$500 million China theme park in Australia, NSW

mattcrombie

lso why should people keep moving, when their is an area right here where culture is not shoved down your throat. Its not diversity that's the issue is cultures forcing their way in and controlling.

Side point, can you cite me an example of where a particular group has actually done this?

Seems to be a typical redneck cry that "They are changing our culture!"

The only instances I can think of is when preschools decide to ban stanta of their own voliton.

I've never actually heard of a case of someone being forced to do it by an immigrant?

The University of Newcastle has had this issue in the past. They attempted to bring in students from Asia. They got more then they bargained for. This caused issues in the area, as they caused disturbances in the surround area and on the campus. They have now taken steps to reverse it and get more local students. So lets just say it has happened before in the near by area before and it didn't work well at all.

Have you got a link to an article or something?

Shut your mouth, I think I know more about the area then you do. They left Sydney to get away from other cultures trying to shove their culture down people throats, which happens in much of Sydney. Also why should people keep moving, when their is an area right here where culture is not shoved down your throat. Its not diversity that's the issue is cultures forcing their way in and controlling. It happens time after time. Its fine if they can live by our ways, or live with their culture while also embracing ours, but when they come in large numbers that never happens, as they no longer need to live with the culture but can form their own area, exactly how a Chinatown type area starts. There are plenty of people in the area that are from other cultures but have lived our culture as well as their own, which everyone is ok with. I will leave out your insult. Not all of the area is bogan territory. The closer you get to the coast the higher class it gets. It basically goes from lower class to higher class in the space of 14km. The freeway is basically the central of the lower class area. I live 14 KM away right on the coast.

Shut my mouth?? Who in gods name do u think u are?? Oh that right, you're a bogan who doesn't want multiculturalism in Australia... Pathetic & simple minded...

Shut your mouth, I think I know more about the area then you do. They left Sydney to get away from other cultures trying to shove their culture down people throats, which happens in much of Sydney. Also why should people keep moving, when their is an area right here where culture is not shoved down your throat. Its not diversity that's the issue is cultures forcing their way in and controlling. It happens time after time. Its fine if they can live by our ways, or live with their culture while also embracing ours, but when they come in large numbers that never happens, as they no longer need to live with the culture but can form their own area, exactly how a Chinatown type area starts. There are plenty of people in the area that are from other cultures but have lived our culture as well as their own, which everyone is ok with. I will leave out your insult. Not all of the area is bogan territory. The closer you get to the coast the higher class it gets. It basically goes from lower class to higher class in the space of 14km. The freeway is basically the central of the lower class area. I live 14 KM away right on the coast.

Whoa calm down there big boy! If we go with your argument doesn't that mean that all so called "Aussies" should stop encroaching on the traditional Aboriginal tribal areas and, dare I say, "go back to where they came from"? The whole argument is ridiculous, where would Australia be without it's migrant population? No Snowy River scheme for starters let alone nearly every major infrastructure project in Australia's history. Also migrant workers from many cultures, China included, steam rolled every gold rush in the country and changed and influenced our culture in some way or another for the last 215 odd years. "The Bus is now leaving for Chinamans Well, Western Australia" Edited by Bussy

Side point, can you cite me an example of where a particular group has actually done this?

Seems to be a typical redneck cry that "They are changing our culture!"

The only instances I can think of is when preschools decide to ban stanta of their own voliton.

I've never actually heard of a case of someone being forced to do it by an immigrant?

Have you got a link to an article or something?

Obviously you have never been in many of the suburbs of Sydney. I used to live in down there. The house was with the family for decades. When my parents used to live there it was completely "white" Australian. As my parents took over the house the area started to get many Islamic people in the area. By the time I was in school it was 80% Islamic. While I was at school, we had to live by the Islamic Traditions, there was no two ways about it. As you went around the place traditions were being forced upon us more and more. The year after I left the school and more far away, as we did not feel like having a culture forced down our throats. Now when you go down there, it is completely Islamic, they have forced everyone out of the area. There are many other cases where this type of thing has been happening. Also add to the ones where culture want to get their laws into parliament

As for the University of Newcaslte. It is hard to find articles about it as it was years ago, but you can still see the effects of it today, with the Uni offering bonus ATAR points for students in schools within the region.

