kujotess

BREAKING: Near drowning at SW resort.

8 posts in this topic

Quick action by a nurse and lifeguard saved the life of a little girl who nearly drowned at a Gold Coast resort on Monday. The three-year-old girl was reportedly unconscious and not breathing when she was pulled from a pool at Seaworld Resort near Main Beach just after 5pm on Christmas Eve. Her rescuers revived the toddler and gave her oxygen, with the girl in a semi-conscious state by the time paramedics arrived. Police confirmed the girl was been transported to Gold Coast Hospital where she is reportedly in a stable condition. Advertisement Seaworld Resort was unavailable for comment and it remains unclear if the girl’s rescuers were staff or guests at the hotel. Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/child-saved-from-seaworld-pool-20121224-2bunq.html#ixzz2Fxdy6kwx

Change the title of this thread. She's 3 years old and has NOT drowned, according to several news sites. They revived her in time.

It says 'Near drowning'. I copied and pasted it from a report on the internet, and I don't know how to change the title.

Change the title of this thread. She's 3 years old and has NOT drowned, according to several news sites. They revived her in time.

Bad news RWC - wrong again. A person who has lost consciousness and stopped breathing in a pool has drowned. The fact that she was revived just means they got to her quickly enough to revive her.

Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid.

I train the state emergency service on first aid, and this situation is considered a drowning. The fact that ably trained and well supported personnel utilised their training to perform CPR just means it wasn't fatal. I really dislike the term 'near-drowning'. It's like the term 'near-miss'. This little girl experienced respiratory impairment from submersion immersion in liquid, so she drowned... plain and simple... she didn't DIE, but she drowned. I'm curious as to whether the resort had (and utilised) an automated external defibrillator (AED)... Or whether the resort only had an adult model available. CPR usually has a 30% success rate, whereas with an AED it is increased to 60-70%. Emergency services would have responded quickly, but without the nurse and lifesaver present, this little girl would be headed for a wooden box - so well done to those talented people.