayout_type.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doDAoOtMsU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJlkI-XH46I

I'm more impressed with the animation than the ride itself! California needs an El Toro-esque woodie, not a sprawled out version of Apocalypse. What I'm really looking forward to is the announcement of "Full Throttle" at SFMM in a few hours. There are some crazy rumours floating around that suggests the ride will launch into the world's tallest vertical loop, before launching backwards and experiencing the loop a second time on it's outer rails. No idea what that means but it sounds ridiculous. EDIT: Look above!

Edited by Flea