Shut my mouth?? Who in gods name do u think u are?? Oh that right, you're a bogan who doesn't want multiculturalism in Australia... Pathetic & simple minded...

You don't know anything about me. You just think that what I am saying is my opinion. Well news flash it is not, this is the opinion of the people in the area it is being built in. Also your part saying No multiculturalism is far from what it was saying anyway. I was talking about a complete take over by another culture. Not blending cultures.

Whoa calm down there big boy! If we go with your argument doesn't that mean that all so called "Aussies" should stop encroaching on the traditional Aboriginal tribal areas and, dare I say, "go back to where they came from"? The whole argument is ridiculous, where would Australia be without it's migrant population? No Snowy River scheme for starters let alone nearly every major infrastructure project in Australia's history. Also migrant workers from many cultures, China included, steam rolled every gold rush in the country and changed and influenced our culture in some way or another for the last 215 odd years. "The Bus is now leaving for Chinamans Well, Western Australia"

Another failure at reading.

There are too many bigoted, shortsighted, uneducated people around these days.

I know all these people in this thread need to go back to school and learn to read and not just skim read and assume.

I know its not what you meant but I used it anyway. I haven't even said my opinion (which is I don't want it but for other reasons) but for some reason some idiots want to attack me. Also claiming that they are accepting is rather hypocritical as they are abusing a bunch off people because of what they believe, I don't see how you are any better then them.

There has been little multi-cultural change in Melbourne over the past 3 decades... All that has happened is we have grown our population and that has included multicultural growth. My guess is that you noticed it was happening in your suburb and ASSUMED it must have been happening everywhere else. Meanwhile the "McDonald's 24-hour invasion" has taken over your little town as well, and you won't do jack shit about it while your citizens get fat and die from diabetes. But hey, at least it's not an Asian restaurant. Gotta get our priorities right, no Asians here fullstop, but yeah we'll let the American fast food joints open up everywhere 24-hours a day and lets all get fat and die. Remember when "7-Eleven" actually meant something to do with time? And remember when it was ok to refer to a certain group of people as pointy ended wooden sticks with a name that started with F? Or when the Savoy Tavern was open for business? Shit changes from your Childhood... Grow up and deal with it, instead of seeking to rob the rest of the country of a great tourism idea.

Edited by colliric_855

Cruiseshipfan - you are entitled to your opinion. But some of the things you are saying are just plain foolish. Explain to us how you were forced into living under Islamic traditions at school. U had to pray? Refrain from eating pork? Fast for Ramadan?? What a joke. No government school in Australia is religiously run, so unless u were going to an Islamic school you are lying through your teeth to try and give clarity to your flawed argument. I went to a high school that was 94% Asian demographic, I was not forced to pray to Buddha, consume Chinese cuisine or celebrate Chinese New Year. This was also an area where my parents grew up that had 0% Asian demographic 25 years earlier. I really think you have a negative opinion on rational interaction and assimilation into society.

Since there is a high percentage of asian visitors to our theme parks, does that mean that 'white australians' who visit the theme parks are required to observe and follow asian religious custom too?

I've tried to be polite about this. In recent times i've been a little harsh to some people here and i'm trying to be mindful of the harshness of some of my responses, but Cruiseshipfan - since you see fit to twist my words any way you want - i feel compelled to make a statement that you won't be able to twist no matter what...

You are a rascist, a bigot, and an uneducated sloth. You are at least 30 years behind the times, and you support the NIMBY culture that forces immigrants to segregate rather than assimilate.

