Village Roadshow Discovery Pass

Bmull19

It's been getting sold since Monday. Just posting in case anyone is interested and hasn't seen it. https://themeparks.com.au/box-office/combo-pass/discovery-passport.aspx Edit: Just wanted to mention that although it is a big jump (From $100 ($110) passes to $150 ($160)), it's good to finally see the cheap passes being phased out (hopefully)...

Edited by Bmull19

This is the sort of ticketing option I've been talking about for a while, give away some extra perks for those that are willing to pay for them. It also seems like its a 12 month pass instead of the 'season pass' that the VIP pass is, so this is something different. The next step is to hold the price of the VIP pass and add some block out dates so people coming in the busy periods have to buy the more expensive (but still good value) pass. And while they're at it, they might consider renaming the VIP pass so people don't think they own the place.

I don't understand why they didn't keep the Gold VIP Pass at that sort of level to begin with. Those of us that purchased it in the first year did so because we were willing to pay extra for some additional benefits only to have it's benefit (and price) reduced to make it only marginally better than the standard VIP Pass. I am still in favour of phasing out the dirt cheap passes, but just wonder why they diluted the Gold VIP to begin with when it was already established as a premium product? I am also all for the passes being 12 months from the time of purchase, but I would suggest that they work like a subscription in that if you purchase one it adds 12 months to your current pass rather than rendering it null and void. I would be interested in purchasing a Discovery Pass, but only 6 months in don't feel like I would be getting value and would in fact be cutting my time short. Hopefully the deal remains around until the Gold passes expire, because it often feels like early adopters and longer time supporters end up worse off. Having said all that it does sound like a good deal.

Let's hope they can shell out for a proper hard plastic card again like the old style Annual Passes

$150 for 3 parks for a year is still pretty cheap, compared to prices only 3 or 4 years ago. It's still at least (if not more) than 50% off. You deserve a hard pass when you begin paying premium prices for passes, which is not in the foreseeable future. Edited by Bmull19

^^ Comparing this to your RSL to a theme park is a bit of a stretch, but do they also provide rides and attractions? Their main revenue stream is food... But that's besides the point. Gazza has it spot on, though -- Although producing a discovery pass takes a tiny bit longer than a VIP pass for the system.

I certainly like this idea, and intend on getting one when my VIP gold expires, unless they either ramp up the gold offer again to something similar... Since this certainly does appear to be a VIP gold 'on steroids' i'd like to see them offer an upgrade option from the existing gold. Either way whether they do or don't, it is still great value, so I do hope they keep it around long enough for mine to expire.