Theme Park food prices

kujotess

Welcome, and how much were you expecting?

Thanks, and less than $8. I think if more people just refused to buy stuff at that price then they'd have to drop it. But of course most will just accept that is how it is and continue to pay the exorbitant prices so the rip-off continues. Anyway, 1st and last visit to the Gold Coast theme parks. I've vented and feel better.

To be honest, considering the average price of a hotdog that isn't from a shopping centre foodcourt would be up around the $5 mark, and considering you're in a theme park where you can expect prices to be a little higher than usual, AND the fact that they have franks that are a foot long (which in most cases is about 6 inches longer than the bun is!) i don't see it being that bad. If you got a footlong hotdog with cheese and sauce for say $6.50 in a shopping centre - it'd be a bargain! So wheres the beef in an extra $1.50 in a theme park? (definitely not in the hotdog thats for sure - pig anus FTW!)

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I know many people will agree with me on this forum about returning to the era-before-VIP-passes, but I also know that the general public will go nuts. Obviously there'd need to be a transition, but people are complaining this year after they weren't able to get the buy 3 get 1 free anymore... Oh noes! It cost $99 for just under a year to 3 parks...

Get a job. Seriously though, when I was at Disneysea earlier in the year, when it came to food & bev they had the formula right. While charging a higher then normal rate for things like popcorn or dumplings or even soda, the fact that they offered speedy, convenient, clean and most importantly novel and atypical food that's special to the park makes the higher rate very easy to justify. And to be fair, while I strongly disagree with charging extra for drinks in a "meal", Movie World do have their finger on the money in terms of charging customers a premium for a premium experience which is what it's ultimately all about. What I do have a problem is when I walk into 4 different food & bev outlets at another gold coast park, and my offerings are the same fried crap, microwaved pizzas or $10 truck stop salad sandwiches in every one. Here's a quick formula that I think is accurate: Premium Park + Premium Price + Premium/Unique F&B Experience to compensate for Premium Price without raising cost = Epic Profit/CSR

MW includes drinks again FWIW. Agreed with the Disney idea of making food a bit unique...Epcot was like that. Re: not returning to the theme parks due to food prices.... Are you going for the hot dogs, or for the rides? It's like not going to the footy/a concert due to venue food prices, or never using an airport, due to the prices they typically have.

It is a little frustrating that: I'm a loyal customer who purchased Gold VIP in it's first year... they release the passes the next year with no options for others to upgrade to gold then they take away the perks of having gold - like your own ticket line, and early entry then they offer it as an upgrade to passholders then they give it away free if you buy a standard vip then they offer one of the few remaining 'gold' perks (that is - free entry to WC) to standard VIP holders. Seriously - it is marketed as a premium product, and you're supposed to get more for it - then we lost half of the benefits, and they gave the other half away to standard passholders. What's left that makes Gold worth having?

I know you've said it numerous times Joz, I just felt categorising it and laying it all out might get read (and reconsidered in future years) by management. Maybe they could bring back early entry for the summer (and the separate gate). I don't mind that WC is being included in the new passes - they spend a lot of money on those events and they want to ensure they get enough people through the gate to justify how much they spend. If they give away the gate, but make a shitload on flashy crap, upcharges and F&B then i'm all for it - but gold was meant to be a premium product... but right now, it doesn't appear that it's any different to any of the multitude of 'slightly varied' standard VIP offerings. I paid extra to get gold in the first year, and i paid extra to renew it versus a standard pass... forgive my implied 'sense of entitlement' but they've gotten more money out of me than a standard pass holder - now I want to know what 'extra' i get for that? And before I get shot down - I realise that what i've paid is still far less than the standard annual passes that used to exist before Q150 - I get that - and considering the attractions we've seen introduced since the passes started, they can't be doing too badly financially. I just can't see what benefits there are to having gold at this point in time because they've watered down the gold perks, and given some of them to standard passholders.... can someone please tell me what it is that I get with my gold pass that I don't get with a standard VIP right now?

I have one family member on standard VIP, and we have two gold passes. Purchased at the same time, here is what we paid (excluding booking credit card fees) according to our invoices: Gold - Original Purchase Price - $139 Gold - Renewal - $99 VIP - Original Purchase Price - $99 VIP - Renewal - $79

Not sure what you did wrong but we also renewed our Gold Passes this year for the same price as a standard renewal and on top of that got the buy 3 get one free..or in our case it was renew 3 get one free whilst that offer was available...and considering you had 3 renewals in total, you should have been able to receive 4 for the price of 3 if done during that time. It worked out for us at around $70 per Gold pass....which is insanely cheap. Really this year I think they have ditched the idea of Gold being a premium offering and used it simply as a way for VIP holder to get into FN & WC cheaper...especially since it wasn't even available for new purchases at the start of the "season pass year" and only made available as an upgrade once they started advertising FN. Jay

Gold - Original Purchase Price - $139 Gold - Renewal - $99 VIP - Original Purchase Price - $99 VIP - Renewal - $79

Here's the email I go from Myfun back when renewals were starting again:

As a loyal VIP Gold Pass holder we would like to offer you an exclusive deal to renew your VIP Gold Pass for only $89.99. Plus if you renew 3 passes you GET 1 FREE, saving $89.99.

And I know, for a fact, that normal VIP passes were $89.99 for renewal too. EDIT: And also, last year, VIP passes were $109.99 ($119.99 at the gate), not $99.99. And Gold was an extra $30, so $139.99 online or $149.99 at the gate. Edited by Bmull19

• 8 months later...
there's a kfc and maccas across the road from mw just go there before going in that's what we do than we take it and go eat it in the mw car park :P[/quote All good if u have VIPs and not doing a full day. No many people will survive on Maccas breakfast then a full day at a theme park from 9:30-5

Somewhat sure the park offers a pass out that allows you re-entry to the park.

Of course they do, I guess I just Would never be bothered leaving a park to get food. If I am making a decision to spend a whole day at a park, I accept that part of that day out will include purchasing overpriced food