From memory, I think you were late teens early 20s. This means that the period where you claim you were forced to undergo islamic schooling would be in the 90's-00's. At a time where Islam wasn't the most favoured culture in the world, I simply can't accept that you went to a publicly funded, non-islamic school that forced you to adopt the religious traditions and observances against your own free will, especially not without Today Tonight or A Current Affair doing an expose on such an occurrence.

TO everyone else - unfortunately a bigoted mind such as his is not one you can convince or change - especially with just words on a screen. The best advice I can give is to place this member on ignore, as I intend to do. That is the best message you can send.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would interrupt the racist comments and tit for tat arguments and point out something that I think is being missed here..

Could it be the theme park is just an Investment scam? I think its highly likely.

Look at the directors of the company.. no previous experience in creating theme parks or creating anything. The theme park arose from an 'idea' that director Bruce Zhong (Zhang ya, Zhong) had. Later Bruce managed to lure a group of local investors and made them directors of the company. He appointed a young bright and enthusiastic woman, a Ms Amanda Li (Feng Yuan Li) as secretary and spokeswoman for the company; Amanda is also a company director. Together they managed to purchase a 40 acre block of industrial land from the Wyong council for less than half the going price of land in that subdivision. Enter Mr Doug Eaton and his Chinese born wife Mrs Ruby Eaton (formally of Shanghai) after their 9 day trip of China, at the invite of Mr Zhong they are truly convinced the park will go ahead. By design or consequence I think its a forgone conclusion the park will not go ahead, the DA has not even been lodged. No mention that the sale has even closed.. has the 10 million dollars been handed over?..no word about that as yet.

Most of the 'investors' are wealthy business people from Shanghai and Guangzhou all with more money than they know what to do with, investing in China is risky (too many investment scams) so what could be better? An investment opportunity in Australia! Hmm me thinks some wealthy Chinese will be fleeced of a few million very soon. Here is my prediction:

1. Reports come in that the required investment ($500 million) could not be found, project has to be abandoned

2. Some how all of the money from the current investors has been 'consumed'

3. Company goes into voluntary liquidation.

4. Lots of angry Chinese investors.. but its OK they are in China, so Mr Zhong's knee caps will remain intact

5. Mr Zhong suddenly disappears Hmm surprise, surprise

6. Amanda Li is left with egg on her face as she realises she was used and goes into hiding

7. Mrs Eaton is left to explain why her off shore bank account received a sudden and healthy shot in the arm..??? Hmm I wonder why :)

8. Mr Eatons reputation is left intact and he claims it was not a scam, it was because investors were scared off the project by a change in the Australian federal government

Ok, call me a cynic but lets wait and see.. I have seen this type of scam roll out this way before.. its a very familiar pattern

Edited by John Faulkner

Problem is it actually has the support of the Chinese Government behind it. They're going to shift their Australian tourism offices to the site. You have to wonder how much they're footing the bill for this? Of cause, the involvement of the Chinese Government somehow only makes me feel more as if it could be a scam... Abiet of a different kind. They're not exactly unfamiliar with how to run corrupt construction scams.

Edited by colliric_855

• 3 months later...

Makes me wonder about my definition of a theme park. I personally wouldn't classify this place as a theme park, but very interested to read others views!

To me this development is reminiscent of Epcot's World Showcase, although obviously the whole thing's only themed to one country. Having said that there are still many questions - will there be an entry fee, or will it just be an area with a few Chinese style buildings and a pagoda? If they go for the former option (which I doubt) then it'll be interesting to see how much detail they go into with the theming - if it's sufficiently detailed and high quality then I wouldn't hesitate to call it a theme park. If they go for the latter option then I'd say it's more of a cultural park.

Interestingly The Australian refers to it as both a theme park and cultural centre in this article: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wyong-embraces-chinese-proposal-for-a-500m-cultural-headquarters/story-e6frg6n6-1226801063437

Having said all that the 'theme park' label being used by the media appears to have come from the name of the Chinese consortium planning the project which is named 'Australian Chinese Theme Park Pty Ltd'. Most likely it's a case of lost in translation and they really meant cultural centre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...